Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 1999, 8:52 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Got to make that call? The airlines might let you

Bangkok News, july-15

Got to make that call? The airlines might let you
Airlines are starting to relax rules on cellular phone use, in light of studies that suggest there is far less danger to onboard communication equipment than had been feared.

Delta Air Lines in the United States, for example, now allows passengers to use mobile phones inside airplanes while they are at the boarding gate. Once the plane doors close, though, phones must be shut off.

The airline studied the issue for eight months before making a decision. "We concluded it was safe," airline spokesman John Kennedy told the New York Times.

The ruling is expected to make boarding faster in many cases, since there has been a growing tendency among travellers to hang back at the boarding gate to make last-minute calls before getting onto airplanes.

There is no indication of when-or if-mobile phone use might be allowed on airlines in flight. Airline executives don't like to admit it, but their in-seat telephones with their sky-high rates are good money-spinners.

And the official position of the US Federal Aviation Administration? Spokeswoman Kathryn Creedy explain:"Mobile phones and other personal electronic devices, everything from laptops to Furbys, cannot be used in the critical phases of flight, which are defined as 10,000 feet and below, and during takeoffs and landings."But airlines are free to enforce their own policies on the ground, she added.
Old Jul 16, 1999, 8:59 am
BIM

My understanding is that cell phones would not function well at the altitudes that aircraft fly at, simply because the transmissions are not optimized to that direction/altitude. However, this is far from my field of expertise. Any cellular engineering types care to comment?
Old Jul 16, 1999, 9:37 am
Original Member

Despite what the popular movie Air Force One showed, cell phones do not work at all at 35,000 feet.
Old Jul 16, 1999, 10:02 am
BIM

Actually, the phone the Prez was on in the movie was a satellite version...

[This message has been edited by BIM (edited 07-16-1999).]
Old Jul 16, 1999, 11:43 am
Original Member

I mentioned this earlier in another thread, but for several years, Canadian Airlines Int'l (CP) has had a policy of allowing cel-phone use whenever the engines are not running. Even when the engines start, they just quietly ask you to end the call as soon as you can. Given that the plane can't manouver for a few minutes after the engines start, this seems like a sensible policy.

This policy was particularly valuable last December, when my flight was delayed due to de-icing. When the engines were shut down, we were free to make calls.

(I became very popular on that flight. I had two cel-phones with me, and both were in a free-time period. The FAs made their calls, then passed the phones back to other passengers who wanted to make calls. I depended on the honour system that no one would make long distance calls, and no one did. )
Old Jul 16, 1999, 12:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: OnePass
I placed a good explanation regarding cell-phone usage inflight and why it's currently banned in another thread.

------------------
AlphaSigOU
Causa latet vis est notissima - the cause is hidden, the results are well-known.

Old Jul 16, 1999, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
AlphaSigOU,

Unless you have some reason to keep it a secret :-) could you please tell us which thread? Or is this a contest, where the first person to find it and post the answer wins a set of FlyerTalk luggage tags?
Old Jul 17, 1999, 8:08 am
Original Member

Programs: OnePass
I would if I could, but I forgot the name of the thread (which is similar in name regarding cell phone usage on aircraft)!

The search feature on FlyerTalk isn't very intuitive, though.

------------------
AlphaSigOU
Causa latet vis est notissima - the cause is hidden, the results are well-known.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.