Taking a rental car into Canada...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 1999, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Delta PM, AA Plat

Is there any kind of insurance that would be mandatory for taking a rental car across the canadian border? I normally don't get the optional insurances since I have a platinum card that covers the difference...

[This message has been edited by DougC (edited 07-21-1999).]
Old Jul 21, 1999, 12:05 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not that I know off. The Diners Card is even better because they offer primary rather than just secondary coverage on collision.
Old Jul 21, 1999, 12:19 pm

No special insurance requirements that I know of as well....

(taking a car into Mexico is a different story, especially a rental car...)
Old Jul 21, 1999, 12:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
had 3 (weekly) rentals in the last20 months from Hertz SEA-TAC (and did drive to Vancouver-Whistler and back again). Canadian Immigration/Costums did never ask for any car-/insurance-paper.

But my Hertz infos (in Switzerland) state, that I should expressivly ask for a car "fit" for Canada (which I always did and Hertz confirmed).

Old Jul 21, 1999, 1:32 pm
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
I don't know of any special requirements on insurance for taking a rental car into Canada. A lot of people here in Buffalo rent cars at the airport and drive them into Canada to see Niagara Falls and even Toronto. A couple of my coworkers did that a few months back and had no problems, Hertz even helped them out when they got a flat in Canada with their car. Do bring some proof of citizenship, as you might get hassled on your way back into the US, especially if you're not Caucasian. (I'm not implying that they're racist or anything, just that in my personal experience as an Asian, I get asked for my passport about 50% of the time and my white buddies maybe 5%.)
Old Jul 21, 1999, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
A word of caution to those who take rental cars into Canada. Some provincial police will demand (and apparently have the right to) for written proof of insurance - i.e. an insurance card specifically valid for Canada. Now if you rely on credit cards for insurance this is not possible. Therefore, it would be advisable to have a Canada Proof of Insurance card from your own insurance company (you could just keep it as back up and not actually use the coverage). Of course this is all moot if you're never stopped.

However, from personal experience if you get a stubborn officer you may end up paying the fines on the spot - the actual violation + no insurance fine.

this only has happened once out of 25 - 30 trips so i guess it could have just been bad luck.

drive safely and take care.
Old Jul 21, 1999, 4:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Okay, something that I really know about. If you are leaving the USA and going to Canada, you should make sure that the car that you are driving has a Canadian Inter- Provincial Insurance Card. A card from your own personal insurance company, will NOT work. The card that you need specifically lists the VIN, year and make of the car that you are driving. I have been an insurance agent in western NY (Rochester, specifically) for the past 25 years, and I know personally of several people that were stopped and their cars impounded for failure to produce the correct card. I have overnighted the cards to clients to enable them to continue their trips. It is usually not a problem, but when there is "conflict" between the officials in Canada and the US, sometimes the rules are closely enforced.

Ask the rental company for a Canadian Insurance ID card.

Larry
Old Jul 21, 1999, 4:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Okay, something that I really know about. If you are leaving the USA and going to Canada, you should make sure that the car that you are driving has a Canadian Inter- Provincial Insurance Card. A card from your own personal insurance company, will NOT work. The card that you need specifically lists the VIN, year and make of the car that you are driving. I have been an insurance agent in western NY (Rochester, specifically) for the past 25 years, and I know personally of several people that were stopped and their cars impounded for failure to produce the correct card. I have overnighted the cards to clients to enable them to continue their trips. It is usually not a problem, but when there is "conflict" between the officials in Canada and the US, sometimes the rules are closely enforced.

Ask the rental company for a Canadian Insurance ID card.

Larry
Old Jul 22, 1999, 8:17 am
ALW

One other thing I didn't see listed here, remember that CANADIANS (I think that's Canadian residents) cannot take a U.S. rental car into Canada! Sounds unlikely I know, but if you were from Vancouver, visiting Rochester, you couldn't take that Hertz car into Niagara Falls Ontario.

One exception is one-way truck rentals, which are explicitly allowed.

andrew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.