Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why isn’t being quiet in airports, on trains, etc. a social norm in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why isn’t being quiet in airports, on trains, etc. a social norm in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2023, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
No.

If someone is going to act in a way that irritates others, it's on the person to change his or her ways, and to act less irritatingly. And, no, if you're at an airport gate, particularly shortly before departure or in case of IRROPS, you can't easily move.

Being irritated by loud cell phone calls is a widespread view.
Classic "Bandwagon Fallacy".

"I want this to change, but I recognize that my lone opinion won't carry enough weight. So I will anoint myself the spokesperson for 'everyone'."
SPN Lifer, ecaarch, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
I find it irritating also, especially if it’s a business call. I’ve seen way too many seasoned business travelers scream about their company’s finances or bad mouth others on the phone while in the airport. I assume with these conversations invariably concerning spending large amounts of money, they want to seem important.
ZenFlyer and WeekendTraveler like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
All I ask:

I’ve gone up to multiple cell phone yellers in airport lounges and handed earphones to them and said, “May I offer you some earphones, in case you’d like some privacy?”

Curious as to how much the OP spends on earphones in an average month that are then given away to voluble travellers. Or are they, perchance, a sales rep for an earphone manufacturer who always carries a bunch of samples?
hikouki, clkc86, Reno1979 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I always travel with ear plugs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Personal freedom is highly valued in the US. The idea of "if you don't like a person doing something you don't like (eg being loud) then move away from them/go somewhere else" is more in line with the culture. In other places it would be more along the lines of "don't do something that could potentially annoy someone else."
mjm, enviroian, hikouki and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
In general, we are rude and self-righteous people. We think of others last.

YMMV....and I hope they do!
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 4:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Classic "Bandwagon Fallacy".

"I want this to change, but I recognize that my lone opinion won't carry enough weight. So I will anoint myself the spokesperson for 'everyone'."
No, look at polling data, the articles I linked to above, etc. Cellphone calls in public are widely viewed as irritating.

For example, just look at the public’s reaction when allowing cellphone calls was considered onboard planes. And gyms, private clubs, etc. widely ban or restrict cellphone use.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 4:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by southlondonphil
Curious as to how much the OP spends on earphones in an average month that are then given away to voluble travellers. Or are they, perchance, a sales rep for an earphone manufacturer who always carries a bunch of samples?
I give away about one pair a month. They’re about $5 each in bulk online.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 4:36 pm

No, look at polling data, the articles I linked to above, etc. Cellphone calls in public are widely viewed as irritating.

For example, just look at the public’s reaction when allowing cellphone calls was considered onboard planes. And gyms, private clubs, etc. widely ban or restrict cellphone use.
But YOU are not the spokesperson. Nobody elected YOU the enforcer of what you think society wants. Your original complaint is that YOU find it irritating, and now you are trying to gin up support by trying to step out of the spotlight.

The whole argument is weaksauce.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 4:50 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
It's not just "1 person [who] finds [cell phone calls] irritating":

Why Overheard Cell Phone Conversations Are So Annoying | TIME.com

Why Are Public Cell Phone Users So Annoying? | Psychology Today

If you do something that is generally irritating to others...don't do it; that's basic courtesy.
Neither of these studies say a majority of people would prefer quiet in airports. Just that people talk louder on cell phones.

Yeah, loud cell phone conversations are a slight annoyance. But I'd rather have the option to make a call if I want to, than ban it entirely. If I want quiet, I can always just wear headphones.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
But YOU are not the spokesperson. Nobody elected YOU the enforcer of what you think society wants. Your original complaint is that YOU find it irritating, and now you are trying to gin up support by trying to step out of the spotlight.

The whole argument is weaksauce.
No:

1. Cellphone calls in public are widely viewed as irksome. Thus the question I posed.

2. There are lots of places where cellphone calls are banned or restricted (private clubs, gyms, etc.).
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Why should what 1 person finds irritating dictate what hundreds, maybe thousands, of others do? Airports are public places, and as long folks aren't committing a crime, delaying or interfering with the operations of the airport and airlines, attacking or insulting others, maybe MYOB is the best policy.

Because it sNOT just one person!
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Personal freedom is highly valued in the US. The idea of "if you don't like a person doing something you don't like (eg being loud) then move away from them/go somewhere else" is more in line with the culture. In other places it would be more along the lines of "don't do something that could potentially annoy someone else."

Yes, there are no freedoms in any other country !!
mjm and sadiqhassan like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I find the trains in Chicago to be particularly noisy. A lot of times it's young people. They're loud and boisterous and kind of aggressive, like they're hoping you'll challenge them. Happens occasionally on the NY subway as well. But the worst was a bunch of drunken sports fans after a soccer game in Munich.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
But any cell phone conversation at a crowded airport gate is still more noise, and even if someone isn't sleeping or having a phone conversation, it can be extremely irritating. Why not just listen to music or do anything other than talk on the phone?
My 93yo father has dementia. Those here that have dealt with this know that they function best when things happen on a regular schedule. That means his mealtimes are consistent. It also means that I call him consistently at 6:15pm everyday. Regardless of where I am in the world, at 6:15pm in his time zone I'm calling him. It might be 1:15am where I am at that moment, but he gets a call at the same time every day. Sometimes that means that my call is while I'm at the gate at the airport. Sometimes it's when I'm in the jetway. Sometimes it's from the plane before the boarding door has closed. I'm gonna be discrete and find the quietest location available to call from, but I'm not skipping my call because of the OP or anybody else.
SPN Lifer, wrp96, Red L and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.