Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

prevent injury-no heavy bags in the overhead?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 1999, 10:57 am
Original Poster

I have read about and seen people get hit by heavy bags from the overhead bins. Some airlines (US for example, although I don't mean to pick on US specifically) asks that larger bags be put in the overhead and smaller ones under the seat. Shouldn't this be reversed? As recently as 1984, I flew aboard a plane that had only a coat rack (overhead with no doors), but that's a topic for nostalgia.
Old Sep 16, 1999, 11:18 am
Commander Catcop

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought I heard some F-A's on U-A say they recommend that the heavier bags be put in the seat in front and the lighter bags in the overhead to prevent injury.

It could be a bad wack in the head to be hit by one of those suitcases!
Old Sep 16, 1999, 11:29 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, I got "bonked" on the head once from an overhead bin "suitcase bomb" and it did startle me. As the FA rushed over to inquire about me, I told her "Please don't worry about me- I have a great attorney!" I was joking of course and fine but this would not always be the case. Better locking latches, it seems, might help also.
Old Sep 16, 1999, 11:30 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Travellight.....

Either you misunderstood or the FA was dislexic.....every flight I am on asks for heavier bags under the seat infront of you...

Dorian
Old Sep 16, 1999, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
the announcements that i've heard have always been of the "larger bag in the overhead" variety.

i agree, though, that the real issue is weight and not size.

unfortunately, the bags that are too big to fit under the seat, probably weigh more just because they're bigger and can hold more stuff.

conversely, some small bags that are densely packed with books or laptops or other heavy items can be pretty darn heavy, too.

regardless of the size of the bag, a heavy one in the overhead has the potential to be much more dangerous than a lighter one.
Old Sep 16, 1999, 11:53 am
dg1

Normally USAirways says on full flights 'Due to our full flight we ask that you place your large bags in the overhead and use the space in front of your seat for your smaller bag.'

They are talking about larger rather than heavier... They can go hand in hand but dont have to.
Old Sep 16, 1999, 1:05 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Okay, good point, I have heard this as well....larger bags in the overhead....

Maybe the airlines should write a consistency manual in their supposed 'overhaul' of passenger service.

Dorian
Old Sep 16, 1999, 2:26 pm

A somewhat altitudinally challenged colleague of mine slipped a disc & is out of work for the next 3 months (5-6 months total) because she attempted to heave her (heavy, overpacked) roll-aboard into an overhead bin.

Cheers,

'toad
Old Sep 17, 1999, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Many of your posts are right. US says large bags overhead, UA says under seat, and CO say (occasionally) no wheeled carts overhead. From my experience, BA loosely enforces weight (9 kg) if the bag looks big. Some European carriers are very strict and allowing only 1 small bag, but many American carriers allow a lot more. I am agreeable to a small briefcase and 1 larger bag (such as a garment bag or roll-on bag). Allowing garment bags are important because it's the business traveller than sustains the airline. (The LGA-DCA shuttle flights are interesting--many have only a thin briefcase!)
Old Sep 18, 1999, 6:24 pm
In Memoriam

Sometimes I'm incredulous at what others consider "carry-on." They look more like steamer trunks to me!

As for getting an attorney, do: an acquaintance of mine got conked on an American flight. He had an attorney friend send a letter (on letterhead), and American offered a $500 voucher. I don't believe in unreasonable claims, but maybe if it starts hurting the bottom line the airlines will clamp down on some of the unreasonable carry-ons.
Old Sep 20, 1999, 9:32 am
Original Member

I know I'm a mavrick on this point here, but I advocate eliminating the overhead bins, which gives me room to stand at my seat and reduces the risk of in-flight injury, and also speeds up the boarding and departure process.
I might be able to get to the gate ten minutes ahead of departure time, instead of thirty, if we didn't all have to wait for prople trying to find places to stow their foot lockers.
Old Sep 20, 1999, 3:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Well said philforest. The checked stuff usually does not take so long at MOST airports.
Old Sep 20, 1999, 3:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
not a bad idea philforest - but I would need, at least with those seats where it is impossible to store handluggage under the front seat (many UA 777 seats) alternatives. AFter the recent thefts out of my checked luggage - I (and Gisela with her load of jewellry) hesitate even more to check in valuables (and medicine, books, vouchers, first night and day clothing, business-papers).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.