FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Traveler's Insurance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/286123-travelers-insurance.html)

Axey Dec 15, 1999 7:06 pm

Traveler's Insurance

Can anyone recommend a good traveler's insurance company?

onedog Dec 15, 1999 10:35 pm

Axey:

What type of travelers insurance, medical coverage or trip cancellation insurance?

This past October my wife and I took an overland trip through South Afica. Since part of our trip was through LESS developed portions of the country, our tour company required that we have travelers medical insurance which included medical evacuation coverage because if anything went wrong, you would have to be medivac out. The company we used was very highly recommended and only cost $5/day. Included $100K medical coverages and up to $75K of medical evacuation (back to the US if needed, and I think they would even fly a US doctor to accompany us back on the plane home). Covered expenses were quite extensive and included basically everything and anything. The insurance company was "A Member of the AIG Group of Companies" so we felt secure that they would take our premiums and then disappear when we needed them. We had the "International Medical Coverage for Travel Outside the U.S." policy.

I can't find the application forms (my wife took care of all this stuff), but our actual policy has the following information, The Insurance Company of the State of Pennsylvania (800) 551-0824, from outside US and Canada, (302) 761-3700.

Hope this helps (and that you never need to use it!).

Axey Dec 15, 1999 10:59 pm

onedog: Medical was exactly what I was looking for. I will give them a call tomorrow, thanks for the tip!

johna Dec 29, 1999 9:45 pm

Most of the trip insurance policies exclude coverage for pre-existing condition, but will waive them IF you purchase the insurance within seven days of first putting down $ on the trip. For people with pre-existing conditions that they are worried about during the trip (such as myself with AIDS), this can be an important consideration.

OTOH, I still don't worry about insurance when I'm traveling within the "first world" - I figure that if I'm well enough to leave the US, the likelihood of problems is remote enough and going to a hospital in, say, Amsterdam wouldn't be the end of the world. Besides, the policies tend to be too expensive relative to the costs of my trips.

But for Egypt, you bet I bought the insurance!

Craig6z Dec 30, 1999 6:18 am

I just received a brochure from a travel agent I trust, for a plan called "CSA Vacation Guarantee". The insurance company behind it is CGU, which is massive. The agent said she's had good success with them, handling claims.

Their pre-existing condition waiver is given if you sign-up within 14 days of booking. Additionally, the price is age weighted, and for travelers under age 55, appears to be below the norm.

For example someone under 55 with a trip cost of between $2,501 and $3,000 would pay $90. Seems to me most plans charge around 5.5% of the trip cost. Their phone number is (800)348-9505.

greg99 Dec 30, 1999 7:16 am

Has anyone had any experience w/ the medical evac coverage from Amex Platinum?

I've always had it as sort of a security blanket, but just assumed it was good. Is this the case?

Greg

burkey Dec 30, 1999 7:27 am

While this is not insurance, they have fixed rates with docs in different countries/locations, and membership is free, but would like a donation. The organization is International Assoc for Medical Assistance to Travellers, their website is: http://www.sentex.net/~iamat/mb.html

You may also want to check out International SOS, I'm not sure what sort of individual services they offer, but I know they handle corp accounts. www.internationalsos.com

baobab Dec 31, 1999 10:20 am

onedog, et al, thanks for the info on travellers medical insurance. When you were beating about Africa, did you buy additional anti-theft insurance? We're heading to Africa in March, and I'd like to know that our expensive cameras etc will be covered...

thanks

baobab

Craig6z Dec 31, 1999 11:29 am

Often adding a rider to your homeowners insurance, is the most affordable way to cover expensive camera equipment. Check with your agent.

[This message has been edited by Craig6z (edited 12-31-1999).]