Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Icelandair experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 1999, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Icelandair experiences?

I just booked a $198 roundtrip (+tax) MSP-CPH trip on Icelandair, with a REK stopover on the way home. Anyone flown Icelandair? What can I expect in terms of the usual things we like to talk about here, e.g. meal service, seating comfort, FA attitudes, etc.? I know that FI has a FF program and also is partner with TWA's program, but I'm advised that the cheap special fare I'm on doesn't qualify for credit. Anyone have any experiences otherwise? Thanks...
Old Dec 27, 1999, 7:09 am

We flew FI on a weekend getaway trip in October. All in all I was extremely pleased with their service, good entertainment, punctual, friendly, etc. I remember getting one drink free (wine with meal), all other drinks you had to buy.

I've often considered taking those cheap flights (the $99 each way), but I'm someone who is greatly affected by jet lag, and I just don't think I could stand that hour long stopover in KEF, and then still have to face another three or four hours.

Good, but expensive shopping in the airport, many Icelandic delicacies.

Anyway, to answer your question, I was quite impressed with the service. I did join their FF program, not because I reasonably expect to earn a free flight, but because I like getting weird junk mail. Based on their reward charts, you'd need to live on FI to earn flights; much more so than north american airlines.
Old Dec 27, 1999, 7:49 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I flew BOS-FRA on IcelandAir in August '98. I was very pleased with the service. I arrived late for check-in and had a few hairy moments as they were trying to reaccommodate a cancelled/delayed LH flight, but everything worked out. I too had a superdiscounted fare, and managed to get FI FF miles (this was pre-TWA partnership, which now seems like a better deal for US residents). A friend of mine flew BOS-LHR in October, and did get TWA miles on a cheap flight.

My greatest impression of the flight was that everyone was very relaxed and friendly, both passengers and crew. Nearly everyone was a vacation/student traveler, since few business travelers would stand for the connection in KEF. Most passengers were people visiting children/family/friends in the US or Europe, backpackers, pure vacationers, etc.

The connection in KEF is very smooth, and keeps the 757 from seeming too small. Reykjavik itself (I took a one night stopover) is rather expensive, but if you have a chance touring around Iceland looks to be wonderful.

I'm not sure if this is common practice, but on the KEF-FRA connection (both directions) I asked to be reseated as far forward as possible, and was then assigned to a business class seat. Service was still coach ('real' B-class was rows 1&2 only), but the extra legroom was great. I think that they must have low demand for biz-class, and just sell the remainder as Y-class.

Net analysis: FI was at least as good as any US airline, if one doesn't mind the connection.
Old Dec 27, 1999, 7:50 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
[duplicate post]

[This message has been edited by chalf (edited 12-27-1999).]
Old Dec 27, 1999, 4:01 pm

HotTalk at www.thetrip.com has posts about Icelandair about every 2 weeks (it's the most talked about airline, it seems).
Icelandair has lots of backpackers (not just US but also European). Icelanders travel a whole lot also. Comparable sized US cities can't support an int'l airline. There is also only 1 meal choice in coach.
On the plus side, the FA are friendly enough. Everyone gets a newspaper, though the English language one's run out leaving only Morganbladid (spelling incorrect). Check thetrip.com for more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.