Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why isn’t being quiet in airports, on trains, etc. a social norm in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why isn’t being quiet in airports, on trains, etc. a social norm in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

2 examples today:

1. Guy in the lounge, on a phone call with the airline, getting some ticketing sorted out. He used headphones and kept his voice down. Totally fine.

2. A guy at the gate, watching videos on one phone, with volume way up, and using another phone to talk to someone, while yelling, all talking about his drunken night last night (but it could have been any non-urgent topic). That’s an example of what irks me.
mlbcard likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:12 pm

In the US, why isn’t being quiet while traveling a social norm?
I guess I'm of the mindset that these kinds of "why" questions for cultural norms generally don't have a productive answer, or alternatively the answer is "because it's the cultural norm, so that's the way it is." It feels similar to me to asking:
  • Why is it rude to start a conversation in France without bonjour? Answer: because that's the way it is
  • Why is it rude to call older relatives in Chinese culture by their given names? Answer: because that's the way it is
  • Why is it the social norm not to directly ask what a friend's salary is in US culture? Answer: because that's the way it is
I mean obviously one can often trace these to some underlying reason, but the fact remains that cultural norms are just arbitrary, and also vary!. (It would feel very odd/robotic if I called my American aunt "Aunt Number Three," but in Mandarin doing this -- i.e. 三阿姨 -- is absolutely normal. Similarly, in some social groups it's probably normal to ask about salary, but in others it's viewed as absolutely gauche.)

I hasten to add that I too don't like loud noises when traveling (I hate when people play loud music audibly on the NYC subway), but (1) I'm aware that my preferences are not everyone's preferences and (2) I'm aware of the ultimately arbitrary nature of these kinds of cultural preferences -- why is playing music loudly generally viewed as bad by most people, whereas talking on the phone is not?

Finally, I also think this thread is going a little bit poorly because we are all not talking about the same thing. Is "being quiet while traveling" avoiding all phone calls? Or just avoiding talking loudly? Or literally being completely silent? I don't think everyone is on the same page.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:39 pm

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
2 examples today:

1. Guy in the lounge, on a phone call with the airline, getting some ticketing sorted out. He used headphones and kept his voice down. Totally fine.

2. A guy at the gate, watching videos on one phone, with volume way up, and using another phone to talk to someone, while yelling, all talking about his drunken night last night (but it could have been any non-urgent topic). That’s an example of what irks me.
It might be time for you to invest in some (more than $5) noise-canceling headphones and wear them whenever you are in a public place.
kokonutz, SPN Lifer, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 7:05 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
No:
So you decided to unload your frustration here?

It won't be too long until someone tells you to take a hike to the nearest lake.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Red L
It might be time for you to invest in some (more than $5) noise-canceling headphones and wear them whenever you are in a public place.
I have Bose Quiet Confort 45s.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
So you decided to unload your frustration here?

It won't be too long until someone tells you to take a hike to the nearest lake.
They can go for it. They’ll get really far in an airport lounge where the rule is that you must use earphones when listening to a device, but they don’t.

Bring it on.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:05 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
OP - have you ever asked people to talk quieter or are you one of those passive aggressive types that puts up with it and then spews it all out on FT?
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
OP - have you ever asked people to talk quieter or are you one of those passive aggressive types that puts up with it and then spews it all out on FT?
What if there were no rhetorical questions......?

;-)
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:23 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Maybe have a more realistic goal to have more airports turn off their load annoying PA systems announcing every darn flight, and repeating lame anouncemnets over and over again. (Yes, we obviously know you can't smoke indoors its 2023!) This is so outdated there are screens everywhere plus smartphones.

Recently Lima airport decided to turn off their PA system unless its for emergencies and OMG its like night and day compared to the last time I was there. This to me is far more annoying then someone talking loud on their phone which you can easily get away from, and not a realistic goal to not allow people to use their cellphone in a public place.

Get some noise cancelling earbuds dude.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:48 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Thank God I live in Japan. Every time I visit the US, I am astonished by the number of people yelling into their phones in public places, often with the speaker on.

I've had experiences in airport lounges for Japanese airlines where everyone was very quiet except for one or two Americans bellowing into their phones. Everyone in the lounge could hear every word of the conversation.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 10:51 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by PointsPanda
not a realistic goal to not allow people to use their cellphone in a public place.
Somehow it works in Japan (population 120 million).
mjm and WeekendTraveler like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:24 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
The solution is the same as the babies and toddlers in premium cabin issue: noise canceling headphones.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 1:03 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I've had experiences in airport lounges for Japanese airlines where everyone was very quiet
Every single time I was at ANA lounges in NRT or HND (I've been in Japan >20 times until Covid), there is at least one Japanese who is slurping udon with such noise that you can hear it from the entrance.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
There aren't all that many countries where being quiet is a norm, and even if there were, every country has loud idiots.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 2:37 am

I’m wondering why I spent so much time reading the OP’s rant. There must be a better way to spend time. And I prefer quiet myself! I travel alone, virtually never speak in airports, never put on noise at home, but still!
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.