Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are you canceling your travel for the solar eclipse?

Are you canceling your travel for the solar eclipse?

Old Apr 5, 2024, 2:34 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I booked my flight with cash. No point to change, considering that I will be flying with my wife. Arrival at DFW on Sunday and then drive to Waco. Stay 3 more days at Austin where I never been.

I did see eclipse in Madras, OR in 2017 and it was outstanding.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 3:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Seats are opening and prices are coming down. Hotels are available even using points. I changed destination to the Midwest but I still might cancel.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by nsx
Seats are opening and prices are coming down. Hotels are available even using points. I changed destination to the Midwest but I still might cancel.
Not to the location further northeast or the one further southeast I was looking at booking as a potential alternative! Everything there seems completely sold out and/or very expensive…
Old Apr 5, 2024, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, I have/had hotels in San Antonio and Arkansas. I haven't cancelled yet, but will tomorrow. Booked a hotel north of Albany. Will decide between my backyard and Plattsburgh tomorrow. And cancel Texas and Arkansas.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Not canceling anything, since we built a whole fun road trip around the eclipse and that’s only one day of it. We’ll be leaving tomorrow morning for our first destination (my cousin’s house in Spicewood, TX) and then staying just one night in Fredericksburg for the eclipse. But even that will be combined with a visit to a friend’s restaurant/club in town. Then we’ll continue on to Big Bend NP for several days of hiking, and San Antonio/BBQ country for several days of food. If we see the eclipse, great, if not, we’re still going to have a really good time.
nsx, SanDiego1K and travelingdrsuz like this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I live in the path of totality and my plans aren't changing. My office has encouraged max telework because the Dayton area is planning for huge crowds, especially the National Museum of the US Air Force. Dayton also happens to be where I-70 and I-75 intersect and both highways are expected to see significant traffic as people travel in for the eclipse. So I'll be teleworking from the house and just head outside to sit on my front porch for the eclipse and if it's overcast here, I guess I'll just observe it get dark and then bright again but I won't be traveling to somewhere where it isn't overcast.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Apr 7, 2024 at 3:26 pm
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Beautiful day so far here in Arkansas with traffic still light. Hoping the weather holds out.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:18 am

Only partly cloudy here in Fredericksburg! Fingers crossed! Three hours 15 minutes until totality. Time to get the eclipse shades out 😎
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The view from extreme southern Indiana was outstanding. The fields and roads were empty for about a mile in all directions. It could only have been more perfect if we had been able to press rewind to see it again.

I’m glad I canceled my Texas plans and rolled some rather expensive dice on the Midwest, where at least hotels and rental cars were available at normal prices.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:34 pm

Texas still worked. I was in Fredericksburg, my cousin was in Spicewood, my parents were in Dallas, and we all got a view of totality. My view was probably the worst—there were clouds over the sun for a part of our period of totality, though not all of it—but we felt very lucky anyway. Traffic for us (arrived in Fredericksburg yesterday, drove to Ft. Stockton after the eclipse today) was nonexistent. Sorry for all those who canceled their plans, because we had a great day!
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by wrp96
Beautiful day so far here in Arkansas with traffic still light. Hoping the weather holds out.
we drove from Branson to Yellville City Park — where it was actually pretty quiet!

DL400 (DEN-ATL) (~25 min before totality)

celestial banana (~5 min before totality)

I thought I heard one of the guys in the first picture say “Isn’t this when we’re all supposed to dance naked?” a minute or so before totality
wrp96 and LapLap like this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:22 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Texas still worked. I was in Fredericksburg, my cousin was in Spicewood, my parents were in Dallas, and we all got a view of totality. My view was probably the worst—there were clouds over the sun for a part of our period of totality, though not all of it—but we felt very lucky anyway. Traffic for us (arrived in Fredericksburg yesterday, drove to Ft. Stockton after the eclipse today) was nonexistent. Sorry for all those who canceled their plans, because we had a great day!
Same here - we have been at Woodway Park at Waco and got 30 seconds of totality between clouds. Did worth all the effort and spending.

Need to start making plans for Valenica in 2026.
travelmad478 likes this.

Last edited by invisible; Apr 10, 2024 at 7:41 pm
Old Apr 9, 2024, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Southeast Missouri was perfect. Very much worth the effort to get down there to see totality. 4 full minutes, not a cloud in the sky. We were in a small state park....ran into a little bit of traffic getting out of there afterwards but not bad at all.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta, United
In a weird coincidence over the weekend I got blown across Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, and Oklahoma and found myself in Arkansas. Rather quiet but got the full show. Even had an astrophysicist professor to give the commentary.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Yes, I cancelled over a half-dozen reservations in the past week due to uncertain weather, and then booked that many +1 (well actually +2 since they were one-ways). Thanks no change fees!

View was great from CLE!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.