Search

Airport finds

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 1999, 7:38 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Airport finds

Since everyone's on a roll with survey threads, here's one more ...

Whenever I fly through Hawaii, I always dash to the airport florist stand and pick up proteas. They last forever, survive the flight home well and are a special treat because they're almost never available on the mainland. They actually make me look forward to going to the airport!

What I'm wondering is ... have you ever found a treasure inside an airport? Something beyond the Burger Kings, Starbucks and souvenir souvenir stands that actually makes you look forward to a brief stop there? Maybe it's a great little independent stand in an airport that sells homemade pies or maybe there's an on-site massage therapist.

I remember there was an airport in the mid-west that had a good used bookstore, unfortunately I can't remember where. And I think there's an airport on one of the Hawaiian islands with tai chih classes.

HNL has a multi-media aviation museum that's worth a visit; SFO always has a fun exhibit and I remember being surprised as can be at what FRA has the first time I arrived there.

What have you found?
Old Aug 15, 1999, 7:44 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Zurich ZRH: there are two Spruengli (chocolate) - shops: one is in the transit shopping area (in between term A & B) - the other one is before check-in, one level above the railway-station. ask for the "truffe du jour" = the pride of handmade swiss chocolate confectionary - only good for consumation in the next 24 hours!
Old Aug 15, 1999, 9:35 am
Commander Catcop

This little store in the Continental airlines terminal C at EWR that sells nothing but aviation related toys and other stuff. the little model airplanes and toys and books.

The name escapes me but it's a fun little store.

Most of the airports have BLEH stores and fast food type restaurants. Someitmes it's good to find a decent bookstore or a Body Shop (like in one trip to Hawaii where I left the suntan lotion on my bed at home!)

At Hartsdale/Atlanta: Chick FilA: one of the few fast foods I will eat. the best chicken sandwich around. And that lemon pie with the Cookie crust is awesome.

Most airports: The Sam Adams Brew Pubs (which have been discussed before.) Although at the Continental Terminal C airport they are putting in an Anheiser Busch Pub. Probably won't have Sam's.

Old Aug 15, 1999, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
At DFW, several of the gift shops sell my indespensible spice for making Fajitas... from D.L. Jardine. Their steak seasoning is good too.

Auckland- The fine wine store in the international area has really unusual gems, and great prices.

London- Duty Free is a blast, but I am particularly addicted to Thomas Pink shirts, which are still distinctive looking in the U.S., and incredibly well made. The Berry Bros. & Rudd wine store also has great mature wines at semi-reasonable prices, but regardless of cost, impossible to find at retail in the U.S. And I always bring an ice pack to transport a crock of Harrod's Stilton to go with a Sauternes I picked up at BB&R.

Sydney- Darrell Lea Licorice... Australian Licorice is unlike anything found in the U.S... soft and really full of flavor. I wish I could get it here.

et al. Looking back, this is mostly food things... I am heading to the gym on general principal.

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited 08-15-1999).]
Old Aug 15, 1999, 11:52 am
In Memoriam

Midwest airport with incredible used book store is MKE, home of Midwest, #1 US airline.
Old Aug 15, 1999, 2:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
The Raleigh-Durham airport also has a used book store, near the Continental ticket counter.
Old Aug 15, 1999, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marr Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents
At CLT (on Fridays) in the main terminal, they have this one man "Piano Man" play selections (Joel, Buffet, Fogelberg, etc) right by the bar. Grab a lemonade and grab a seat in the rocking chairs along the moving sidewalk and relax, listen (if you have the time) and you're in for a treat.

Catman; You can also find those Chick-Fil-A's in most southern cities where they are drive ups or in selected Northern-Midwestern malls. All products are cooked with Georgia peanut oil. All stores are closed on Sunday.

[This message has been edited by ontherun (edited 08-15-1999).]
Old Aug 15, 1999, 7:21 pm

I concur with OldGold. The used bookstore in RDU is terrific. It is also an "honor" bookstore. They just have a cannister attached to the wall.

When I know I am swinging through RDU, I will pack a couple of used books with my luggage to add to the library.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Aug 15, 1999, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Isn't the Texas wine shop in DFW still there? It's been a while and I can't recall where it is, but it's great for unique wine tasting.

The BA Executive Club in T3 LHR. All the UA customers wait in line for the showers in the RCC, but I walk a short way to the BA club where the showers are always open and the service is great.

In Cairo, there is a relatively hidden luggage storage in the basement of the International airport. If you are transiting, you can store your bags there and take a taxi into the city for a few hours.

That's all I can think of now.
Old Aug 15, 1999, 9:42 pm

HNL. In addition to protea, anthuria (if you like them) and torch ginger are also very long lasting flowers available in Hawaii but rarely, if at all, outside Hawaii.

Also at HNL is one of the few "outdoor places" at an airport that is enjoyable, the small Japanese/Chinese garden in the atrium where the middle concourse (Gates 21 to 26 or so)joins the main terminal. Many of the airline clubs surround the atrium.

Can anyone think of another airport where one can be outside, in a pleasant surrounding, but still be within the secured part of the terminal?
Old Aug 16, 1999, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Eidetic, have you ever been to Changi airport in Singapore? They have a hotel with an outdoor bar and swimming pool all behind customs and security. It's very nice and the perfect thing for a 4+ hour layover.
Old Aug 16, 1999, 10:18 am

Stimpy, is the hotel at SIN part of terminal 1 or 2? I was unaware of it... but then again, one of the places I like air conditioning best is Singapore. <g>
Old Aug 16, 1999, 1:40 pm
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
I don't know if this is a "find" per se, but at NRT (New Tokyo International, aka Narita), in the 3x satellite (could be the same at other satellites, but I have never been there) you can find relative solace and an excellent vantage point when you mount the stairs to go up to the RCC. There are seats on the landings of the staircase that overlook the tarmac. If you can't get into the RCC (as I couldn't for so many years) it's also a great place to sit and relax away from the insanity and circus at the gates below.
Old Aug 16, 1999, 1:49 pm
Commander Catcop

I stand corrected...

The little store at EWR that sells airplanes and other stuff is now closed!

It's being replaced by an Au Bon Pain.

Crossants instead of little airplanes? Not FAIR!!!

Old Aug 16, 1999, 2:24 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Catman- There's a great place like this at Narita (2). So many toy planes etc!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.