Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I think I'm allergic to Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 1999, 12:49 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Can't believe that this post has received SO MANY responses for everything from travel related issues to RAIN and SEATTLE!!!

I have never said that L-A does NOT have culture (with the addition of the Getty Museum, the home of the movies, galleries, etc.)

And the best piece of culture: YARDS OF BEER!

NOW I MUST TAKE MY FAVORITE U-A FLIGHT TO L-A and then LONG BEACH and then YARDS OF BEERS WITH BRUDDAR NEWSELF!
Old Nov 18, 1999, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Punki, you'll love Montreal's culture, but you'll need to parlez the Francais to really join in.

Catman, I'm often amazed at how some topics take off here. We can discuss that over Yards if you swing by LB.
Old Nov 18, 1999, 7:21 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
When any y'all pass Long Beach, I'm always happy to tag along to the Yard House, or next door to Margaritaland. For a great old bar, there's Joe Jost's. After PIP, I'm no longer worried that I drink too much. Any one who gets DUIed can have one night at a private lock up, my treat. Why collect Hilton points when you can amass good time credits? (No complementary razor, but there's razor wire. There's no one to help you with your bags, but there's always someone who wants to help you in the shower).

Punki, I only got rained on once in Seattle this summer. Did you see the Ceremonial Masks in Portland and Impressionism in Downtown S-town? Great stuff to see most everywhere!
Old Nov 18, 1999, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Count me as the rare San Franciscan who will admit to admiring and enjoying Southern California.

I just got through spending a few days on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world (Laguna).

The weather was terrific, as is so often the case.

I flew over beautiful mountains on my way into SNA.

LA restaurants are top notch; some very talented people are inventing some very exciting cuisine.

Theatre and art are excellent in LA. The Museum of Tolerance is unique. LA Museum of Art is terrific. (Haven't been to the Getty yet.)

There are more movie theatres showing more movies than anyplace else I know of.

The freeways are amazing, when they work. I drove for half an hour down the Santa Ana Freeway in Orange County, where they are constructing a freeway that is the size of the existing road right next to it. Are they doubling the size of it? Unbelievable.

I had a delicious corned beef sandwich at the Stage Deli in Century City. Why I can't get one in the Bay Area is beyond me.

There are so many hidden treasures in this vast, unknowable city that an outsider can only skim the surface. I love the depth and breadth of the place. It constantly amazes me.
Old Nov 18, 1999, 8:07 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Jailer,

Don't tell Catman about Joe's! That is a Long Beach secret! We'll never be able to pull him out of there.

ps: Isn't it about time we head to Joe's for a schooner and a special?

TALK ABOUT CULTURE!
Old Nov 19, 1999, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'll second Joe's. How many places in LA have pickeled eggs?
Old Nov 19, 1999, 1:34 pm

dgolds, I've been to the Stage in CC 3-4 times...it's a definite winner! Also, every time there I've seen a TV sitcom star or celeb. Last time there the guy who plays Jimmy James on NewsRadio was at the next table (about 2 yrs. ago).

newself, you've been holding back on me. You were wearing a Joe Jost's T-shirt in Hawaii. When I asked you about it you said, "oh, it's just a local bar." I love pickled eggs & beer...

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 11-19-1999).]
Old Nov 19, 1999, 5:46 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Dgolds: there are things I love about southern Calfornia:

*Startinmg point for the Eagles (a very important musical group in my growing up years.)
*San Francisco. The NYC of th West Coast.
Where almost anyone can go and be whoever they want to be.
*The Golden Gate Bridge. Just walking across it.
*Sourdough bread.
*Cable cars.
*San Diego.
*The Del Coronado and its awesome Sunday Brunch.
*The place where I first discovered RUth's Chris (and was treated fairly in spite of dining alone.
*BEST OF ALL: The homebase of BIG BRUDDAR and buddy PremEx, the ravashing wingless, little bro AuH20, heart as big as california dgolds, Flyertalkers honeymooners Ken & Danielle, Franz, Stimpy (who I'd like to meet sometime) and my bodyguard, a hero and my beer buddy, newself. (Sorry if I forget someone!)

OK... now I'm really thirsty. What is this Joe Joint place with great beer? I think brother Newself needs to give me a tour of Long Beach, FAST!

But spare me the picked eggs and anything pickeled. BLEH!!!

Just thinking of it makes me... BLEH!

Old Nov 19, 1999, 10:12 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I see a pub crawl developing here.
Old Nov 20, 1999, 8:28 am

I think we need another Long Beach Flyertalk Get Together and we can have it at Joe Jost's, the oldest bar east of the Mississippi!.

If they can have wedding receptions there, then they can have a FlyerTalk meeting there also!

Besides the pickled eggs and beer, don't forget about the Marmion peanuts and their 1910 roaster!

Don't forget to tell auh20 to meet us there!
Old Nov 20, 1999, 9:17 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Not to digress too much, but I'm very glad to hear the L.A. area finally has decent corned beef. Now if they only had pizza by the slice.

(Remember, for us real Noo Yawkers, the real problem with L.A. is that it isn't like New York!)
Old Nov 20, 1999, 11:33 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
LA's always had great corned beef, you just took your life in your hands getting it. Langers on Alverado and 8th, near MacArthur Park. Neighborhood is beyond hideous, so the place is closed after dark.

Restaurant nearly died, until the subway opened up. It's a ten minute subway run from the Civic Center. Walk from the subway stop to the restaurant, is two minutes.
Old Nov 20, 1999, 9:43 pm

craig6z,

We could always take them to Tommy's downtown, Beverly and Rampart, out by Dodger Statium. I don't think they would mind the chili dripping down there chin from the chilidogs, the chiliburgers, and the chilitamales!
Old Nov 21, 1999, 6:33 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Love the cheap Mexican food at ET's, also in the barrio.

BTW- I think Rich hit the nail on the head. LA and NY are almost like two different countries.
Old Nov 21, 1999, 7:28 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Doc,

Are you talking about El Tepeyac, on Broadway? Actually that's not too awful a neighborhood these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.