Airport Security - new approach experienced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport Security - new approach experienced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 1999, 11:46 pm
Original Member

Yes, I, too, was one of those who complained that my shoulder carry-on was too heavy. That is why I bought a roll-around bag.

If you're interested, I used the weight to rehab an arm for the hour or so while driving around from appointment to appointment. I got the occassional "look" driving down the interstate, but now my arm is much better so I don't carry around the "dead weight" anymore...
Old Jun 16, 1999, 6:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Have had the dusting twice this year at DFW AA and DCA. Interesting technology. I am aware of some of the behind the scenes methods employed to keep explosives off airliners and this is one of the overt acts. Good for them. Never felt safer than flying El Al into Israel and getting the bag search plus body search. Bad news is they kept kicking me out of the femalee only line.
Old Jun 17, 1999, 12:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Watch out in Milwaukee! I think Gen. Mitchell Field has the tightest security of US airports. Every time I go through MKE, my laptop is booted up, wiped, and attache searched.
Old Jun 17, 1999, 8:41 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Working for the private security industry sometimes has perks. To wit:

According to a couple of private security regulators I spoke with in New Orleans a couple weeks ago, there is both a profiling AND a random element to the residue check.

Random: At LEAST every 10th person will be checked.

Profile: If you are carrying a laptop, cell phone or other equipment with micro-circuit boards in your carry-on, your chances will increase. If you are carrying more than one of these types of devices, you are almost guaranteed to be wiped. There were other profiling aspects that they refused to go into (they hinted it had to do with apprearance, by which I don't know if they meant clothing or skin color...).

My anecdotal experience confirms this. When I have laptop and cellphone, I have been checked 100% of time. When I have neither, I have been checked about 10-20% of the time...
Old Jun 17, 1999, 1:44 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ditto, Matt Wald. Interestingly I've carried a Swiss Army knife in my pocket when traveling for many years and it never causes any problem. Often the security folks say to put it in my carry on bag but never seem to mind when I "absentmindedly" ut it right back in my pocket!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.