Wiki Posts
Search

4 hour IAD layover - anything to do?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 1999, 10:24 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

4 hour IAD layover - anything to do?

I will be stuck at IAD for 3 hours 55 minutes next week during the middle of the day. Is there anything close by worth visiting, doing or seeing?

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop

Old Aug 9, 1999, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Not really. It's a long expensive cab ride into the city and the suburbs are pretty dull.

Just plug your PC in at one of the lounges and surf the web.
Old Aug 9, 1999, 11:28 pm

as Stimpy said, there's not much choice. It would take you 30-45 min. just to get out of the airport to anywhere, and then there aren't many options close, except a few shopping centers.
E-mail Matt Wald or MileKing and ask them.
Old Aug 10, 1999, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep. Nothing much to do. Not enough time to take the Washington Flyer to anywhere. Could go to the Marriott at the airport there and hang at the bar, but I quess you could do that right in the terminal.
Old Aug 10, 1999, 7:43 am

Ride the "soon the extinct" dinosaur like "People Movers".....

Mobile lounges offer a unique service that transport passengers between the terminal and the midfield concourses and planes parked on the jet apron 1/2 mile away. Our 19 mobile lounges are 18ft. high, 16'6" wide, 53'5" long and weigh 65,000 pounds. Our 26 Planemates are 18'5" high, 17 ft wide, 49 ft. long and weigh 57,000 pounds.
Here is a link to the Airports Web Site. http://www.metwashairports.com/Dulles/

And all the Shops & Eateries at the Airport: http://www.metwashairports.com/Dulles/vendors.html
Old Aug 10, 1999, 7:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Weeeeellll....You COULD hop a short cab ride to Reston, a planned community not too far from the airport. It's got something called Reston Town Centre, a planned community commons with retail and restaurants around a large square next to a man-made lake (it is just as plastic-looking as it sounds).

About 3 years ago, they were holding the space shuttle prototype Enterprise at Dulles, and you could go look at that, but it may have been moved by now the Air & Space.

Finally, there is a mega-mall called WorldGate a few miles from the airport with shopping, movies, etc...

Or, give me more specifics and I'll make an attempt to come meet you for lunch (or maybe an after-lunch drink at the RCC!)!
Old Aug 10, 1999, 8:59 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Matt,

I tried to email you but it bounces back. Do you have a new email address for your FlyerTalk profile?

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop

Old Aug 10, 1999, 9:56 am
geo1004

Go to the Sam Adam's Outlet (in terminal D, near gate-23) and "sample" beers until you smile, smile, smile!!!

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 08-10-1999).]

Old Aug 10, 1999, 12:10 pm
Commander Catcop

AH! the Sam Adams Brew Pub!

I think for the NEXT D-C F-T together we should simply buy out the place and sample beers until we smile smile smile (to quote my good friend Geo1004)

What I do (and it's probably illegal...)

(IT'S NOT THAT GUYS!!!!)

I did this twice. If I can find one of those private little booths I go in with my gear, use my jacket as a pillow (it's a Brooks Bros and rarely wrinkles) set up my mini alarm clock and go off and earn some sleeping points. If I'm stuck more than 2 hours I take a "CAT NAP"

I don't snore so there' sno way I can be disturbed. A lot of peole at NYU used to do that after all ngiht party sessions: go to the little study rooms at the big Library and go in and ZZZZZZZ

If I"m doing something illegal about the little rooms, then STOP ME BEFORE I GET ARRESTED!

Old Aug 10, 1999, 2:22 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
MA: try [email protected]
The server on the one listed here must be as reliable as Delta airlines
Old Aug 10, 1999, 3:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
MA: I can personally vouch for the veracity of geo1004 and Catman's suggestion of a pitstop at Sam Adams. I've had several occasions to smilesmilesmile therein!!!

Samantha

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 08-10-1999).]
Old Aug 11, 1999, 7:55 am
geo1004

Old Aug 11, 1999, 7:15 pm
DBK

The Bad News:

Dulles is amoung the most boring airport I have ever been in. And everyone is right, there is nothing to do very close by.

The Good News:

If you decide against the Sam Adams route (which deserves some consideration) Four hours is enough time to do something in DC. You just need to know what you want to do, when you get off the plane, and go do it.

The Washington flyer is about $10 each way. If it's the middle of the day, you should be able to zip to town -- it's only a half an hour(plus what ever time you need to find Washington Flyer, get a ticket, etc) It drops you downtown at the Hilton near the monuments and Smithsonian. You could spend over 90 min doing something fun you might not ever get to do otherwise. I did this in Denver last year and it was better than sitting in a lounge. The new FDR memorial is great, and there are always old favorites such as Air and Space, and American History

Have fun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.