Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airports near each other but hard, expensive, or impossible to fly between?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2023, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

Wondering about airports which are near each other and which you might want to fly between because driving or other methods are laborious, but for which there are only laborious, expensive or even no routes at all…

I’m not thinking same cities or nearby places, so that excludes ideas like JFK to EWR or LHR to LGW or even LGW to BHX.

I’m thinking about something like Guyana, Surinam and French Guiana — GEO, PBM and CAY (Georgetown, Paramaribo and Cayenne) are very close geographically but seemingly impossible to fly between in any easy way.

Unlike, for example, TLV/BEY or TLV/DAM where there are political barriers that make nonstop flights impossible, that doesn’t seem to be the case here. Since the three neighboring countries/territories primarily have links to their former or current colonial powers (GEO to Caribbean islands and the UK, PBM to the Netherlands, and CAY to France) it’s practically or actually impossible to construct an itinerary between them that doesn’t go hugely out of the way and require separate tickets and even separate alliances.

Jersey/Guernsey to Paris also seems impossible — that’s quite surprising…

Other ideas I had:
Djerba to airports in Libya
(maybe?) Corsica to Sardinia
Faroe Islands to Scotland
Greenland to Canada

Bonus points for showing the craziest and most expensive itineraries you can find between these sorts of points….

edited to add: actually there is a nonstop GEO-PBM but not between GEO-CAY or PBM-CAY
Old May 15, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage
AA used to have BWI/PHL for connections in PHL but that flight is now gone. Used to be mainline at one time. Less than 100 miles (around 85 miles I think). So if you're a Baltimore area AA elite and want to fly AA International out of PHL it's drive of maybe the train.
Old May 15, 2023, 8:39 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
FIH-BZV?

How about Kinshasa to Brazzaville? Just across the Congo, but (I think) the most reasonable connection is via Addis… turns a 16 mile trip into 3,715….
salut0 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 15, 2023, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Just thought of a few more:
YHM (Hamilton, Ontario) to BUF (Buffalo NY)
SAN (San Diego) to TIJ (Tijuana)

in the middle east:
TCP Taba in Egypt
AQJ Aqaba in Jordan
ETM Elat in Israel

I remember reading that there are several airports in the Iguazu Falls border region in Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay but it seems impossible to fly between them directly:

IGU https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foz_...tional_Airport

AGT https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guar...tional_Airport

IGR https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cata...tional_Airport
Old May 15, 2023, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
How about Kinshasa to Brazzaville? Just across the Congo, but (I think) the most reasonable connection is via Addis… turns a 16 mile trip into 3,715….
Actually there does seem to be a nonstop flight!

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...hwNBcDubvRCRm8

Last edited by salut0; May 15, 2023 at 1:05 pm
Old May 15, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by salut0
Corsica to Sardinia
This is a good example. I searched for this in the past with no luck. Even hard to do with one stop in either France or Italy; probably an airline like KL/LX/LH is the best bet but out of the way.

Another example like yours, albeit a bit farther apart, is MLE-SEZ. I flew MRU-SEZ but am not aware of flights to MLE from either.
salut0 likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
YYJ-SEA @ 98 miles. Used to be up to (IIRC) 3 airlines that ran the route (QX/AS, AC and UA codesharing, and DL when DL had the notion of running QX out of SEA. Currently it's down to AS 1x daily which is also the only flight to/from the U.S. It's not like there is an easy alternative of going overland between the two.

(maybe?) Corsica to Sardinia
Surprisingly not that much traffic other than some agricutural ones. I took the ferry from Bonifacio to Sta Teresa di Gallura shortly before it was cancelled for a while (by Saremar, route now operated by Moby Lines). . Big lamenters were the local farmers. At any rate, airport for Bonifacio is relatively far away in Porto Vecchio and the approach by sea to (or even departure from) Bonifacio is spectacular.

Greenland to Canada
There was until 2015. Talk about your long, thin route though: 513 miles between Nuuk and Iqaluit and a combined population of less than 100,000 for Greenland and Nunavut.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...2015-1.2985006
https://www.rcinet.ca/eye-on-the-arc...language-ties/
salut0 likes this.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; May 15, 2023 at 1:53 pm
Old May 15, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
AA has mainline between PHX and TUS which is a little less than 100 miles. Flight time is about 20-25 minutes.
Old May 15, 2023, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

I read a book a while back about Alaska Airlines and a route they did to the Russian Far East from Nome to Provideniya:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frie...laska_Airlines)

I didn’t know, but just discovered from this article, that Alaska Airlines used to have a whole network of routes in the region. 1997 seems like a world away now, with current relations between the USA and Russia:

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/03/30/t...wild-east.html
Old May 15, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
A couple that jump to mind for me...

ATQ-LHE. Obviously a political situation, but the land border is open between the two, but not the "air border"
Jamaica - Haiti. At their closest points, only 118 miles apart, but you'd have to fly via Miami likely to fly between the two easily.
salut0 likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 5:24 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Oak-sjc/sfo
cos-den
orh-bos
dfw-dal
iah-hou
mdw-ord
san-cld
PUB -COS
gaobest likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

cblaisd I’d exclude coterminals, like OAK/SJC/SFO, MDW/ORD, IAH/HOU, DFW/DAL but the rest of your list is interesting.

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
ATQ-LHE. Obviously a political situation, but the land border is open between the two, but not the "air border"
And in this vein, I had originally thought of FNJ and ICN…

Last edited by salut0; May 15, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Old May 15, 2023, 8:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Does UX still go LAX-SNA?
Old May 15, 2023, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by salut0
I read a book a while back about Alaska Airlines and a route they did to the Russian Far East from Nome to Provideniya:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frie...laska_Airlines)

I didn’t know, but just discovered from this article, that Alaska Airlines used to have a whole network of routes in the region. 1997 seems like a world away now, with current relations between the USA and Russia:
Route (operate using MD-80s) collapsed before the current millennium IIRC de to an economic crisis in Russia at that time. It was ANC to 2-3 stops in the Russian far east including Vladivostok. There was, in that era, also air service by Air Magadan between Magadan and Anchorage (operated with a 3 engine Tupolev IIRC)
salut0 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 16, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by cblaisd
cos-den
UA flies this several times per day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.