Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does the race to imiprove ontime statistics hurt passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 1999, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Does the competition to achieve good on-time statistics hurt passengers, particularly those who are taking connecting flights and are flying on the last flight of the day. If the first flight is late, the connecting flight may take off on time in order to have better on-time statistics. This leaves passengers stranded.
This happened to me yesterday. Scheduled arrival was 8:33 p.m., actual arrival was 9:39 p.m. The connecting flight was at 9:30, but they departed at 9:29 (according to the automated phone line). I arrived at the gate at 9:43p.m. and saw an empty gate. The next flight didn't leave until about 10 a.m. the next day.
Old Nov 29, 1999, 3:12 pm

Virtually the same thing happened to me recently with American. My in-bound flight to O'Hare was delayed, but my out-bound flight to Denver, the last one of the day, took off exactly on time. I get to the gate 3 minutes after scheduled flight time and find no one there. To top it all off, there was a convention in Chicago, so no hotels were easily available.
Old Nov 29, 1999, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Same thing happened to me on a Continental flight SFO-EWR-BOS a few months ago. My originating flight was about 40 minutes late coming into EWR, and after a long run to my gate, I found out that the door was closed even though it was several minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. Fortunately, the equipment was still sitting at the gate. I pounded on the door and they let me in!

They had released my seat, which was an upgrade, and there was nothing left in FC, so I lost the upgrade.

A wholly unsatisfying experience. Second time it's happened to me at EWR. IMO this is one area where UA treats its elites better than CO.
Old Nov 29, 1999, 5:58 pm
dg1

My experience has been on USAirways that they will not hold any flight except the last one of the day. I fly that often from PIT as my originating flight and often we sit for a few extra minutes to let people make it.

I think that's the best policy. The last four flights I've been on USAirways all arrived 15 minutes early and left five minutes early. It works well when every flight is like that
Old Nov 30, 1999, 5:25 pm
Original Member

Don't forget that if they hold the last flight, that flightcrew might not be legal the next morning, leading to another delay...

jl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.