Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

WORST thing that happened while on a trip?

WORST thing that happened while on a trip?

Old Aug 19, 99, 6:18 pm

Imagine travelling alone. Imagine flying into ATL. Imagine the INS officer noticing you are entering the US on the visa waiver prgramme. Imagine getting funny looks from the INS officer. Imagine only then finding out the your ticket does not expire for six months. Imagine MarkB needing new underwear. Imagine spending 2 hrs in secondary immigration not being able to contact your friends who were pacing up and down in arrivals.
Old Aug 19, 99, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
I've got 2 stories...

First:
New Year's Eve 3 years ago. My ex-girlfriend and I went to LAX to pick up her father, whom I have not yet met. All passengers from the Malasian flight emerge from the Bradley tunnel, and he didn't show up. The Malasian ticket counter was closed, and nobody around could tell us anything. My ex begins to freak, and I try to calm her while looking for help at the information desk. They suggest calling customs, and I do. Customs confirms he is being detained for questioning, but cannot tell us why, or whether he will be admitted to the country. My ex is crying, we're missing our NYE party, and her father doesn't speak English well. Finally, an hour before midnight he emerged and it came to a happy ending.

Second:
Thanksgiving last year. I'm vising my current girlfriend in the Bay Area. The Reno Air flight is 6:30am, and I show up early anticipating crowds. There were lines everywhere, and I find out I'm bumped as I check in at the gate 30 minutes before departure. I'm put on standby lists for the next 2 flights, and finally get a seat on the noon flight. I take my seat happily, row 32 isle on an MD-82, and a lady shows up with the same seat number. She goes to talk to the FA, and I get called off the full plane. As I grab my bag and walk up the isle, all eyes are on me, as well as a film crew from A&E filming "A day at LAX." They tell me they made a mistake, and put me on the next standby list. While waiting I decided to call United, and the agent agreed to honor my ticket and had me on their next flight. I get to SFO at 3:30pm. I've not been on a Reno Air flight since then.
Old Aug 19, 99, 8:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Mine was a flight to LAX from ATL when there were two ground aborts and then a inflight abort(dead left engine-GE brand). It made for a white knuckle landing from the knowledgeable at high weight and speed in a thunderstorm. A religious group was chanting in coach during the final(hate that word)approach. This turned into a 4:00Am wakeup on EST to a 11:30PM bedtime PST day. However, friend and business cohort had a different kind of bad experience. He, wife and two small girls decided to visit Florida and wife was advised no need for wallet on trip. They were refused boarding and ended up going next day as no ID for her at airport. Being elite on TWA was no help and kids were crying as they felt no trip to beach was possible. A lesson learned the hard way.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: