Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

? O'Hare overnight stay

? O'Hare overnight stay

Old Sep 13, 1999, 4:42 am
Original Poster

? O'Hare overnight stay

My son and daughter in law will be transiting in ORD for one night in February on the way from LHR to Australia .
My boy has poor vision and I'm a little concerned about his safety.
I'm wondering if it would make sense to stay at an airport hotel and ? commute into the city for a look around.They arrive at 1400 hrs on Saturday and depart 1830 hrs on the Sunday. Rates in city hotels seem very high.
Is the train from ORD to the city generally safe?
Could anyone suggest a safe and affordable airport hotel or an alternative?
Do most airport hotels allow a late checkout?
Many thanks for considering this.
Ozflier

Old Sep 13, 1999, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The train into the city is OK as long as you use it during commuter hours and don't look too touristy. Definitely do not use this train at night if you aren't a native and look large and mean.

A hotel in the city will be much more fun, but if you are concerned about getting lost, I guess the airport Hyatt would be OK. It's a bit noisy with all the planes flying nearby. I stayed there once and couldn't sleep with all the jet noise.

If your son has any of the hotel elite cards, he can do a late checkout. Otherwise it will depend on how full the hotel is and what the demeanor of the front desk clerk is. I would check the web for decent rates downtown. There should be something affordable they can find in the city.
Old Sep 13, 1999, 7:38 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Typical US city- it may seem like it might be threatening and not be safe, but it's likely okay- the odds are certainly with you. Obviously the day is far better than night too!

Remember, unless it shows somehow, no one will know that he has such bad vision and he also does have company.

Last year the train (fast ~40min, especially during rush hour) I think was only $2. to downtown while a cab was about $30.

There are quite a few airport area hotels with rates of US$60.-100. like Comfort Inn in Elk Grove Village (www.comfortinn.com) or the less desirable Days Inn Chicago O'Hare West or South (www.daysinn.com). Both offer a free breakfast as well.

If it's a weekend, then you are far better off 'cause you can snag a great room at a higher quality major chain like Marriott or Hilton with breakfast and possibly service to and from the airport as well.

Best of luck and don't worry, though as a parent I know it is very difficult not to!
Old Sep 13, 1999, 8:07 am
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
The blue line el into downtown is generally safe, during daylight hours. The ride costs $1.50 one way. The only questionable part of this journey is as you head into downtown, you'll pass through "uptown" which used to be where all the money was in the 20's. Now, it's kind of run down and you might get some riff raff boarding the train there. But as already mentioned, during daylight it's fine. I used to ride it all the time as a kid and I'm still here...

There are some good deals on hotels downtown, although you will generally pay more for them than a hotel by the airport. However, I'd suggest taking the el during daylight into downtown, getting a hotel there, and then taking the el back out to the airport the next day before their flight. As opposed to taking a cab at night into/out of the city and staying by the airport. You'll make up the savings right there. I'm sure the major hotels downtown can be had for $100 with enough advance notice and "special deals." If not, then you can always use my favorite standby, the Travelodge on Harrison. It's just north of the Loop, and it's a tad run down but comfy, and can be had for $50-$70.

As for late check-out, why bother with that unless you are that intent on sleeping in and missing all the excitement of a weekend in Chicago. Check out normally, then have the hotel hold their bags while they go out on the town for the afternoon. Then claim the bags and head back to the airport...

And make sure you have pizza at Uno's or Gino's East, for that Chicago style taste ya can't get anywhere else... (let's not get into a discussion about pizza here... believe me, I like the pizza in Italy at least as much as Chicago... just a different beast, that's all.)
Old Sep 13, 1999, 8:57 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Wasn't there a post here with someone's success at securing O'Hare hotels for very reasonable prices using Priceline? I'd put in a bid of $60-$80 for a 3 star hotel on Priceline at O'Hare and see what you get ... if that doesn't work, try 2 star, which should still be fine ....
Old Sep 13, 1999, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
ozflier,

If they were my kids, I'd have them stay right downtown, if not right on Michigan Avenue, then within a block or two and definitely along the Magnificent Mile. There is just so much to do and see in that area. You might check-out the Raphael Hotel, it is small, with an excellent location and as I recall, it had reasonable rates. Check the internet for good weekend rates and check the bigger hotels to see if you can use a UAL 50% off certificate. If you can, I'll send you one, if you'd like.

The transportation options are train, shuttle and taxi. The shuttle and/or taxi would both run about $30.00 each way for two as I recall. There are probably people with a lot better idea on this as I alway forget how much stuff cost. I have abslutely no idea how much the train is, but it is kind of interesting in the DAYTIME and certainly safe enough. Bear in mind, however, that there is no escalator downtown so that would mean carrying their luggage up and down a couple of flights of stairs.

Even if they can't do a late check-out, they can park their stuff with the bellman for a few hours while they continue their sightseeing.

Chicago is a great city.

Old Sep 13, 1999, 10:42 am
Commander Catcop

I think there are also airport van services that would take you to the hotel and back. Check with the consierge at the hotel you decide to end up staying.

Take downtown if can, Michigan Avenue esp. Try Beckles Priceline and maybe you can get a decent rate (Priceline never worked for me, but maybe becauase I am a cat.) There is a lot to see and do check out the cows around Chicago (and if you get by the Flyertalk cow in front of the Wrigley building on Michigan Ave tell her the CATMAN says MEOW!)

Subway is ok, but make sure you ONLY TAKE IT in DAYLIGHT HOURS. I would go with the van personally but that's just me.

Old Sep 13, 1999, 1:43 pm
jet

Oh yeah, if you do take the el and you feel threatened for whatever reason, go to where the CTA Transit Police officer is. Whether someone is looking at you funny or it's nighttime, or whatever. They are your island of solace on the CTA...
Old Sep 13, 1999, 2:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I never had / have a problem on that train - even if it is the very last one of that day/night: just enter at the very front with the officer.

I never take a cab, I spent $5 for a 24 hours card and can get on and off wherever I am in or outside the loop (the money I spare for the cab is better invested in a ticket on Soldier fields or at the United Arena, at the Shuberts theatre ... or in Restaurants.

If I am early back at ORD I may even give my metro card with may be 3-5 hours left to some reasonably fair looking tourist/student for reuse during the remaining time.
Old Sep 13, 1999, 5:01 pm
Original Member

Most airport hotels (Westin, I know for sure) will drop you at the River Road el stop (one out from the hotel) saving about 5 minutes on the journey.

jl
Old Sep 15, 1999, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your help.
I did not realize that there was a transit cop on every train from ORD.
I think I will suggest that they stay at a downtown hotel and I'll start looking for rerasonable rates.
I've often wondered - have any of you been able to use a UA 50% off hotel rack voucher for a one night stay only?
Old Sep 15, 1999, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your help.
I did not realize that there was a transit cop on every train from ORD.
I think I will suggest that they stay at a downtown hotel and I'll start looking for rerasonable rates.
I've often wondered - have any of you been able to use a UA 50% off hotel rack voucher for a one night stay only?
Old Sep 15, 1999, 5:42 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, I have done this once for an odd night when a voucher was about to expire anyway, but naturally you would forfeit the other night!
Old Sep 15, 1999, 4:08 pm
jet

Yes, I've used the UA 50% off hotel cert for one night only many times. But sometimes the reservation agent on the phone doesn't let you, so you call again and get another one... go figure.
Old Sep 16, 1999, 6:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
My suggestion for a Chicago hotel is the independent Hotel Allegro. It is a beautiful old art deco hotel, with an excellent restoration completed. The room are nice and the lobby has a nice bar.

Also, it is an easy walk to transportation, Marshall Field's, and plenty of good restaurants.

>>LIMITED-TIME SPECIAL! CHICAGO'S SUPERIOR FIRST-CLASS ALLEGRO FOR $99.95!

The Allegro hotel is a sophisticated, high-style hotel which combines
classic art-deco design with contemporary looks and textures. The hotel is
situated inside the loop at Randolph and LaSalle within walking distance to
State Street shopping and the Magnificent Mile. The hotel features a bar,
fitness center, concierge, business services, valet parking, a gift shop,
hair salon, early morning coffee service and evening wine hour in the lobby
and located adjacent is 312 Chicago, a stunning 220-seat Italian-American
restaurant. This rate is subject to limited availability from September 9
through September 12, 1999. Call 1-800-964-6835 or book online at: http://www.hoteldiscounts.com/HotDea.../chi_allg.html

[This message has been edited by TransWorldOne (edited 09-19-1999).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.