Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Nice gesture for FAs?

Nice gesture for FAs?

Old Dec 22, 99, 9:11 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Nice gesture for FAs?

I'm flying Xmas eve day and would like to have something available to give the FAs. I fly UA a fair bit and the FAs usually have been wonderful and I'm, perhaps, feeling a bit of the holiday spirit. Don't want to spend a lot; would like to avoid chocolate (which, I know, is a favorite amenity on this board); and, of course, I'll need multiple, small items. Ideas, suggestions welcome.
Old Dec 22, 99, 10:32 am
Suspended

How about gift cards from a national chain, such as Barnes & Noble?
Old Dec 22, 99, 11:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
A few pocket humor books might also do the trick! They may be in short supply at bookstores now but they are compact and provide some more smiles.
Old Dec 22, 99, 12:10 pm

If you know how many F/As, how about a boutonniere for each?

Or a large box, or two small (one for the back, one for the front) of Jelly Belly jelly beans (48 flavors).
Old Dec 22, 99, 5:51 pm
Commander Catcop

Or be inspired by Rudi and bring small boxes of chocolates.

OMNI about gift certificates (which still has me steaming It's a somewhat long story, sorry...

I'm standing in line to get an AMerican Express gift cheque for a friend at work who gave me this wonderful gift certificate to Ruth's CHris steakhouse (I wanted to cry and I will be taking HER there on it when I have the time.)

Well soemone in front of me asks how to get an Amex gift cheque and I said "I like giving them becuase the person can get whatever they want."

Well Mr. Blusterly Bearded businessman in his designer coat, Gucci loafers and scarf declares to all who would hear "You know giving a gift certificate only suggests laziness and that you don't really care about the person. Well for my "girls" in the office I find out what their sizes are and I get them clothing and jewelry. Giving a gift certificate suggests you really haven't taken the time to give this some thought."

(I have this quote becaus the minute I got out of the AMex office I went somewhere to write this down! I'm still fuming.)

Well, I responded "Personally a gift cheque shows that you do care. And have you seen Macy's today? I have a limited amount of time and I feel it would be selfish of me to just take and NOT give something in return."

Mr. Blustery went ot the Amex window and got angry he could not charge his gift cheque for 50 bucks on his AMex card.

I guess that's his WIFE's GIFT.

ANd remember, it's not the gift but the thought that someone knows you care enough to get something.

My best gifts are not material: friends, hugs , pats on the back, cats rubbing against my face.

Old Dec 23, 99, 2:17 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Catman, I hope you've stop steaming. Life would be better if we could all learn to let go of anger, even at such snotty haughty self-righteous behavior. I think the sizes of the girls at his office (how antiquarian is that?) are none of his business, and clothing and jewelry aren't necessarily very appropriate gifts for fellow employees. (I don't want to say that they are categorically inappropriate gifts, either, since it depends on the kind of relationships and friendships which may have been cultivated.)

Personally, I'm planning to buy small boxes of chocolates to liberally hand out to Alaska employees when I fly Christmas Day. So much the better if they're employees I recognize and remember for good service during the past calendar year....
Old Dec 23, 99, 10:13 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Oooh, I love that boutonniere idea.
Old Dec 23, 99, 10:14 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Also, considering bars of fancy soap.
Old Dec 23, 99, 10:28 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Wish to avoid chocolate because I figure that will be the most commonly received item by FAs.
Old Dec 23, 99, 10:54 am

KatW

Soap is nice, but remember, it's heavy, and your crew may be all male. Flowers cheer up an otherwise dull uniform.
Old Dec 23, 99, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
How about fake bad teeth and Laverne (ala Cher) glasses. The FAs in first class wore such things on a recent flight to Chicago and it was one of the best times I have ever had in my life. What made it so good was that they tried to pull it off straight-faced so watching the reaction of the passengers was hysterical.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: