Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 1999, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
SFO hotels

Hi all, I am looking for advice on hotels in SFO, as I will be there in Nov for a conference.

Due to exchange rate problems our department's policy is to book through NZ's travel book, which results in each hotel being around USD$100 per night per room (i.e. $50 per person), so the Marriot etc is out of the question.

The following hotels are listed as being close to union quare and Moscone centre.

1. Hotel Bijou (111 Mason Street) - S
2. Chancellor Hotel (433 Powell Street) - SU
3. Handley Unsion Square (351 Geary Street) - SU
4. Villa Florence Hotel (225 Powell Street) - SU
5. Maxwell Hotel (386 Geary Street) - F

NZs ratings;
S = Standard
SU = Superior
F = First class

Does anyone have any advice on those hotels either good or bad? Or alternative locations?

Mark
Old Aug 6, 1999, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
KoruFlyer: I don't know any of those hotels specifically, but I can tell you they're all very close to one another geographically. They're all two blocks or less from Union Square in San Francisco, and about 4-7 blocks from Moscone.

San Francisco has a lot of smaller hotels that are less expensive than the chains. Some are quite good. You might check out www.kimptongroup.com for more ideas if you have a say in the booking. I enjoy getting away from the chains, myself, and IMO a smaller hotel gives you more of a feel that you are in San Francisco than staying at the big Marriott or Hilton. But that's just my opinion, and others prefer the larger hotels.
BTW the hotel Rudi has mentioned favorably in some of his posts about Seattle, the Alexis, is a Kimpton Hotel.

I see Villa Florence is one of the hotels on your list. Off the lobby is a nice Italian restaurant called Kuleto's that's quite popular, and justifiably so. Also, the Villa Florence has a great Italian coffee shop to the right of the entrance. I would stay there just for Kuleto's and the fun coffee shop!
Old Aug 8, 1999, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
dgolds,

Thankyou for your reply. I had a look at the website you mentioned and there seem to be a number of hotels to follow-up on. But the Villa Florence may be the go. I will post a report when I return.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Koru Flyer (edited 08-08-1999).]
Old Aug 8, 1999, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
I have stayed at the Handlery many times. While it is not a First Class hotel, there are executive rooms in a new wing that are very nice. And the location is hard to beat.

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited 08-08-1999).]
Old Aug 9, 1999, 2:51 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think this came up recently but I can't find the thread. Anyway I recommend the Monaco Hotel on Geary St, a Kimpton property and excellent all around, without being prohibitively expensive.
Old Aug 9, 1999, 10:48 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Doc's right and the Monaco also has a great restaurant, the Grand Cafe attached to the hotel.
Old Aug 9, 1999, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments, I am taking all this in - in the end it will probably come to some sort of cost vs comfort vs convenience factor.

Mark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.