FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Hawaii suggestions? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/285808-hawaii-suggestions.html)

SANspotter Sep 12, 1999 6:28 pm

Hawaii suggestions?

Work has been getting pretty nasty, and I think it's time for a quick getaway in the next coming weeks. I'd like to escape to Hawaii for a few days, and I'd be interested to hear what island/location people here rate the highest.

I've been to Oahu/Honolulu/Waikiki a couple times, and I'd like to try something different this time. I'm not looking to spend alot...the cheaper the better actually. I just need to sit on the beach for a few days and clear my head!

Your opinions?

Thanks!

-Scott

Vulcan Sep 12, 1999 7:44 pm

The Big Island is the best! Lava, Volcano's National Park, Disney World West (Hilton Waikoloa). There is plenty to see and do. If you need a place to stay, check out www.Konacondos.com I rented an OCeanfront Condo for about $800/wk and was very pleased.
Enjoy. I'm envious.

[This message has been edited by Vulcan (edited 09-12-1999).]

flyme2 Sep 12, 1999 8:49 pm

My favourite still has to be Oahu. It is by far the cheapest, most diverse and stimulating of all the Sandwich Islands. You cannot get bored, unless you want to.

Beautiful quiet beach: Lanikai
Watch world class surfing: Sunset Beach
Watch the local teens show off: Sandy Beach
Watch the tourists show off: Waikiki
Great picnic beach: Kailua
"Big Sur" type beach: Yokohama Bay
Snorkelling with the fishes: Hanauma Bay
Local boogie boarding: Makapuu Beach
Great isolated waterfall/pond: Manoa Falls
Great views the easy way: Punchbowl
Great views with a little work: Diamond Head
Great city picnic beach: Ala Moana Beach Park
Easy BBQ: Fort de Russy Beach's hibachis

What more do you need?

PremEx Sep 12, 1999 9:20 pm

Scooter, I don't know what airline you like to fly but United has special internet fares right now that might fit into your plans. www.ual.com

doc Sep 12, 1999 9:47 pm

(1)Kaiua (most traditional Hawaiian and yet diverse), (2)Hawaii (most unique) and (3)Lanai (most quiet and sophisticated)

jet Sep 12, 1999 9:59 pm

If you're into the outdoors, I recommend Maui. My visit there last year was the best week of my life.

There are plenty of resorts on the west coast, complete with golf and all the amenities. When I visited, we were there to see everything that didn't have anything to do with civilization, so we didn't do any of that. But there are plenty of trails, hikes, horseback, mountain biking, kayaking, and sunrises to see. Watching the sun rise above the clouds at 10,023 ft. atop Haleakala is one of the most liberating experiences of my life. Then take the 20 mile hike through the crater. Also, Seven Pools and Waimoku Falls, if memory serves me, on the east coast. The road to Hana. And then break the car rental contract and take the off roads back... http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

I've also seen Oahu, which is good if you're not so devoted to the outdoors. Maui is much less developed, but that's the way I like things...

RichG Sep 12, 1999 10:28 pm

Just thought of a great name for UA to use for an HNL promotion: "Book 'em, Dano!"

------------------
I'm only in it for the mileage

MileJunkie Sep 14, 1999 11:27 pm

jet, you are absolutely right - Maui is tops!
We went there twice, once w/out kids, once with them (15 and 11, good travelers), and loved every minute of it!
Do the Road to Hana, visit the 7 boiling pots, go to the top of Haleakala (what a view all the way to the top!), snorkle, and just drive around.
I've been to the Big Island, Oahu - also great, but not as beautiful as Maui.

TropicalFlyer Sep 15, 1999 4:45 am

Aloha Scooter,

If you want very quiet relaxation and I mean quiet, I would go to Kauai. I prefer the south coast in the Poipu region. If you can afford it, the Hyatt Kauai is unbeatable. For more economical lodging, an interesting place to stay is the Garden Isle Cottages Oceanfront which is located on a small bluff overlooking the ocean. You can check it out at www.ivacation.com/p5858.htm.

Maui has more to do than any of the other neighbor islands. It's also the most developed of the neighbor isles. I think you'll be able to see evidence of this as soon as you leave the airport and pass the huge Costco and K-Mart complex.

I stayed at the Prince Hotel in Makena on the Wailea side last month and it was very peaceful and lush. You may be able to use one of the UA 50% off certificates for this hotel since it's a Westin.

In the Kihei area, it's mostly condos either on or across from the beach. If I'm staying for more than a couple of days, I like the condos since they have kitchens and washer and dryers. Many of the condos also have tennis courts, jacuzzis, barbeque areas and even restaurants.

If you want the feel of a small, touristy town then staying in Lahaina would be good for you. The Lahaina Shores Hotel is actually a condo complex right on the beach. Their website is www.classicresorts.com. Next month I'm staying at the Lahaina Inn. This Inn was restored by the owner of Crazy Shirts. It has 12 rooms starting at $99 and up which includes continental breakfast. Another big plus is that the Inn houses David Paul's Lahaina Grill which is a fantastic restaurant. Their website is www.lahainainn.com.

The Kaanapali coast is another choice in Maui. The Westin Maui has the neatest pools and waterslides. I would skip eating there though and go next door to the Hula Grill or Barefoot Bar. The downside about the Kaanapali coast is that bargains are hard to find.

Finally, you can also try staying at least one night on the slopes of Haleakala. This puts you close to seeing a totally amazing sunrise. The Silver Cloud Ranch is the place to stay here. Try and get one of the rooms with the fantastic views of the other islands. On the plus side, a full ranch breakfast is included in the price. Their website is www.maui.net/~slvrcld.

I hope this helps you.

[This message has been edited by TropicalFlyer (edited 09-15-1999).]

[This message has been edited by TropicalFlyer (edited 09-15-1999).]

ranles Sep 15, 1999 9:13 am

If you would really like to "do in on the cheap" then bring a t-shirt, sun block and a bathing suit. Plan on staying at a number of beaches and parks that are free and allow overnights. I know lots of people that have done this. No tent really required. Not even a sleeping bag, just sleep on your towel.

Easiest, rent a cheap car, bring some food with you in a ice chest, and buy the parishavbles there. BBQ, swim, snorkle, watch the sunset and bring a book. That is relaxing in Hawaii on the cheap. This life still is available on Maui, Hawaii and Kauai. Most places provide water, BBQ pits and toi's. Some have miles of open beaches for camping without charge!

SANspotter Sep 15, 1999 10:56 am

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone who responded...definitely some great suggestions!

I'll probably make my reservations this weekend, and right now, I'm leaning towards Maui. But we'll see what I feel like the day I book it! ;-)

-Scott

johna Sep 18, 1999 6:44 pm

If you choose the big island, be sure to visit the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden near Hilo. And the volcano (as mentioned above) is well worth visiting. Most people do it in a day trip from Kona (or even attempt the entire circle trip), but a better idea is an overnight near the Volcano. We stayed at Kilauea Lodge ($110), and enjoyed their restaurant as well.

Efrem Sep 20, 1999 8:14 am

The key, as TropicalFlyer pointed out in his first few words, is "what do you want to do?" (TF is on target; he/she's from there.) The islands are incredibly varied. A hiker would love places a surfer would hate, and vice versa. Someone who wants to lie in the sun would have other preferences, as would a snorkeler or a historian.

If you like getting into nature on your two feet, I'd suggest Haleakala on Maui, the northwest corner of Kauai starting from the end of the road by the wet and dry caves, and the volcanos on the Big Island. All very different from each other.

If you like history and you'll be on the Big Island, try to find a copy of Van James's book "Ancient Sites of Hawai'i (published by Ho'omana'o Arts in Honolulu, 1995). It will point you at lots of interesting things you would otherwise be sure to miss.

If you go to Kauai, take a helicopter tour. Most leave from the main aiport at Lihue, but one (I forget which) leaves from an airstrip midway along the south coast and gets in more of the good stuff because it starts closer. You miss the eastern end of the island, but I don't think it's as interesting from the air.

Enjoy your trip!