Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What airlines fly to a particular airport

Old Aug 19, 1999, 8:12 am
Original Poster

I've been trying to find out which airlines fly into Ankara airport, Turkey (ESB) from Europe and have not had much luck other than making educated guesses. Are there any sites that help with this kind of search?
Old Aug 19, 1999, 8:29 am

You may wish to try the "Airline Fare List" or "Fare Compare" search features at Expedia.com. Although the search results may or may not provide all airlines flying into ESB from any one particular European airport, it will at least offer you some of them and provide some airfares.

www.expedia.com

[This message has been edited by MRLIMO (edited 08-19-1999).]
Old Aug 19, 1999, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I tried a Web search, out of curiosity, and didn't turn up anything useful. (I did find out that the airport is called Esenboga and its code is ESB.)

This may be one of those times when it's better to go low-tech and ask a travel agent.

Or, you could log onto your favorite Web reservation service, ask about flights from some obvious cities (Istanbul plus the big European hubs) and see what shows up.
Old Aug 19, 1999, 9:49 am

Hi!

I worked a bit in Germany, and know they have a large population of Turkish nationals (the largest such population outside of Turkey), so I checked flights from Frankfurt (FRA) and found (at least):
  • Turkish Airlines
  • Alitalia
  • Lufthansa
  • Swissair

-Ronald
Old Aug 19, 1999, 10:59 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For the complete updated story, including what aicraft theyy are using etc, (you have to pay), go to: www.oag.com
Old Aug 19, 1999, 10:59 am
Original Member

Surely the way to do it is to go to Expedia, or ITN, or Travelocity and plug in ESB with the city you're interested in. You'll have to give a travel agent the same info anyway.

As an educated guess, there should be flights from all the major capitals, most large cities in Germany, also from Albania and the Balkans. Are you interested in a specific country or region?
Old Aug 19, 1999, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I have been using Expedia and others (Diners Club Flights actually gave me a better selection than Expedia) doing exactly what has been suggested.

The reason for the question is that I currently have a BA award to IST from LAX, but my connection in IST would be very tight to get to Ankara. However, since I can change my BA award to pretty much any European destination I figured I might find a better connection that flies direct to ESB.

So far I have got: Stuttgart, Cologne, Frankfurt, Zurich, Duesseldorf, Vienna.

However, it did occur to me that I might miss some flights that would be perfect, plus there are always obscure domestic airlines that would help.
Old Aug 19, 1999, 12:34 pm
DBK

Travel at Yahoo.com Just type in where you want to go and what days and Yahoo will list all the airlines and prices.
Old Aug 20, 1999, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks DBK - I tried Yahoo, but the problem I have is that I don't have a fixed originating airport (i.e. I am flexible - it can be anywhere in Europe) and Yahoo requires a departure and a destination (which makes sense for most situations!). Maybe I'm missing something - which screen/function were you refering to?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Wikipedia is your friend. Just type in the desired destination airport and invariably someone has entered a list of all the airlines and destinations that they serve.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Didn't realise this was an 11-year old thread - "suggestion" removed.

How do you manage to find an 11-year old thread anyway ??

Last edited by Wally Bird; Jul 16, 2010 at 5:58 am
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by SteinerboyCA
Thanks DBK - I tried Yahoo, but the problem I have is that I don't have a fixed originating airport (i.e. I am flexible - it can be anywhere in Europe) and Yahoo requires a departure and a destination (which makes sense for most situations!). Maybe I'm missing something - which screen/function were you refering to?
Originally Posted by Mr H
Wikipedia is your friend. Just type in the desired destination airport and invariably someone has entered a list of all the airlines and destinations that they serve.
Wikipedia did not exist at the time of the OP and replies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia

and no offense, but do you really think the OP is *still* searching for a list of airlines which fly into ESB 11 years later?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Did you mean to post a link to Wikipedia's Wikipedia page? I suspect this was the address you wanted: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esenbo%...tional_Airport

Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mr H
Did you mean to post a link to Wikipedia's Wikipedia page? I suspect this was the address you wanted: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esenbo%...tional_Airport

I was posting a like which shows when Wikipedia was created (in 2001).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.