Search

I think I'm allergic to Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 1999, 10:59 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

I think I'm allergic to Los Angeles

It seems everytime I go through L-A I have something strange happen:

Once a group of friends from high school and I got lost and ended up one of the more dangerous neighborhoods (This is what happens when I don't drive.) We got out OK
Twice I had the car I rented break down, once on the freeway, once at a Safeway (I needed PEPSI)
Once I went to the wrong terminal and missed my flight (How was I to know that U-A has several termainls at LAX?)
Once I was stuck at LAX because of bad fog for 9 hours. I got out eventually.

This time: I walk off the plane and start sneezing endlessly for about two minutes. I started scaring people. Then I could not breath and feared I was getting sick for the PIP.

I guess I'm a New Yorker at heart!

Old Nov 15, 1999, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Catman, Everybody is allergic to LA LA Land. That's why they all act like that, like totally!

Not that I didn't enjoy the 60's in SoCal, but it was very, very strange.
Old Nov 15, 1999, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I know when I first moved to the LA area I really did not like it. It was easy to find fault in everything and I thought it was a very frustrating place to live. But I got over that.

My wife had a similar reaction when we first moved to France. But now she wants to retire there.
Old Nov 15, 1999, 12:49 pm
Suspended

I went to school in the LA area for 6 years and, while I had a ball and made many life-long friends in the area, I was always baffled by the culture (or maybe lack of culture) of the city. It just always seemed massive, sprawling, confused and undefined.
I always thought that lack of identity was the result of the fact that almost everybody was from someplace else and there wasn't the real, multi-generational continuity that I have enjoyed so much in all other communities in which I have lived. Maybe it was all there and I was too busy being a 60s kid to notice.

Manhattan is my favorite place to visit because I love the pulse of the City, but Seattle is my favorite place to live. It's just a big small town.
Old Nov 15, 1999, 1:29 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Allergic Rx's to LA and So CAL in general appears to be a particularly common affliction among NYC and former NYC types! Personally, I absolutely love Manhattan but also love to visit So Cal! To me NYC, is also like Seattle, a kind of "big small town" in that it's really just a huge number of smaller communities (blocks) squished very close together! Just my 0.02!
Old Nov 15, 1999, 1:36 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
You are all just jealous of us SoCal'ers. Our awesome weather, our wonderful beaches, our great selections of.....beers, etc. But the best part of living in SoCal is....we got rid of our losing pro football teams! We are stuck with the college teams though.

ps: Punki, please remind Joe that UCLA beat UW last Saturday!
Old Nov 15, 1999, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm originally from Chicago and I always say that Chicago has everything going for it but the weather... and LA has nothing going for it but the weather.

Punki you are absolutely right about the lack of culture in LA. But I must say that Long Beach does have a nice downtown and a specific discrete culture.
Old Nov 15, 1999, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Right, newself. As if I didn't have to live through the agony and the ecstasy, real time. I think it was even worse because we had decided that we would go to the Rose Bowl, if we went to the Rose Bowl. Oh well, we will see how it goes.

We will definitely be going to the Apple Cup (well I'll go if it doesn't rain) big die hard football fan that I am.

Did you know that DTTB fell in the parking lot tonigh and broke her foot? She'll be fine but a bit shaken up.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 11-15-1999).]
Old Nov 15, 1999, 11:26 pm
Suspended

I failed to mention that I do have a few old time SoCal friends whose families have for generations lived in Seal Beach, on the Beach at Newport and on Riverside Drive in Santa Ana. I know there are pockets civilization, but overall it just fragments,and that makes me nervous.

I also am very saddened when I go there because I miss all of the orange groves that used to spread for miles between places like Tustin and Santa Ana......where the freeways now reside. It just makes me wistful for the good old days.
Old Nov 16, 1999, 6:50 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I've got nothing to add to the LA discussion, but since we're talkin' college football, I just wanted to note:

Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi. Tech, Tech, VPI Solarex, Solari Poly-Tech, Vir-gin-E-I. Rae Ri Old VPI Team! Team! Team!

SUGAR BOWL HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, if you really need to know exactly what a hokie is, check out the OMNI threads...
Old Nov 16, 1999, 7:28 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm guessing Punki is not too fond of the new Toll Road through Orange County!
Old Nov 16, 1999, 10:47 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

I guess your post Kokonutz has something to do with L-A but I don't know one college football team from another (except Notre Dame because Holly is a rabid fan.) Well good luck to your team anyway.

Sorry if I offended any Los angeles people by this post. There is one consolation: based on my flights EWR-LAX with that all time wonderful crew, plus knowing friends there I think I'll use LAX as my California Hub.

Old Nov 16, 1999, 11:20 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

OK kokonutz... I now know that a Hokie is not from California (or Muskokee.)

I'm from a college that I don't think had a football team (New York University, class of '84!) Then again I had to work, go to class and do my part for my college radio station so no time for Fraternities or sororities or football or stuff. (the commuting also knocked me out!)

Old Nov 16, 1999, 1:27 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Punki,

DTTB called me last night to tell me that she was clumsy and fell and broke her foot. I asked her who she kicked but didn't get an answer.

As for your orange groves, Disneyland, Edison Field, and the Pond have taken up a lot of them.

Stimpy,

You are so right about Long Beach. I can't comment on Chicago since I grew up here and haven't spent anytime back there but would like to one day!

kokonutz, grass skirt, or Matt Wald,
Please stick to the becks and give up singing the praises of your beloved hokies. Their bubble will burst just like Univ of Wash.

I'm going back to sleep now!

Old Nov 16, 1999, 1:39 pm

It amuses me how people like to belittle LA. Maybe there's just a tiny bit of jealousy because of all the global attention it receives?

As far as people saying there's no culture there, I suppose so, if you ignore all the museums, theater, art galleries, music, and restaurants. I guess it's true that if you keep repeating something enough times, people will actually believe it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.