Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can you book a flight without a credit card?

Old Oct 28, 2023, 4:20 am
Original Poster

I always book a flight with my credit card. Then I show it at check in. I also have to use it if I book a flight with delta and thus use my credit card to my for my check in luggage at the kiosk or the check in counter.

I'm not that tech savy with lot of things... for example I didn't even know most people pay for food at restaurants and fast food restaurants with credit cards. I know people do it with debit cards but just didn't know most people pay electronically so much these days.

Now I have 1 credit card and 1 debit card that I been using for many years. So credit card is used for flight and purchasing things online like on amazon and other sites etc. I only use my debit card to withdraw money from an ATM. Might have used it once or twice for fast food but that was a long time ago.

What happens if you need to fly but your credit card is lost and you are outside the US or say it already expired and your bank didn't send you a replacement. Or say you want to travel somewhere for a few months soon and your credit card will expire in about 2 months and around that time, you would still be traveling abroad outside the US. And say you don't want to wait 2 weeks for your new credit card to arrive because you want to travel soon. Now obviously you can book your flight with your credit card now without an issue. But say 3 months later when you want to fly back, your credit card is expired. You only have a debit card. Can you book a flight with that debit card while outside the US and use it to pay for flight and checked bag? So whether you pay for the checked bag at kiosk or check in, it's fine to use a debit card? I know a debit card there isn't much protection compared to a credit card. Also you don't want any downtime without a credit card because if you call them and ask them to send you a new credit card, don't they cancel your current credit card until you receive the new one? I ask this because I would need to use my credit card to make purchases on amazon and other sites online in the meantime.

So the other thing you could do is contact your bank and let them know you will be traveling soon and ask them to send you a new card? However, could you have them send you the new card soon say a few months before it expires on the card but you keep using your old credit card until it expires... and then you activate the new credit card while outside the US so you will have that credit card while outside the US? Or that isn't possible?
Old Oct 28, 2023, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
That is why many people have two credit cards, as a backup, or for different benefits with certain uses.

These intricacies are discussed more fully in the FlyerTalk Credit, Debit & Prepaid Card Program Forums.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-programs-390/

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Oct 28, 2023 at 5:08 am
Old Oct 28, 2023, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Using credit cards at grocery stores = "tech savvy"?
farci, gfunkdave and fatmenace like this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
AA and B6 both accept PayPal for tickets purchased online. One can link one's bank account (and/or credit card) to a PayPal account.
​​​​​​
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by guv1976
AA and B6 both accept PayPal for tickets purchased online. One can link one's bank account (and/or credit card) to a PayPal account.
​​​​​​
UA accepts PayPal for inflight purchases.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by guv1976
​​​​​​
I've been asked to present the same physical CC I used to buy tickets upon check-in during several occasions. If I hadn't been able to produce it, I'm guessing a short call to Citi would have cleared things up, but having it spared me of this drill.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2023, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by jerry90210
So the other thing you could do is contact your bank and let them know you will be traveling soon and ask them to send you a new card? However, could you have them send you the new card soon say a few months before it expires on the card but you keep using your old credit card until it expires... and then you activate the new credit card while outside the US so you will have that credit card while outside the US? Or that isn't possible?
I can't speak for the US, but up here, credit cards are often sent the month before the expiry.month. And you can activate it as soon as you receive it (so for example, your card expires end of November, we would get the replacement sometime in October). Haven't tried activating one outside of Canada (I defer to the others for that). Usually activation for us is to insert the card into a reader and punch in your pin number. Seeing as doing that overseas is a big red flag security-wise, I doubt it would be permitted. Best to activate it if you receive it in the US and as soon as you get it.
farci likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:19 am

I have requested my renewal card early from Chase since I would be traveling when my card expires. I stated this is my preferred travel card and I didnt want to switch for the trip. Chase sent my card as requested. Card issuers want the increased spending which is typically associated with travelers.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K(until 2023), MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
In the literally 100s of flights I have booked I have never been required to show a card at check in. A small proportion of those purchases have been with my debit card (when the purchase is in a foreign currency - I thus avoid the commissions) and, again, never a problem.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
In the literally 100s of flights I have booked I have never been required to show a card at check in. A small proportion of those purchases have been with my debit card (when the purchase is in a foreign currency - I thus avoid the commissions) and, again, never a problem.
It doesn't happen often, but the samples I've seen are typically asian based airlines who require verifying the credit card. I don't think I've seen it happen during covid, but I do remember seeing them before for SQ or CX.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I always book a flight with my credit card. Then I show it at check in.
I have only had to show my credit card at airport check-in in some Asian countries. Advance check-in 24 hours was not allowed, maybe due to the airlines I was flying.

By far and large, you would never need to show a physical credit card at check-in.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
That is why many people have two credit cards, as a backup, or for different benefits with certain uses.
At FT, if you have less than 10, you are not doing it correctly

I kid, of course!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:31 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
In the literally 100s of flights I have booked I have never been required to show a card at check in
Try to book a flight with intra-Asia LCCs.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:33 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Repooc17
At FT, if you have less than 10, you are not doing it correctly
I know a guy who has 40 AMEX cards on his name...
Old Oct 30, 2023, 5:07 pm

In the literally 100s of flights I have booked I have never been required to show a card at check in.
"Tell me you've never flown EVA Airlines without explicitly saying you've never flown EVA Airlines.", or so the meme format goes.

Edit: Some FT threads:
Do I need to show credit card at check in
Book with OTA to avoid EVA credit card verification?
Do I need to show credit card at check in
Eva Airways booking with credit card
Eva Airways booking with credit card
Old Oct 30, 2023, 6:37 pm

I always book a flight with my credit card.
In answer to the question in the thread title, "Can you book a flight without a credit card?" I know in the past the answer was definitely yes. Way back when travel agents were common and airlines had city ticket offices, paying with a check or even cash was possible (I've done both). Travel agents do still exist, but I can't say if they still accept cash or checks. I suspect the ones at the AAA Service Center nearby would take checks if you're buying far enough in advance, but I can't guarantee it. I know AAA takes my checks for care repairs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.