Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome info

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2002, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Rome info

Hi folks I am planning a trip to Rome in July and read up on the older mails relating to it. Can you give me any nice hotels there reasonably priced ? also how long is a good time to be there and what to do etc. I was thinking three days ?
I also need a flight ,is it worth combining the two for a deal or doing them separately.
be grateful of any tips

thanks
john
Old Jun 10, 2002, 11:57 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
we usually stay in an apartment while we are in Rome. However, this time, we stayed in a hotel one night prior to occupying our apartment. The hotel was in trastevere-
hotel santa maria in trastevere and it was great.

its an old cloister with a nice courtyard, breakfast, quiet and new rooms. I think we paid about 180 euros a night (not cheap- but I think they also give a 7% cash discount).

Its about a 10 minute walk to campo de fiori and I really liked it.

Other good bets are the hotel smeraldo, hotel piccolo (via dei chiavari), hotel navona, hotel raphael, hotel ponte sisto and hotel campo de fiori.

If you want expensive- try the W hotels and other upscale chains.

Its going to be hotter than heck then, so you may wish to pick your hotel based on where you wish to sightsee. That is, walk, eat lunch, siesta for a few hours and then go back out for a few hours.

lala
Old Jun 10, 2002, 12:44 pm
geo1004

Rome's hot... make sure you get a/c!

how much time: allow 4 full days

hotels of all budgets: www.octopustravel.com

Old Jul 5, 2002, 10:13 am

I can second the recommendation for Hotel Campo de Fiori, but be prepared. After five trips to Italy, I'm forced to conclude that hotels, while always clean and with friendly staff, are not the high point of the trip. Expect small rooms that you won't stay in for long!

As for how long? By my fourth trip to Rome I'd concluded it's inexhaustible. You can't ever see or do it "all", so don't even try. Make sure to spend time in the "triton": the area from the Piazza del Popolo up to the Corso Vitorio Emmanuele that includes the Piazza Navona, the Piazza de Spagna, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, and the major shopping areas. Of course there will be plenty of tourists, but there are also great restaurants, friendly people, and more history than you can believe could be packed into an area this size.
Old Jul 5, 2002, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I can't believe it ! 4 days in Rome ? Would you advise someone to spend 4 days in NYC ? I was there for 1 week in Jan02 and felt like I'd barely scratched the surface. There's this unfortunate belief that everything worth seeing can be done in 3 days. Trust me, if you want to get a real sense of the city, take more time. Also, consider talking a walking tour, like one offered by www.odyssey-yours.com
Old Jul 5, 2002, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
sorry, the website is www.odyssey-tours.com
Old Jul 8, 2002, 5:26 am
geo1004

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tcook052:
I can't believe it ! 4 days in Rome ? Would you advise someone to spend 4 days in NYC ? I was there for 1 week in Jan02 and felt like I'd barely scratched the surface. </font>

tcook, I totally agree. My recommendation above was based on the original post which suggested three days! I've been to Rome many times and always discover new and wonderful places. If bangor lad's time is limited, I think 4 full days is about the minimum amount of time you could spend in Rome to see the highlights and get a feel for the place.

Please don't ask me what my list of highlights would look like... it would be way too long!

Old Jul 10, 2002, 11:57 pm

Had a car stolen in trastavere district. One of the highest crime areas in Roma. Watch out.

argos62 puts up a pretty good list of things to see.

This sounds a little weird, but plan a lot of time for dinners. Probably my most favorite memories of Italy in general were the meals, such long, lovely experiences.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 8:19 am

The city has kept the two special tour bus lines established for the Jubilee year. One is an overview of the city and the other is for the basillicas. These would be helpful to anyone who has only a few days in Rome.

I agree about making time to eat. This can be one of the great joys of visiting Rome.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 10:20 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
I stayed at the Hotel Igea. It's reasonably priced, near the subway and main train station, and in a safe area. Breakfast is also included.

I was in Rome for 5 days, but I didn't have enough time to see everything.

- Pat
Old Jul 11, 2002, 7:32 pm
alm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Rome is one of those places where there is so much to explore that you can never see it all. If you have 3 days go for it. It will definately make you want to go again. I think my first visit was for 3 days and I got a good feel for the city layout and getting around. I really didn't get to see too much, but, when I made my 2nd visit I was quite comfortable in getting around and saw alot....and I was only there 3 days again. I would like to spend a full week in Rome sometime.......but have cousins near Venice and feel guilty if I travel to Italy and don't spend some time with them.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 12:53 pm

You'll never regret spending a week. We like to get a nice apartment and really enjoy the neighborhood. Of course having relatives in Venice isn't bad either.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 5:39 pm

We were in Rome for 3 days...and it wasn't enough time. We know we missed so much we would have loved to see, but you do what you can! One of those three days, we were out sightseeing for I believe 14 hours--stopping enough just to grab a panini for lunch.
--Everywhere we went in Italy, they would laugh at us Americans as we were the first in line for dinner at every restaurant. Don't expect to have dinner before I believe 8 (but I may be mistaken about the exact time).
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! Ciao!
Old Jul 19, 2002, 10:51 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I spend a week or 10 days a year there and its definitely not enough time. I like just hanging out and watching the world go by.

For fun sightseeing-

You may want to check out the archeobus- it goes out to some of the way out sights. Its great to do if you enjoy puttering around with you blue guide.

If you are interested in a more "hip and intellectual and small" walking tour I suggest booking months ahead. Scalereale and mirablis urbis tours fill up fast. We were happy with our one two hour tour of the ghetto with my parents, the woman charmed them and I learned lots.

If you want to stay in Rome for longer than a few days, I would suggest an apartment/apartment hotel stay. That way you can prepare a few meals with all your finds at the Markets.

September/October are lovely times to visit Rome. The weather is still mild and the number of tourists has diminished. Did I mention fig and proscuitto pizza?

lala

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.