Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seattle & Vancouver, BC tips

Old Sep 2, 99, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

I'm planning to spend 2-3 days in Seattle and 2 days in Vancouver, BC from Sept 16 to Sept 20. Any suggestions on must do/see? I'll have rental car so transportation is taken care of.

My wife and I want sight seeing in and around the downtown areas; this is our first visit to Pacific NW. We want defer cultural stuffs to later visits. Since one of my best friend is moving to Seattle this weekend, I'm sure that I'll be visiting Seatle often.

BTW please no Charbucks, oops, Starbucks. I want to try coffee other than Charbucks... We have plenty of those in Wash DC area. And please don't get me started on Microsoft. I pity those who never worked on OS other than MS Windows and DOS...

Lastly, where's the best place to view Seattle's night skyline?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Dan
"It is not doing the things we like to do, but liking the things we have to do, that makes life blessed." - Goethe

[This message has been edited by dilbert (edited 09-02-1999).]

[This message has been edited by dilbert (edited 09-06-1999).]
Old Sep 2, 99, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
When will you be here?

What do you like to do?

Seattle is one of those kinds of places where there is enough to do to fill up a couple of weeks, so it really just depends on your tastes.

Obviously you seem to like airplanes. In addition to the Boeing Plant at Everett, we also have a very fine Museum of Flight at Boeing Field. We have every kind of water sport, hiking experience and amazing outdoor recreation possibilities of all kinds. We also have theaters, museums, and a very good ballet, symphony and opera. YOu could also examine the flag ship facilities for REI, Nordstrom, Eddie Bauer, Starbucks and, of course, ogle the Microsoft Campus and, if you so desire, Bill's loverly waterfront home during a water tour of Lake Washington.

Let me know your interests and I'll get you more info that specifically relates.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 09-02-1999).]
Old Sep 2, 99, 5:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Pacific Science is a must if you have family with you, or even by yourself.

NW Trek, a bit of a drive but great animal adventure for the family.

Little know doll museum in Bellevue, if you are so inclined.

Everyone will tell you Pikes, the Aquarium (it is well worth visiting), etc.

Personally, I found Boeing field to be a yawner (both of them). Even when the Stealth was there.

Have fun. I will be there 11th-14th, America West, visiting friends.
Old Sep 2, 99, 7:17 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
I also thought the Boeing plant was a snooze. You have to arrive very early to get tickets for that day and then you just look down at the planes from an observation deck. REI store is very cool.

Vancouver is a wonderful city. Incendio, 103 Columbia, is a casual, inexpensive restaurant in a funky part of town with 22 different wood-fired pizzas and wonderful homemade pastas. Decent wine and beer list. The neighborhood is pretty mixed, but it's a wonderful place to eat. The art on the walls is pretty fun too.

You can rent bikes near Stanley Park in Vancouver and then ride along the seawall. I think it's about a 5-mile loop around the park. Very pretty and there are beaches along the way.

There's two suspension bridges in Vancouver that are pretty fun. The Capilano, 230-feet high and 450-feet long, charges admission about $6 US to get in and is pretty commercial. The Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge, about half as long but 10 feet higher, is free and is in a wooded park that has beautiful hiking. It's easy to take public transit to Capilano, but I think you might need a car to get to Lynn Canyon.

Granville Island has a colorful public market and many artists' studios to wander through.

Have fun and bring foulies.

Old Sep 2, 99, 7:58 pm

Location: Madison, WI, USA; NW Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I was in Seattle a couple of weeks ago for the first time. One thing that I REALLY enjoyed was the Underground Tour. It's pretty inexpensive (less than $10) and you learn a lot about the city's history in a really fun way.

Of course you have to see the flying fish at the Pike Place market and there are a lot of other "touristy" things to do. But I'd put the Underground Tour at the top of my list.
Old Sep 2, 99, 11:01 pm
Original Member

Someone asked about Vancouver a couple of months ago. Here's the thread:

http://talk.flyertalk.com/forum/Foru...ML/000236.html

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Sep 3, 99, 1:35 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I lived in Vangroovy for 3 years....miss it so much. After travelling the entire globe and seeing some of the most important cities in the world, Vancouver is still #1 for me. I know Seattle fairly well (my girlfriend lived there) but I prefer Van. 3 to 1 over Seattle any day (except for a good night of debauchery).

A few places to check out (now I am homesick):

Barneys on Granville St. (@14th) - great for breakfast! Lineups on the weekend.

Coffee @ any Bean Around the World - forget Starbucks!

C! Restaurant on False Creek - seafood ($$$$) Awards coming out there ying yang...most dishes served on a thick piece of slate.

If not raining - walk the seawall on Sunday around Stanley Park.

Take the gondola to the top of Grouse Mtn. - great view of the lower mainland (if clear out). This may seem a bit touristy but it is a great view and helps you understand the layout of Van. (which is weird).

If flying out from YVR - go early to The Flying Beaver near the South Terminal (by car). Have a great local beer and watch the float planes take off and land. Maybe even have a light lunch.

Dinner @ Allegro, my favourite restaurant (604) 683-8485. Not super trendy but a great place where the owner is always there!

Dorian

p.s. any other questions?! no problem!

[This message has been edited by Dorian (edited 09-03-1999).]
Old Sep 3, 99, 8:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
Check out the Yaletown Brewery, a nice little brew pub with good food, in Vancouver. Yaletown is just a short, pleasant walk from the sea wall.
Old Sep 3, 99, 9:17 pm

I love Seattle and Vancouver! Someone mentioned the REI store, but not the coolest part about it -- it has (reportedly) the highest indoor climbing structure in the world, and you can climb it for free (if you are an REI member) or for a nominal fee.

The only catch is that the line to climb is long. I got the wrong scoop on when the store opened, and arrived an hour late -- to a 3 hour wait! However, the store was fun to browse, and there was a tasty restaurant upstairs, so the time passed pleasurably.

The climb was awesome! Check it out.

As far as Vancouver, check out funky little Granville Island and those cute little water taxis. Fresh produce and french pastry -- yum!
Old Sep 4, 99, 11:12 am
Original Member

When in Seattle, don't even THINK about getting your coffee any place but Tully's. Yum!
Old Sep 4, 99, 2:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL FO, UA PLT
If you like Asian Fusion, try Noodle Ranch in Belltown in Seattle at 2228 2nd. Very nice.

I really liked the Alexis Hotel at First and Madison. Rates around $125 per night during the week and the rooms were HUGE. The bathroom on one of my stays was bigger than my studio in Silicon Valley.

Walk around the UWashington campus--very nice.

The Rainier Brewery used to give tours.
Old Sep 4, 99, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
How about a flying tour on a floatplane from a couple of spots around town?
Old Sep 6, 99, 6:49 pm
In Memoriam

In Vancouver I went to a northwest Indian ("native Canadian"?) restaurant whose name escapes me. I believe it was on Davie Street; your hotel concierge can probably identify it. It was in a basement, and didn't feel "touristy" at all. The food was very unusual (that's a compliment) and delicious (those two sometimes don't go together). Something you won't find anywhere else.

And if you're a jogger (or just a walker), the 6.2 mile seawall around Stanley Park has the most spectacular views of any joggin path I've found. Plus it's pretty much flat!
Old Sep 6, 99, 9:12 pm
Original Member

Seattle must see:

Snoqualmie falls.

Old Sep 9, 99, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I agree with JohnA about the restaurant but cannot recall the name. It changed names since I lived there in the 70's when it was called Muckamuck and served salmon, Indian style, and fiddle head ferns...sat on wooden benches in a field of smooth stones. Old timers in Vancouver will know. However, for nearly the same food without the long house atmosphere but with a view, try Salmon House on the Hill in W. Van.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: