Reload this Page >

Athens Hotel prices?

Athens Hotel prices?

Old Dec 1, 1999, 2:24 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Athens Hotel prices?

Got an e-mail this morning "letting me know" that my Jan. Munich meeting will now be taking place in Athens (seems the Brits on the task force wanted to go someplace a little warmer than munich in January). Doncha just love technology.

Anyway, had no trouble changing my "lowest-fare non-refundable" ariline tix, and the price change was negligable. So all is well.

I have booked myself at the Athens Hilton, and have been told that my $138/nite rate (including breakfast) is great...but I had read somewhere that Athens was a great deal for hotel rates...and while $138 ain't nuthin' to sneeze at, I thought I remembered it saying about half that for chain hotels. But Hilton says that their rack rate is $390. Am I nutz, or are they?
Old Dec 1, 1999, 2:37 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
They are.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 12-01-1999).]
Old Dec 1, 1999, 2:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
take it!

and I prefer the Hilton and that location (vis a vis the Park with one of the very best italian Restaurants in a villa) to the InterConti.

I'll have a look into my file and will give you some insider greek-restaurants tips (my experience dates 2-3 years back - but in Greece the Restaurants and owners don't change at the US-pace ...).
Old Dec 1, 1999, 3:51 pm

Over the summer, I visted Athens on vacation, and stayed at the Hilton. The Hilton was very nice, and appeared also to be the location of choice for airlines. I think I spotted Delta, KLM, and BA crews there during my stay.

Anyway, it is a great hotel. About forty-five minutes to the airport. Within walking distance to the Acropolis, but I recommend taking a taxi there, since you need all the energy you have to hike up there, but it isn't that bad of a hike. It is about a ten minute walk to the Olympic Stadium, which I jogged at each morning.

Not sure which airline you are flying, but there are two terminals, one new one for Olympic and an old dirty one for all other airlines. Customs was a disaster at the airport. There is no security. People were walking into the baggage hall, and the customs officers didn't care! I didn't depart from Athens, so I can't comment on the departures hall. Be careful, as it is one of the most dangerous airports in the world (by luggage-theft).

Some things in Athens are really cheap, others expensive. The taxi for the 45 minute ride between Airport and Hiton was less that US$10. Food was very expensive. A dinner entree at a regular restaurant would be $25 or higher!
Have a great trip, post if you have any other questions.

BizJet

Slight OMNI-kokonutz: are you the new name for Matt Wald? I think I remember hearing this somewhere, but I'm relatively new to the board. Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 1999, 8:14 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Bizjet: Thanks a million! I'll be arriving on LH...

And yes, I am Matt. See the photo from the website on my FT Info screen for an explination...

------------------
-------------
(formerly Grass Skirt, aka Matt Wald...name suggested by Beckles...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.