Reload this Page >

CX lounges at YVR and JFK

Old Dec 19, 99, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: statusless these days

I will be travelling Cathay Pacific for the first time this decade in a few days. Has anyone got any opinions about their lounge at YVR? What amenities are there compared to the CP International Empress Lounge (internet terminal?)

Any opinions of their JFK lounge (should be in Terminal 8 now)? Wha other lounges can a OneWorld sapphire member get into?
Old Dec 19, 99, 11:18 pm

For JFK, CX is using the AA Admirals Club lounge. BA lounge may be more exciting... I can't say anything... I am just thankful that CX moves away from that horrific Delta's terminal. The DL Crown Room is a zoo...

For YVR, I really like the CX lounge. I went to both CP and CX lounges. CP lounge has more space, but CX lounges has more magazines available and the food is great. There is sushi, dim sum and all those goodies. It also gets a nice view of YVR airport -- a breathtaking view and the staffs are very nice...

I recommend CX lounge at YVR (both F and C class share the same lounge, so the faciliites are nicer than normal).

Have a good flight!

------------------
Carfield
Menu Scavengers
Inflight food critics
Crazy 8th grade teacher
Old Dec 23, 99, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
Carfield - Does one need to clear immigration and customs in YVR if one is originating from NYC to HKG?

Old Dec 23, 99, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: statusless these days
Celestar:

The plane goes to the international departure area. I am not sure if passengers are allowed off the plane, but if so, they can go into a sterile bonded area.

This is pretty much the same for the JFK-YYZ-HKG flight.
Old Dec 23, 99, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Passengers from JFK are let off plane in YVR for the hour+ layover. From the gate, you can go upstairs to the CX lounge. At that late hour, it is unlikely the Cdn Empress Club will be open, since CX is the only flight heading out from YVR at that time of night. Great food, as mentioned, but at that hour and after a meal enroute from JFK and another once you leave YVR, even dim sum may be too much to face. (They don't have any computers, you'd have to set up your laptop in one of the phone carousels.)

At JFK, the Terminal is the BA/UA Int'l one and the lounge used is the BA Executive Club on the second floor. This would be the only one open to J and F passengers, and oneworld elites travelling in Y class. There is a back door down to the security check and gate. The Admiral's Club is in AA's terminal next door, and not the one you'd use since CX does not operate from that building.
Old Dec 24, 99, 2:24 am

CX's flights operate from the international pier of YVR. You will not need to clear any custom or immigration at YVR if you are coming from the US and your bags have checked through to your final destination. If you are flying CX 889, you will not need to clear any custom or immigration. You will likely park at D54/52 and CX lounge is the only flight around at that time. AC and BR has a daily run to TPE at that late but the AC lounge is only opened till 11:30pm.

Have a good flight...

Carfield

Search this Thread
Search Engine: