Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotel Evacuations

Hotel Evacuations

Old May 15, 2023, 8:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
A burning clothes dryer at a new Springhill outside of Charlotte set off the alarm at OMFG-o'clock. Poked my head out the door (yes I felt it first!) and saw/smelled smoke, so knew it was for reals. Put pants on, grabbed wallet, keys, backpack, hoodie as it was cold out and headed to the rental car. Sat there with the engine/heat running for awhile while the fire dept showed up and did their thing. They let us back in eventually but by then it was already dawn and I had to be at my work site at 7 so very little sleep.
Old May 16, 2023, 2:41 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by born sleepy
A burning clothes dryer at a new Springhill outside of Charlotte set off the alarm at OMFG-o'clock. Poked my head out the door (yes I felt it first!) and saw/smelled smoke, so knew it was for reals. Put pants on, grabbed wallet, keys, backpack, hoodie as it was cold out and headed to the rental car. Sat there with the engine/heat running for awhile while the fire dept showed up and did their thing. They let us back in eventually but by then it was already dawn and I had to be at my work site at 7 so very little sleep.
We are sorry to hear of your experience. We would like to share your concerns with the hotel's leadership team. Please send us a private message with your confirmation number, full name on the reservation, and email address.
Old May 17, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta PM
While not an evacuation, a "you can't leave the hotel" story. In Scotsdale, AZ a haboob (Haboobs are most commonly found in Arizona. During “haboob season” these dust storms can occur several times each year. According to NOAA, about 100 haboobs were recorded in Arizona over a ten-year period) hit and an announcement was made that we could not leave, not that anyone in their right mind would.
Old May 17, 2023, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by realworld
not that anyone in their right mind would.
The "anyone in their right mind" part becomes very iffy in an emergency situation. I help run a weekly event for a large group of people and part of my duties include helping in case of an emergency. When we are going through our training every year, they always have to emphasize that if someone tries to leave when they shouldn't, that other than letting them know it's not advisable, you can't stop them. For example, there was a tornado in our area about 6 weeks ago, and several people put themselves in harms way by leaving where they were to try to beat the tornado.
realworld likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 9:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
We are sorry to hear of your experience. We would like to share your concerns with the hotel's leadership team. Please send us a private message with your confirmation number, full name on the reservation, and email address.
Thanks but this was at least five years ago!
strickerj likes this.
Old May 20, 2023, 3:06 pm

Been pretty lucky with hotels actually. Only had a couple of alarms. One at about 5am at a cheap hotel in Paris donkeys years ago which I think was kitchen related and one at an apart-hotel in Copenhagen about 2am caused by someone smoking something dodgy in their bathroom.

The worst places for fire alarms are university halls. I lived in one for 3 years as a student and guaranteed at least twice a week some numpty would come in smashed out of their skull and set off the alarm.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Grey Nomad
The worst places for fire alarms are university halls. I lived in one for 3 years as a student and guaranteed at least twice a week some numpty would come in smashed out of their skull and set off the alarm.
It's always some yahoo who thinks Popcorn needs to go into the microwave for 22 minutes.
strickerj and Grey Nomad like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by pinniped
It's always some yahoo who thinks Popcorn needs to go into the microwave for 22 minutes.
Ones I remember:

some people tossing a football up and down the hall took out an exit sign setting off the alarm.

Somebody cooking mac and cheese in a electric kettle.

Somebody who didn't realize they couldn't microwave metal utensils.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We also had the guys who hotboxed their room VERY successfully, thus setting off the alarm.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
That reminds me of my neighbor in the dorm my freshman year falling asleep while cooking something on the stove in the middle of the night. We all evacuated for about an hour over that one. I can only imagine what he must have thought when he woke up to the fire alarm and realized he was the cause of it...

The only time I've had to evacuate a hotel room was my class trip to Washington DC in 8th grade, when some of my fellow classmates set off the sprinklers by hanging a blanket from one.
Old May 25, 2023, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Either that or someone pulls the alarm just to be a prat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.