Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entering the US as a Canadian, leaving as a Brit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Entering the US as a Canadian, leaving as a Brit

I a flight out of the US to Delhi. I wanted to cross into the US (via Windsor) with my Canadian citizenship, but when flying to Delhi I wanted to fly on my UK passport, as I already have a valid Indian Visa in it.

I can't check for my flight in as a Canadian as they would see I don't have a Indian Visa, but I can't check in as a Brit as they would see I never entered the US. (I imagine upon boarding they would notice I do not have a I94 either)

What are my options?
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:48 am

How about checking in as.... both?

Dual citizenship isn't exactly uncommon. It's something airline staff deal with all the time. You don't need to hide your dual citizenship from airline staff. Give them the UK passport when you check in. If they query the absence of an I94 tell them you entered the country on your Canadian passport (and produce it if they ask). They're airline staff, all they're interested in is that your paperwork is valid for where you are going.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:54 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Canadians don't get a I94 when entering the US by car/train/air/etc. There won't be any questioning.

JP
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
How about checking in as.... both?

Dual citizenship isn't exactly uncommon. It's something airline staff deal with all the time. You don't need to hide your dual citizenship from airline staff. Give them the UK passport when you check in. If they query the absence of an I94 tell them you entered the country on your Canadian passport (and produce it if they ask). They're airline staff, all they're interested in is that your paperwork is valid for where you are going.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by HereAndThereSC
Canadians don't get a I94 when entering the US by car/train/air/etc. There won't be any questioning.

JP
As I understand it, the point the OP was making is that he will be asked to surrender his I94 if he checks in for his flight to India using his UK passport... and he was concerned about having some explaining to do as he won't have an I94 to surrender, having entered the USA on a Canadian passport.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Use your U.K. passport to checkin. If asked for your I-94W/I-94, show your Canadian passport.

At the gate (or final doc check before you get to the gate), show your Canadian passport. If asked for your Indian visa, show your U.K. passport.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

I would have liked to have left my Canadian passport with my father who would be driving me to the airport, as after India I am going to Lebanon and Syria, and I do not want to be travelling around with two valid passports through those border controls.

Better if I bring it anyways as re-entering the US as a Canadian is always easier.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, PriorityClub Platinum
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Dual citizenship isn't exactly uncommon. It's something airline staff deal with all the time. You don't need to hide your dual citizenship from airline staff.
Probably true, but I wouldn't apply this to customs and border police. I'm a dual citizen myself, and usually don't go out of my way to advertise this unless explicitly asked. I have heard horror stories (some on Flyertalk, some in real life) about people being harrassed by border guards (primarily in the US) who don't think that dual citizenship is legal for US citizens.

Airline staff generally don't really care, though. I would agree with that.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
US immigration have a real problems if they find out you have more than one passport. Airline staff only care if you have the relevant paperwork.

If you use your UK passport to leave the US, the trouble is that a diligent airport staff will question where your I-94 is. This is because the airline has to retrieve the I-94 stubb and return it to US immigration. Most of the time they do forget to do this unless it is obvious.

I would suggest you show your UK passport at check-in. Chances are they will not aske for the I-94 stub. You may need to show your Canadian passport if they ask for the stub. More likely for a UK airline to remember to ask for the stub; less so a US airline.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:14 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Deleted...

Last edited by sinanju; Oct 23, 2007 at 9:17 pm Reason: The OP clearly mentioned visa issues, which I missed
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:04 pm

Anyone know of anyone having a problem, or is this urban legend?

Originally Posted by KenJohn
US immigration have a real problems if they find out you have more than one passport. Airline staff only care if you have the relevant paperwork
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:53 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, PriorityClub Platinum
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Anyone know of anyone having a problem, or is this urban legend?
To the extent that anything on FlyerTalk surpasses the level of credibility to make it out of the realm of the urban legend , I've seen several threads on here where people have posted about harassment by US border police.

I have a co-worker with Lebanese/US citizenship who was detained for several hours at JFK after he checked in for his flight back to the US with the other passport on Air France. No permanent harm, but still disturbing...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sculler1x
P I have heard horror stories (some on Flyertalk, some in real life) about people being harrassed by border guards (primarily in the US) who don't think that dual citizenship is legal for US citizens.
Did you present just your U.S. passport to U.S. authorities? That's all that's of their concern. The U.S. just doesn't recognizes your other citizenships, just your U.S. one.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SirJman
I would have liked to have left my Canadian passport with my father who would be driving me to the airport, as after India I am going to Lebanon and Syria, and I do not want to be travelling around with two valid passports through those border controls.
I think you'll be o.k. in those countries, as long as you don't have an Israeli stamp in your passports. Is one of your citizenships based on descent? If so, you could bring your birth certificate (long form) that shows your parent(s) was born in the the other country.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:01 am

Perhaps they are stricter for those whose non-US nationality happens to use Arabic script. I have a friend born in the US, with German citizenship by descent. He has on occasion entered the US with his German passport as his proof of US Citizenship (he went to the airport twice and forgot his US Passport), based on the German passport listing the place of birth as US.

Also, every KLM or Lufthansa flight that I have been on to Europe has a fair number of US based Iranians connecting to Tehran; I know that many of them are dual nationals. They used to have problems at the Iran end if they were US citizens, causing many Iranians to (illegally) retain their green cards when they became US citizens to prove to the Iranian authorities that they had not become naturalized in the US. Iran no longer gives dual nationals grief just for being being dual nationals.

Originally Posted by sculler1x
To the extent that anything on FlyerTalk surpasses the level of credibility to make it out of the realm of the urban legend , I've seen several threads on here where people have posted about harassment by US border police.

I have a co-worker with Lebanese/US citizenship who was detained for several hours at JFK after he checked in for his flight back to the US with the other passport on Air France. No permanent harm, but still disturbing...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:41 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I misunderstood the OP's intentions.

I'd enter the US on the Canadian passport. And check in at the airline w/ your UK passport. If they ask why you don't have an I-94, show them the Canadian passport. Should be clear at that point WHY you don't have a I-94.

JP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.