Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Crystal Airways - new proposed airline

Old Jan 8, 2000, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

A new airlines is being proposed that will feature all first class like seating (4-across) using 757s and will have a single fare per route that they claim will be 40% lower than typical Y fare.

According to their website at http://www.crystalairways.com -
"Our initial routes will be non-stop, Crystal Class service between Tampa and Baltimore, Baltimore and San Diego, and Baltimore and San Jose, California. After our initial certification is completed, we plan to add more B-757 aircraft, at a rate of 1 every 6 weeks, until we are up to fifteen (15) B-757-200 aircraft in our initial fleet. The next cities added will be Atlanta, Chicago, Colorado Springs, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, Portland, Oregon, and Seattle-Tacoma."

As far as frequent flyer miles are concerned, in the article http://www.thetrip.com/completetrave...9_2653,00.html it talks about the fact that the airline recognizes that it will probably have to partner with one of the major mileage programs.

It looks like an interesting concept. If it gets off the ground, I wonder how the majors will respond.
Old Jan 10, 2000, 2:06 pm
Original Member

Only successful airline w/this type of service is Midwest Express--flying DC9s. I think that the 757 would be too big a plane for this type service.
Old Jan 10, 2000, 2:50 pm
dg1

Sounds like JetBlue.. Jetblue is using Airbus's I believe.. I agree 757's may be too big for a startup. Good luck to them.

[This message has been edited by dg1 (edited 01-10-2000).]
Old Jan 10, 2000, 3:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Sounds too good to be true, but I hope it is. I'd jump ship for it. I'm tired of playing the upgrade game with UA.

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 01-10-2000).]
Old Jan 10, 2000, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Let's not trash this idea too terribly before they even start. They may have found the only way to make a 757 comfortable. I, for one, wish them luck! (and hope their FF tie-in is with CO or UA!)
Old Jan 10, 2000, 8:45 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For two, Rich! I'll be tough going for awhile for sure but hopefully they make it work.
Old Jan 10, 2000, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
There was MGM Grand Air a few years back. Pseudo private jet offering transcontinental fares (NYC-LAX?) for $1k or so. Didn;t last. Then again the fuel cost of DC-8s didn;t help.
Old Jan 10, 2000, 11:32 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Frankly I was not that old when MGM Grand was around about a decade ago, but recently did a case study for this collge business class regarding AA's dilemma over whether or not to introduce a three-class transcon product (back in 1990/91). Surprised that MGM failed since the product it offered was supposedly so good... a "coach" class that was similarly priced to coach business fares on other airlines, but which offered service equivalent to other airlines' first class service! And unlike Midwest Express the route was the same (JFK-LAX)as AA, UA,TW, Pan Am, etc-- why is it that a last minute business person would choose to pay the same amount to sit in a crappy seat with 32" of seat pitch? Perhaps the addiction of miles?
Old Jan 11, 2000, 12:06 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Yupp.. the darn Mileage addiction.. the only thing we go is from one to the other.. for the similiar service and same addiction.
Old Jan 11, 2000, 6:53 pm

deleted

Last edited by dflyer829; Apr 13, 2009 at 12:34 pm
Old Jan 11, 2000, 8:02 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Are we talking about the same MGM Grand Air? Or did the JFK-LAX route use different equipment/offer different equipment? I'm referring to the one which operated the route in the early 1990s, operated DC-8 aircraft, started with first-class only service then added a coach class service, and was competitively priced to other airlines.
Old Jan 11, 2000, 10:10 pm

deleted

Last edited by dflyer829; Apr 13, 2009 at 12:34 pm
Old Jan 12, 2000, 2:02 pm

OK guys and girls I flew MGM several times in the early 1980's. My recollection was that they had two or three 727's. After they were sold, they stopped running commercially and took on a DC 8. At this point, it was charter only. When it was commercial, it was about $1,000 each way. Full First on the major's was about $800. There were probably 34 or so seats, never full. When you landed in LA, your baggage was waiting for you in a town car that they provided. The service and food was terrific. I suspect that today...this idea would flourish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.