Dublin Pub-crawls (NY Times)

Old Sep 20, 99, 5:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Dublin Pub-crawls (NY Times)

from the NY Times, Sunday, sep-19-99

Dublin Pub Tours

To raise a toast or two to Dublin's literary heritage, you should contact Colm Quilligan, the founder of Dublin Literary Pub Crawl Ltd., at (353-1) 670-5602 or (353-87) 263-0270, or by fax at (353-1) 670-5603. There is also www.dublinpubcrawl.com , but at last check, it had information only on the company's Paris Literary Promenade.

Mr. Quilligan said the Dublin tours are offered nightly at 7:30 and at noon on Sunday from Easter to the end of October, and on Thursday to Sunday at 7:30 P.M. and Sunday at noon the rest of the year. For two and a half hours, two actors lead the walkers to four pubs and other sites in Dublin to perform scenes by famous playwrights and novelists and have fun with a literary quiz (there are prizes).

A typical tour, Mr. Quilligan said, starts at the Duke on Duke Street, with extracts from "Waiting for Godot" and "Ulysses." Oscar Wilde is the main subject at Trinity College and a stop at O'Neill's pub nearby, then it's off to the Bank of Ireland (the Old Parliament House) and the next pub, the Old Stand, a haunt of Brendan Behan. Finally, the tour heads for Neary's and Davy Byrne's and the finale: a full-length performance of Beckett's 30-second play, "Breath."

At the rate of $1.33 to the punt, the evening costs $8.65, $7.30 for students, not including drinks. And you might want to bring your autograph book. Mr. Quilligan says the crawls have been joined on occasion by such actors as Kathy Bates, Brian Dennehy and Ian McKellen.
Old Sep 20, 99, 7:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
Just what I needed: another reason to get to Dubin in '00!!!
Old Sep 20, 99, 8:02 am

I looked at the topic heading and thought - great there's a FlyerTalk get-together that I'd fly half-way around the world to go to!
Old Sep 20, 99, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Cool! Joe and I will be in Dublin in September 2000. Sounds like a great thing to do.

Old Sep 20, 99, 1:34 pm
Commander Catcop

It could give me an excuse to go to Dublin too.

But aren't these pub crawls dangerous (never been on one... all I know is that the folks at work do them and then are in no condition to do anythign the next day!)

Old Sep 20, 99, 1:36 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Catman I promis - most can do just another pub crawl the next day/evening!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: