Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

A new Cat Trick that sometimes works

A new Cat Trick that sometimes works

Old Sep 13, 99, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I didn't even consider buying a full-fare refundable ticket just to get into the gate area. I don't know the exact rules for ticket refunds (i.e., can they be refunded 3 hours before the flight? 1 hour? 10 min?), and was afraid that I might lose major $$$ if the refund was refused. Besides, I asked the agent at the Information Desk if there was anything I could do to get into the gate area, and she gave me a very firm "No."
Old Sep 13, 99, 6:10 pm
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
The full fare trick works to get a passport too. According to the Chicago passport office, you can only get a passport same-day if you have a flight within 72 hours. Otherwise, it's a 7-10 day turnaround. So what if your flight is 6 days out? You're up a creek...

unless you buy a full fare refundable ticket, use it to get your passport, and then refund it. She did this, telling United beforehand that this was her intention, and they didn't care at all.

I found this quite amusing... but I don't know when the refund is good until. I think it's good even after the scheduled flight...
Old Sep 13, 99, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, ICH Spire
In airline-speak, I think issuance of a boarding pass is equivalent to "checked-in". If you are checked-in but do not board, doesn't that create a security problem for the airline?

(& it's possible that the domestic and int'l answers are different.)
Old Sep 13, 99, 9:16 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
I've never had a problem getting ito any CO lounge with my CO President's Club card. I've picked my wife up many times at EWR. They allow everyone onto the concourse as long as you go through the security apparatus. I have often thought that I have discovered the way to ensure I will never starve. Buy a Presidents Club Card and I can eat (and drink) all day, every day, at the President's Club. What a deal!!!!(Incidentlly, they have the most delicious crumb cake every Saturday morning. I actually plan to leave earlier when I fly on Saturday to be sure I get some, and pack some away for later in the day, and next day, and.......)

[This message has been edited by Vulcan (edited 09-13-1999).]
Old Sep 14, 99, 3:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond
I routinely fly EWR-ATL, which leaves EWR's Terminal A. I hardly ever check baggage, so I arrive at the security gate without a boarding pass b/c I check in at the gate. Every time this has happened, they've asked for my ID to prove that I am who I am and let me pass. I suppose this might work in other places as well.

Last edited by mrichmond; Sep 5, 07 at 11:44 am
Old Sep 15, 99, 12:14 am

Programs: SkyMiles MM, HHonors Gold, Avis, Hertz
Seems the rule applis to greater NY area airports. I saw it enforced at LGA, EWR and JFK, posted but not enforced at BOS. Everywhere else I fly (MSP, ATL, LAX, YYZ, etc.) anyone can walk anywhere. I wonder why is it? Is it due to a large number of foreigners arriving in NYC?
Old Sep 18, 99, 7:54 pm
In Memoriam

Boarding pass shouldn't be required for entry into the secure area - lots of us avoid the front ticket counters, and either have carry-on luggage or check it at the curb. I've never had a problem with a valid ticket (not yet checked in) for that day's flight, so a refundable ticket (and never do check in!) should work just fine.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: