Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Strobe light and deafening tone in hotel bathroom at 2am

Old Sep 26, 2023, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Last night I was woken up by a deafening continuous tone (no variation in tone, no gaps) and a strobe light flashing in the bathroom of my hotel room at about 2am. The sound and light show was only in the bathroom, not in any other part of the room. It stopped after 20 seconds or so, but recurred twice within a few minutes and then was silent for the rest of the night.

The second time I went out in the hallway and it was clear that only my room was affected.

It didnt resemble any alarm Ive ever encountered. This is an accessible room though, which got me wondering if it has different alarms certainly could explain the strobe (for deaf people) but a fire alarm that only goes off in one room and only in the bathroom doesnt seem very useful. Moreover, a fire alarm with a sound that doesnt resemble other fire alarms doesnt seem like a good idea, so Im inclined to think it wasnt a fire alarm.

Any ideas to satisfy my curiosity? Asked the front desk in the morning but they had no idea.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 1:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Were you alone? Could your partner have pulled the emergency cord by accident?
Old Sep 26, 2023, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Were you alone? Could your partner have pulled the emergency cord by accident?
Not alone, but we were both asleep (she slept through it the first time it happened!)

The cord definitely was not pulled.

does the emergency cord make this sound and strobe inside the room? Seems like it would make an already stressful situation (eg having fallen) worse I always assumed the alarm would go off somewhere outside the bathroom
Old Sep 26, 2023, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
No idea. The only other thing I can think is that in many big buildings, if the fire alarm has been activated lights will often flash for a short period before the alarm sounds, to give eagle-eyes staff a chance to prepare. Perhaps there was an accidental activation which was cancelled before the regular alarms sounded, but the accessible ones had already been triggered? But even that's a bit of a reach tbh.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by bobbytables
Any ideas to satisfy my curiosity? Asked the front desk in the morning but they had no idea.
Doesn't sound like an adequate response from the front desk.

They would have been very busy, but I would write to the property and ask for an explanation. It's possible there's a glitch in their alarm system that could be important for public safety
bobbytables likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Any chance that the cord was pulled by accident when trying to flush? This is super freaky of an incident.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by bobbytables
Last night I was woken up by a deafening continuous tone (no variation in tone, no gaps) and a strobe light flashing in the bathroom of my hotel room at about 2am. ...

It didnt resemble any alarm Ive ever encountered. This is an accessible room though, ...
If it was an accessible room, could it have been a "doorbell" (as an alternative to staff knocking on the door, to alert a hearing- or visually- impaired guest) that a person walking by in the hall might have pushed, either as a prank or accidentally?

We had a wireless doorbell set (circa Y2K) that we self-installed at our first home, and we hung one sending device on an unprotected place near our back door. It turned out the system would ring regularly (but kind of randomly) when we had heavy rain with strong wind from its most exposed direction. We thought kids were pranking us until we made the connection with rain dripping directly into the sending device button.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.