Wiki Posts
Search

Best Coach Fare Transatlantic Airline Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 1999, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Best Coach Fare Transatlantic Airline Service

All,

I'm going to be flying coach (saving the corp some $'s) and have complete flexibility to fly on any airline I'd like. I was just discussing with a friend that no one seems to rate the travel experience from a coach perspective but "overall." I'll be flying from San Francisco to Amsterdam and have several choices, I'm told: Air France, Swiss Air (via Geneva), KLM, United, Delta, etc.
Can anyone dispense advice on which airlines you like that offer the best "coach fare" service over the atlantic to Europe.

Thanks much!
Old Dec 9, 1999, 6:34 pm
Original Member

I would say the best two choices would be either -

Swissair - SFO - ZRH - AMS

or

Continental - SFO - EWR connecting to Singapore - EWR - AMS
Old Dec 9, 1999, 7:05 pm
In Memoriam

Given the choices you cite, Swissair by 2

lengths, then KLM, the rest bringing up the rear. No contest here. See comments about new Swissair seats in current Conde-Nast Traveler magazine. Finally, ask Rudi and then believe him.
Old Dec 9, 1999, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Really appreciate it. Rudi thoughts??

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 1999, 7:30 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Like ND, I'd go SR here for sure with KL as distant 2nd and CO third.
Old Dec 9, 1999, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Great! Thanks for the advice on SR and they're even running a promotion with Mastercard for a free companion ticket from Jan-March next year. Looking forward to experiencing better service and a nicer trip.
Old Dec 10, 1999, 4:08 am
Original Member

Presumably there is no reason why you can't fly BA via LHR? They are pretty good and attentive, if you are short enough not to mind the rather limited legroom. It seems like an easier itinerary than going via Switzerland.
Old Dec 10, 1999, 11:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I also recommend SR. While I'm not familiar with KLM's service, CO would also be a good choice, especially if they fly a 777 on the transatlantic leg. AF is inferior to SR, but not bad.

You may also wish to consider the departure/arrival times and lengths of connecting flights for your personal preferences, as for example long transatlantic (SFO-ZRH) with a short connection versus two more equal legs (SFO-EWR-AMS), etc.
Old Dec 10, 1999, 11:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
SR

even the connection in ZRH is for sure easier than LHR (after a lot of delay-problems in early summer 99).

I don't know about your mileage-account-preferences/thoughts.

(I myself don't fly SR, if I have reasonable alternatives, for personal/family-reasons I explained extensively last year on this board. I would, partly for my *Alliance-ff-program-preferences fly LH who did a pretty good job renewing their eco-seats - but still less legroom than SR).
Old Dec 12, 1999, 7:43 pm

I didn't check the schedules, but I thing the SR flight from SFO is late so you will get into AMS late in the evening. This may or may not be good for you. Late departures are easier to sleep on, but late arrival in AMS isn't fun.
I flew KLM before. They're ok. Everyone gets a newspaper. They are so surprised if you greet them in Dutch! My spelling is awful, but I think it's "tots ziens" for good bye. They don't have magazines in coach. I flew on an MD-11 SFO-AMS last year. Nonstops are always nice.
Old Dec 12, 1999, 8:45 pm
Original Member

Rudi is right in my opinion - a connection in ZRH would be easier than LHR although I think AMS flights do leave from Terminal Four where your SFO flight would arrive.

------------------
Cheers.

Leo.
Old Dec 13, 1999, 9:17 am
Original Member

I am pretty sure you are right Leroy. It just strikes me as a bit odd to fly 1600 miles out of the way on what is already a 13ish hour flight. Unless of course you like frequent flyer miles
Old Dec 13, 1999, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

I'm leaning toward a connection through ZRH on route to AMS vs. a connection via LHR and am looking forward to trying SA. Thanks folks!
Old Dec 13, 1999, 11:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I hope you mean SR, I understand that SA would allow you some South African sightseeings en route ...
Old Dec 14, 1999, 9:35 pm
In Memoriam

Whatever you do, I would avoid (like the plague) an east coast connection: flying non-stop SFO to Europe (even with a connection there) means a 10+ hour flight, long enough to catch a real night's sleep; connecting on the east coast means two 6 hour flights and more jet lag.

But if I were a smoker, I might feel differently .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.