Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Weird or Humorous Hotel stories

Old Jul 15, 1999, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marr Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents

I've had some unique and funny hotel experinces and I would like to hear some of those that others have had.

When I used to work for a German Auto company doing computer conversions, the conversion would occur over the weekend as to not bring the dealership down during the week. Well this one time in Cincinnati I was accompanied by a female co-worker. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and drove to the hotel in the rain, being a gentlman I offered to check us both in saving her from getting all wet. She handed me her credit card (we both had corporate AMex cards) and I checked us both in. We then proceeded to the clients site and converted the site, spending almost 24 hours on site. Well we arrived beat and exhausted on Saturday night
and went to our respective rooms across the hall from each other. Well the next morning I'm awakened by a knock on the door at a very early time in the morning. Well it's my co-worker in her robe telling me that my wife had called and had been connected to her room (we thought in error) and that she thought I should call her at home. Seems that when I checked in I had put both old style keys in my pocket and had given my key to her and I had her room. Well my wife had called Sunday, asked for me and they hooked her up to my room, my co-worker answered from a sound sleep and said that she must have the wrong room. Well my wife calls back and asks the front desk for my room again, whereupon my co-worker answers again figures it out this time who's calling and says that I'm not there at the moment and that she'll give me the message. Now at this time my wife still had not met my co-worker so had all kinds of pre-conceived notions and ideas already about her. Well needless to say that this took a considerable amount of explaining. All three of us have had a good laugh about it now, and my co-worker still jokes that she could have told my wife that I was in the shower and really sunk the marriage.
Old Jul 15, 1999, 2:02 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
uff!
Old Jul 15, 1999, 11:01 am
Commander Catcop

I think this one was a hoot so I'm giving it to you again:

Once upon a time, in my first trip to Hong Kong, the flight was in five hours late, I was fried so I went to the hotel, checked in, went to my room, stripped, flopped on the bed and was off earning double snoring points in
seconds.

Then early in the morning I in half sleep see this little shadow in a white dress running around the room, I sit up and it's this housekeeper who's probably no more
than 18 or 19. I screamed, she screamed, they brought security and she said "Oh you forgot to put the do not disturb sign on the door."

It's not nice to wake the CATMAN out of his beauty sleep. I can be a real tiger!

The other funny cases (which I have not experienced them) include people locking themselves out of their rooms, sometimes dressed with nothing more than a terrified look on their face. Or those people who sleepwalk out of their rooms and around the hotel. Hopefully with something on, but sometimes as they told me at the Algonquin none.

In fact, I was leaving the Algonquin at 4 am (to go to work) when it was part of the Westin family (which I think is a big big loss) when I go to the front desk to check out and they are telling me if I saw a naked man sleeping around the hotel. Seemed he slept walk out of his room and his wife was in a panic.

I said luckily I didn't because I would have slugged him for indecent exposure.

Old Jul 15, 1999, 1:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Similar story about a stay in Israel, when my coworker(male) and I were working late in his room and his wife was napping. A girl from the States called for mr Smith, which was coworkers name, and asked for him around 0300 local. Boy did he have the explaining to do. The caller swore she had the right guy and was very descriptive and upset about a girl answering the phone so some other poor guy also had some explaining to do!
Old Jul 15, 1999, 5:31 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
My husband and I were staying at one of Hilton's Pointe hotels in Arizona when he got up early to go for a run. He didn't take his key, knowing I'd be there to let him back in. Well, after an hour or so he calls me from the lobby and asks why I won't let him in when he knocks. I tell him I didn't hear any knock. After a few minutes he calls again, a little frustrated this time, and wonders why I'm still not letting him in. We go through this a few more times - both of us becoming increasingly annoyed - until finally a woman does answer the door where my very sweaty, very irritated husband's now pounding and it's not me. Turns out the hotel has two identical wings with exact same room numbers.

Old Jul 15, 1999, 6:54 pm
Original Member

Onetherun, Thanks for the topic.

You can think this is funny. Maybe
not. On a trip to Los Angeles 6
months ago. I took advantage of one
of those "free hotel/motel stay
offers" you get in your credit card
bill to extend my trip. Anyway the
hotel is a semi-hi-rise in Hollywood.
One of those low budget chains(but
apparently on the higher end) I don't
want to provide there name as they
deserve no free publicity. Check in -
take elevator to room. Open room
door. Low and behold. There is a room
service tray which I nearlytrip over,
booze bottles and "used" towels all
over the place. The room had not been
cleaned... Needless to say I demanded
another room. I thought I was on
candid camera. WHAT a joke. The
compensation you ask.. two free
coupons....And a waiver for
parking...
You get what you pay for.

Mike
Old Jul 15, 1999, 7:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I was staying at a Hyatt in Chicago on a Thursday night. At about 03:00, I hear a man screaming. I open up the door a crack and look out at a naked man standing in the hallway and obviously in pain. Walking away are a prostitute and her bodyguard, with a can of pepper spray. I guess that explained that overwhelming smell and the tickle in my throat. Looks like things got a little hotter than this guy bargained for...
Old Jul 15, 1999, 8:33 pm
Original Member

My wife and I were vacationing in Grand Cayman, staying at the fantastic Hyatt Regency there with my best friend and his wife. He and I have known each other our entire lives, and have been best friends since about 1969. Well, one morning we got up for breakfast, and my wife wasn't ready yet, and neither was my friend Rich. So, Tracey and I went down to breakfast together.

Well, unbeknown to us, two other friends of my wife and I (who don't know Rich and Tracey)were having breakfast at the Hyatt Grand Cayman. They saw Tracey and I come in for breakfast. Carol immediately said to Mike "Isn't that Doug with another woman!!!" Mike said "No, that couldn't be Doug!!!" And they sat there debating it and staring at us, until my wife and Rich came down about 5 minutes later and joined us. then they came over and confessed that they thought they had caught me with another woman in an exotic caribbean location. LOL
Old Jul 15, 1999, 8:39 pm
Original Member

Here's another one. Early 1980's, and my wife and I were staying at the Limetree resort on St. Thomas, which had had a recent rash of vacationers getting mugged, etc. (That is, the island had, not this specific resort.) At about 3 in the morning, we are awakened out of a deep sleep by a woman's voice yelling "H-E-L-P!!" I sit bolt upright, and then run over to the window and look out on the grounds. Suddenly, we hear it again, just as loud, "HELP" and realize it is coming from the room next door!!

Well, I grab the phone, and wake up a groggy person at the front desk, and am in the middle of identifying myself, and my room, and what is going on--someone is being attacked next door!!--when, next door changes to "HELP" "Help me BABY" "HELP ME BABY" I hang up the phone, and my wife and I convulse in laughter.

Then, for the next 3 days, we were on the lookout for the couple next door. We finally saw them as they were checking out. Both wearing complete black leather outfits, pants, shirts, etc., middle-aged and she with a very short butch haircut. Didn't want to know any more about what was going on.

Still can get my wife laughing by just saying "Help me BABY"

Djlawman

[This message has been edited by Djlawman (edited 07-16-1999).]
Old Jul 15, 1999, 9:16 pm
Commander Catcop

All these posts are very funny.

But DJLAWMAN... CMDR CATCOP asks if those posts are "G" rated?

Here's another crazy story:

My friends Steve and Joyce and I went to stay at the Palace Station in Las Vegas. I had a nice room: in the tower with king bed, basic ok room.

Their room was in the motel section. So they go to check in and it looks like a giant ashtray... there's a messy bed and bathroom, cigarette butts and empty beercans everywhere. I think there was also some newspaper for strip clubs with naked women on there.

They were furious and rightfully so, no one cleaned the room (or housekeeping took one look and said "NO WAY.")

I found A United Airlines ticket stub for Texas or Denver with the name of the dude on there (I wished I saved the ticket.. .it was a funny name!)

I said "THis must have been some wing ding party in here... and we missed it!"

If I can't say Wing Ding then please delete.
Old Jul 15, 1999, 9:27 pm
Original Member

Catman - if you can understand djlawman's stories you're old enough to read them...

(a little like Jaws' old server joke...)
Old Jul 15, 1999, 9:41 pm

For our anniversary, my wife and I decided to take advantage of Sheraton's "endless weekend" getaway at the Sheraton nearby (about 30 minutes).

As it turns out, I know the Rooms manager, so I called and asked if there was anything he could do. It was a Saturday night (in June), which is pretty popular for weddings and such, so he said he may not get us a suite, but he'd get us something.

We get the key, go to our room, and it is a business traveller's suite. My wife looked around and said, "Oh honey, a FAX MACHINE. You romantic!"

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Jul 16, 1999, 2:15 pm

Sort of funny:
1-?Cross Country Inn - Columbus, Ohio- Reserve 2 nights, take my stuff with me after 1st nite, come back 2d nite and FIND 2 NEW PEOPLE IN ROOM.
2-?Courtyard Marriott - Cupertino, CA - Reserve 2 nights, take my stuff with me after 1st night, come back for 2d nite & FIND I'M ELECTRONICALLY LOCKED OUT OF ROOM, POUND ON DOOR & FIND 2 NEW PEOPLE IN ROOM.

Moral for 1 & 2 above: Leave something in the room so houskeeper doesn't report you as checked out.

3-Hyatt Deerfield Il - Join Goldpassport, show up late on Sat pm soaked from monsoons, ask for my suite upgrade, asked what type of upgrade I expected and requested PRESIDENTIAL SUITE; clerk calls over uniformed guy with "Security Director" badge, who says follow me & I figure I'm out of here; End up in PRES SUITE, $600+/nite for ?$69. Bill/Hillary & Al/Tipper eat your hearts out.

NOT FUNNY

Unnamed (on advice of counsel) prime property owned by unnamed (on advice of counsel) major operator -Sit down on chair to put rubber soled shoes on after showering, step on extra carpet in front of chair, sparks start flying, wires start flying barely missing me & companion. Seems that ?(un)handy person spliced some broken cord wires, but didn't do a good job or tape same & covered it up with carpet. In 2 minutes the manager, engineer, security director & maintenance mgr are in room at my request. Knowitall was not nice and refused to let them remove the lamp & cord; I call counsel who says to take pictures and give back the lamp. I refuse to give back the lamp. They post a guard at my door. I get hungry & order room service, but guard wouldn't let the food be delivered. About 3 hours later I notice guard is gone so we go to dining room. Upon returning notice that room had been entered against my wishes and evidence is gone. I make bigger stink next day at checkout. Haven't stayed there since, but beleive I wouldn't be posting here today were it not for the rubber soled shoes that day.
Old Jul 17, 1999, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marr Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents
Great stories! Here's a couple more. Checked into the Holiday Inn in E. Lansing,, Michigan was handed my key at the front desk. Went up to the room, got settled and went into the bathroom where I proceeded to wash my face, well as the sink was running I suddenly felt my socks getting all wet. The J pipe drain was missing and the water was pouring all on the floor. Called down to the desk and they were very apologetic and said they would bring up a key for a suite. So I got my stuff, grabbed my key went to the new room, put my stuff down by the door, opened it up and walked in on two entertwined feet......mumbled something as I raced out the door and down to the front desk, needless to say the the accomodations they provided for me at the Helmsley were very nice indeed.

A couple of years ago was staying at another HI in Dallas area during the very hot summer when I heard this banging coming from outside another room, this went on for a couple of more minutes and then I heard the door in the room next to me shut so I thought nothing of it. Next morning as I was getting ready I heard some more banging, both inside and outside the room next door. This went on for a good 20 minutes or so and then the phone rang. It was the front desk asking me if it was okay to unlock my connecting door to the room next door as the woman inside was locked in and couldn't unlock herself from inside and maintenace couldn't unlock her from outside. (seems the door frame had warped in the heat and when she banged her way in had sealed herself in the room) I said ok, opened the door and was greeted by a woman who looked very relieved at being left out.

Just this past February, was staying at a unnamed hotel in a midwestern city when I returned to my room on a Wednesday. As I opened the door to my room I found a pair of woman's underwear lying on the floor. To make a long story short, they were very apologetic, moved me to another room (had someone else used the room? Where did they come from? I'm not sure but didn't want to find out) and once again the stay was free. Also recieved an offer to stay at the hotel one weekend a year at no charge to me by the General Manager (his way of precluding a messy suit?, I'm not sure....)

Let's keep those stories coming.

[This message has been edited by ontherun (edited 07-17-1999).]
Old Jul 18, 1999, 5:29 am
Commander Catcop

Thanks for the explaination Baobab... I guess I am old enough (where's JAWS' Take on all of this...)

Another story is referred to me that happened to a female friend of mine...

It's the middle of the night, she is in NYC on business (Hotel name withheld by request) and she hears banging at the door. She looks through the peep hole and sees a man only dressed in boxer shorts, evidently drunk and saying "open the door, honey!" My friend kept saying he had the wrong room. Obviously she will NOT open the door.

SO she calls security and he keeps banging, saying "STop joking around, open the door!"

He keeps banging and she says "IF you come in I will wack you with this iron." He still was convinced it was his room. He said "What did I do? Open the door!" The language got steadily worse.

Security comes up and finds out the man wandered around the hotel looking for ice, somehow got on another floor and forget his room number. He eventually remembered his full name (He kept saying his first name for five minutes and refused to leave the stop saying "that's my **** name' and they kept saying "last name?")

It turned out the man had the right room but was one floor above where he was supposed to be.

My friend did not sleep the whole night and kept the iron with her at all times.

I told her if she wacked the man with the iron he would never forget his room number again.

Also: should you dress properly if you are going out for ice?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.