Where to Eat in Phoenix?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to Eat in Phoenix?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 1999, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Where to Eat in Phoenix?

I'm going to Phoenix in a couple of weeks for the first time in about 20 years. I would appreciate any restaurant recommendations, especially good Mexican restuarants. I'll be staying near the airport.

Thanks in advance...
Old Oct 18, 1999, 11:52 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I personally love La Parilla Suiza, but as the name suggests, Swiss grille may not be just what you're after. It is wonderful though (actually a chain most of which are in Mexico and there is one in Tuscon).
Old Oct 18, 1999, 12:59 pm
Original Member

I have been out in Phoenix a few times over the last year and my absolute favorite place is the Marco Polo Supper Club. Food is outstanding, atmospehere is great, stars eat there (Tommy Lasorta the last time I was there). It is a bit on the pricey side -- but worth the visit.

--Jim
Old Oct 19, 1999, 6:27 am
Original Member

I was out there this summer and ate very well at a French place in Scottsdale--the Bistro in Scottsdale rings a bell (one block off the main N/S drag in Scottsdale). Also tried Malee's (Thai) which wasn't too impressive (also in DT Scottsdale).
Old Oct 19, 1999, 6:32 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
So many choices but I'll narrow it to three for you:

1. Ajo Al's 5101 N. 16th St. 602-222-9902

Two other locations in Scottsdale. They serve very good food that isn't classic Mexican fare -- more gringo-Mexican. Excellent margaritas.

2. Carlsbad Tavern 3313 N. Hayden Rd. 480-970-8164

Located in Scottsdale. This is the restaurant BlondeBomber believes we own a piece of but it's really just the FT meeting place in PHX (MSG53 on Friday, Blondebomber on Saturday). Excellent southwest/Mexican fare. Make sure you find out what the specials are and don't miss the green chile risotto (just ask for it). If you like hot, their private label habenero sauce is to die for (yes wingless, we will have a bottle for you at the PiP).

3. Los Olivos 7328 E 2nd St 480-946-2256

Also located in Scottsdale. Family owned and operated for 40-50 years. Outstanding authentic cuisine in one of the oldest buildings in Scottsdale (once saved by the direct intervention of Barry Goldwater). Their recipes are some of the tastiest north of the border. Can be crazy on Friday and Saturday nites.

Hope this helps...

Old Oct 19, 1999, 3:14 pm
Alee

Thanks for the replies as I, too, find myself in Phoenix a couple of times a year - it is my stop over point between Colorado and California and I'm always at a loss for some really good food after the drive!

Old Oct 19, 1999, 4:31 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I second the motion for Carlsbad Tavern as I ate there just a couple of months ago and thought the food to be excellent.

I am also fond of Z Tejas located outside the posh Scottsdale Fashion Mall.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop

[This message has been edited by MileageAddict (edited 10-19-1999).]
Old Oct 19, 1999, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Greetings, my friend, DGolds! Just so happens that Mileage Plus suggests RoxSand which, if you belong to Mileage Plus Dining will also get you miles. The chef was just honored with the James Beard Award for Best Chef - Southwest! Since you and I know that Thomas Keller received an even higher award from the same crowd, we can, hopefully, assume that there is great significance in winning! Bon Appetit!

Join Mileage Plus Dining by phoning 1(800) 555-5116.
Old Oct 19, 1999, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I swear I did not click twice!

[This message has been edited by Karen2 (edited 10-20-1999).]
Old Oct 20, 1999, 2:22 am

Programs: Lots
Karen2-- I second your RoxSand suggestion. Very good food. Unfortunately, their participation in the MP Dining program ceased in June of this year. I was very sad to see this happen, but I still go there, miles or not!
Old Oct 20, 1999, 6:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I'll second or third the Carlsbad Tavern.
Old Oct 22, 1999, 9:29 pm

PHX MEX Suggestions:
1-Such Is Life - 3602 N 24 St 602-955-7822 -Best of PHX "Best Authentic Mex."

2-La Hacienda - Scottsdale Princess Resort - 7575 E Princess Dr Scottsdale - 480--585-4848 - Best of PHX "Best Gourmet Mex"

My Favorite:
Ristorante Pronto - Great Italian -3950 E Campbell (40th ST & Campbell)

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by knowitall (edited 10-22-1999).]
Old Oct 23, 1999, 6:20 am

Location: CLE, UA MM, UA Premier Plat, Bonvoy Titanium UA Club
dgolds, hopefully you are renting a car. I've stayed near the airport (once) and not much in the way of walking distance.

HOWEVER, assumming you do have a car, drive to the Hilton @ Tapatio Cliffs...the restaurant, "Different Pointe of View" has a dramatic & panoramic view of Phoenix! Outstanding service, and the food.....extraordinary! It is pricey, but well worth it.
Old Oct 23, 1999, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Thanks for all the recommendations, friends.

I got a call from my client yesterday saying the trip had been postponed indefinitely. Looks like I'll be spending a couple of weeks somewhere in Orange County instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.