Reload this Page >

My Pet Peeve--Selfish Use of Overhead Bins

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Pet Peeve--Selfish Use of Overhead Bins

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 1999, 12:37 pm

I've run into a similar situation when I rotated some stuff in the overhead bins 90 degrees.

Once it was pleasant. The person next to me apologized. We had a pleasant flight.

Once it was unpleasant. "Is that your luggage?" he asked curtly. "It can't be - I know how to load it correctly." Unpleasant flight - lots of muttering under his breath for 2-3 hours.

Mostly it is ignored.
Old Jun 21, 1999, 2:23 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sadly this nonsense happens all the time. Mr 2B was an arrogant pinhead, period! Once a guy and his wife told me I'd have to take down my garment bag because I'd taken HIS SPACE! I just smiled and told him he should check with the flight attendant! Incidentally, you strike me as being rather patient (as well as admittedly intense). It's actually good to see that you are human and capable of quickly putting 2B in his place. Better luck next time, I'm sure!
Old Jun 21, 1999, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Is there no limit to what some people think carry on luggage is? I have seen passengers with enormous bags, bulky packages, strollers, and all manner of oversized stuff board. Not only is there no room in the overhead bins or under the seat for these items (and it usually causes delays and arguments), but additionally they can be of danger to those seated, as they are dragged on and over heads of passengers. Are some people really that dense or insensitive to others to think that they are so special that they have the right to carry on these large bulky items? And then fight with the FA when told they must check them. I travel very light so perhaps I am being unreasonable--but enough is enough.
Old Jun 21, 1999, 3:56 pm
Original Member

Yes, mauld, some people really are that dense and self-centered.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they constitute a majority of passengers, but there are a significant number of them out there.

And their numbers are growing.
Old Jun 21, 1999, 5:57 pm

The one I hate is the person in row 90 odd, who boards first, then puts their luggage over the first few rows. Not only is this inconsiderate to the person who then boards later to find all the space gone, but it defeats the whole purpose of boarding from the last rows first as everyone has to wait while the person puts all their junk in the bin.

A few months ago, and my mind is sketchy I was reading in a magazine (?qantas club) that airlines (QF, AN, & NZ) are cutting down on carryons over 5kg due to the number of injuries due to heavy carryons shifting or the bins "magically" popping open overhead. Anyone heard anything similar, or was their a thread I missed?

pgupta011 - airlines have different rules for flights to/from the USA (2 bags), whereas elsewhere it is fairly standard on one bag, not over 20kg (plus added elite status etc) and upto the discrecion of the agent. But, my understanding is that you should not have been charged as the USA rules still apply if it is on the same ticket?

Mark
Old Jun 21, 1999, 7:12 pm

That, in my idea, is second on the list of the most annoying things about travel (behind dealing with ANY airline). Some people bring on suitcases that are bigger than something I checked, first or coach. It also pisses me off when they put it in the first open bin they see or when they %)*^#%)*&^%)#^ thing falls on you (happened to me twice!). Some people must think they are God because they bring so much crap on board, and the FAs don't say a thing, except when I do it.
Old Jun 21, 1999, 8:26 pm
pgupta011

One good thing about F class is that you are among the first to board - though my experience with United is that they are boarding 1K, PE and premiers with F class. I don't think I have been preempted by coach passengers for space in the overhead bins when I have been in F (at least for my first flight).

Old Jun 21, 1999, 9:57 pm
Original Member

Ok -- I admit, there are occasions when I probably have too many carry-on items (either quantity or bulkiness). Here is my philosophy:

1. If I am flying 1st, I request the bulkhead seat. I usually try and get on the plane first to store my items (one rolling bag (not garment) and my computer bag) and to get out of the way. It is better if I have my rolling garment bag as it will fit in the front closet.

2. If I am in coach -- I judge the size of the crowd. If it is a full flight, I check a bag. If not, garment bag in the closet or rolling and computer bag up top. No -- I do not put one bag under the seat in front of me -- I guess my feeling is that if I fly 70,000+ miles with the airline and I cant upgrade, I can at least be a little comfortable.

3. I apologize to anyone I may bump with my bag -- esp. those in the aisle. I know what it is like. However, I rarely get an "I am sorry" from those who bump me.

4. On American, I have found that 1st class overhead space is ok and everyone can get thier bags up (not necessarily in coach, but in first, yes).

I know some of you may disagree with my philospohy on #2, but sorry.

--Jim
Old Jun 21, 1999, 11:58 pm
Original Member

JIMBOLIGUY: on #2, I agree... I usually travel with just one bag (clothes & laptop combo bag). With coach seats getting smaller & smaller, unless it is a real full flight I will put in the overhead bins.

If it is a full flight and the last guy / gal boarding can't fit their full-size luggage in an overhead, I have pulled my luggage out and placed it under the seat (although now I have to place my feet on top of my luggage in order for me to be comfortable).

Along with the before mentioned posts, two of my pet peeves are:

1) when the last to board stand-by pax bring full-size luggage on board thinking they’ll find space (just gate check it like the FA requested, PLEASE! Don't waste more time trying to go through all 60 bins looking for space!).

2) when the FA's close all the bins before half the pax board, then each boarding pax re-opens them looking for space. Of course, that pax then closes the bin when they’re done so the next pax can re-open them looking for space... and so on... and so on. I've grown accustomed to keeping a mental "availability picture" of bin space and point out closed bins with open space to late boarding pax.

Hey, if it gets us off the ground faster, I'm all for it.
Old Jun 22, 1999, 12:26 am

how about the late boarding pax that puts carry on bags several or many rows behind their seat? then after landing expects others to wait or just pushes their way through against the flow of traffic.
Old Jun 22, 1999, 10:21 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
I am finding all of these comments right on the mark - unfortunately, as I reflect on this, my blood pressure is rising.
How about those people that rearrange the overheads to fit their items in and toss everyone else's bags around like they were last weeks garbage - no, not you PUNKI - I mean the one's who think that their bags are the only ones that matter.
the worse I ever saw was getting onto a Pan AM flight to Moscow when passengers were bringing on 25" color TV's, large microwave ovens, etc - you couldn't walk down the aisles without climbing over boxes. Take off was delayed by an hour trying to get the aisles cleared.
Old Jul 3, 1999, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam

I agree carryons are a big problem, which is why I'm glad United has installed templates on the x-ray machines at security for their gates. It doesn't solve the problem entirely, but it's a start.

My favorite was in '85, when Continental Freightways started an overnight shipping service, and they booked the cargo space of (I think it was) Eastern Airlines night flights in and out of Houston (which CF used as a freight hub). Eastern was able to sell the passenger seats at a deep discount, with the restriction of no checked baggage at all! We flew at Christmastime, and they had a test compartment next to the ticket counter: you had to show that your carry-on would fit. Of course, most didn't, so they gave out garbage bags (I'm not kidding!) for people to re-pack into. Given all the Christmas gifts, you can imagine the mess!! (We were smart: instead of carrying our gifts to each other, and then bringing them back, we left the gifts at home and wrapped photos instead).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.