Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's That In Yor Shaving Kit !!

Old Aug 12, 1999, 9:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

As a very frequent traveller, there has always been one thing that really gets me. It's the way almost every hotel puts a water restrictor (sp?) in the shower head. I mean, in the morning, all I want is a good strong shower. No dice.

Well; for the last 4 years, I've been packin a pliers (Home Depot; $4.99). I unscrew the shower head and pry out that puppy and get a good shower !

Call me crazy; laugh if you will; but I get a good shower no matter where I am.
Old Aug 12, 1999, 10:59 pm
Original Member

... and you screw it back afterward, right?

Saving water is what most people call conservation of resources i.e. environmentalism.
Old Aug 12, 1999, 11:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
At least you should carry a water-saving shower head that gives you a good shower and saves water (they are available and they do work!)

Wonder what the security people would think?
Old Aug 12, 1999, 11:39 pm

Anything is legal as long as you don't get caught!
Old Aug 13, 1999, 3:38 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
While we're on the subject of hotel showers...

Do they think that everyone is 5 feet tall? 80% of the worlds hotels put the showerhead at the height of an average man's chin. Nothing I love better than bending down to wash my hair.
Old Aug 13, 1999, 6:57 am

MRLIMO: Do you work in Washington too?

Back in my (more) irresponsible youth, I was at a convention in NYC. My boss was a real .... so-and-so.

So I got his hotel key, removed the shower head, placed a bullion(sp?) cube inside and reattached the shower head.

The next day, he walked around all day smelling like chicken broth. It was hard to keep a straight face and answer "no" when he kept asking if we smelled soup.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Aug 13, 1999, 7:03 am
geo1004

Jon: very clever

Old Aug 13, 1999, 9:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Toner It must be nice to have such achievements to share with your friends. And the next guest must have really appreciated any left overs. Wonder what would have happened if "bossy" did not take a shower. We all may have pulled pranks in the past, but to be so proud as to share such an event, suggest that you still may need to grow up.
Old Aug 13, 1999, 11:56 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

ranles- Such ice cold water - but you are not wrong! Perhaps Jon notified the front desk that there was a "problem" with the shower- just to be safe for the next incoming patron!

I'm not so sure I'll enjoy my next shower on the raod so easily- might have to do some checking first!
Old Aug 13, 1999, 6:11 pm

Ranles and Doc:

I removed the cube (or 1/4 cube, actually) the following evening when we admitted our mischief.

I never said I was proud of it. It was just a funny story, submitted for amusement purposes only. Along the same lines of stupid pranks one pulled in college.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

[This message has been edited by Jon Toner (edited 08-13-1999).]
Old Aug 14, 1999, 7:01 am

Jon Toner,

I enjoyed a hearty laugh from reading of your youthful missdeeds. Did he go on to write "Chicken Soup for the Soles" ? You know what they say, laughter is the best medicine. Ranles, you might try more bran in the morning.
Old Aug 16, 1999, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
NJ David--in reply to your post about the showers designed for people 5' tall and under. The people who design those showers are the same ones that do interior design in airplanes--the same ones who leave enough knee room for someone 5' and under.
We tall women don't like bending over to wash our hair either, but then we're used to bending over backward to get things done. LOL.
Old Aug 17, 1999, 8:39 am

Those restrictor valves are a real pain to get out without tearing them up. I usually carry a (small) pair of vice grips and an old water massage shower head - then just swap them out. Usually only do this if I'll be staying for more than a couple of days.

One of these days I'll try and figure out how to visit Canada's version of Home Depot and how to bring a non-water-saving toilet back with me!

Cheers,

'toad
Old Oct 14, 1999, 7:34 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Just got back from Vegas; stayed at Paris. But that damm shower! Got out my pliers and withing 10 mintutes I had 25% more power. 22nd floor. NoTrickRick strikes again!
Old Oct 14, 1999, 10:19 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Good move Rick. When I was at Paris-LV late last month, my wife complained bitterly about the shower pressure.

Guess I'm going to have to get my plumbers union card, and follow in your footsteps.

[This message has been edited by Craig6z (edited 10-14-1999).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.