Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you taken a city bus or light rail to the airport?

Have you taken a city bus or light rail to the airport?

Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Buses are underrated. If it makes sense, I'm going to pick the option that is $5.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta, United
I have taken the bus from Oxford to Heathrow several times. Same with Trax in SLC. Easy. I do it when it makes sense.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
As YVR is my home airport and I live near a station, I have been very spoiled by the Canada Line Skytrain.

Unless I really need a car, I will take transit over any other option just about everywhere I travel. I like experimenting with different modes like Heathrow Express vs. Picadilly line from LHR and CAT vs. S-Bahn from VIE. The regular line is always a better deal and at least as convenient in most cases.

KRK was one of the least convenient, though YOW and YYC are also pretty bad. At least the latter two will be getting LRT service eventually.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: some
Plenty of times and on several airports - usually much less of a nuissance than taxis / rental cars / own car (figuring in the cost of parking)
Old Sep 21, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I always prefer public transit if it is easy and efficient and convenient. That's not always the case, of course. I think I've only done it once in BOS, as a novelty. It's totally not convenient from home and would take 3-4x as long. I've definitely done it at DCA more than once and I've done it at ORD. I've done it at JFK also when coming from mid-town. I've done it at LHR and prefer it.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:24 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tennis69
I've taken the Maglev train from Shanghai to PVG many times. 431 kph (268 mph) gets you there quickly.
If it crossed the Bund, that's one thing. But it takes you to a station where people will most likely have to transfer to the metro anyway.
Even though the ride the airport is usual miserable -- and always a "lengthy" one -- I prefer it than having to transfer ANYWHERE. IME, transfers in China are unpleasant at best.

n.b. not a recent epiphany, but I've tried as much as possible to stick to Hongqiao.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
ATL: I live well north of the airport. Lately I park at the Sandy Springs MARTA station — $5/day — and take the train right into the terminal, esp. for a personal trip. I'll let work pay a little more to park at the Parking Spot. Unfortunately there's no means of getting from my home to the stations other than taxi/uber or the closest bus stop a mile away, not with luggage. If I have a late arrival home I'll usually park off-airport because I know I'll be tired and cranky and not in the mood to deal with drunks/idiots on the train.

SEA: twice I've had customer visits downtown and I really liked taking the train into the city and not dealing with rental cars and stupid shuttle buses and parking. One was in walking distance and the other a short hoof from the SLUT stop (South Lake Union Trolley, kids; they shoulda focus-grouped that name).

TLV: depends where you're staying, and don't bother if you arrive Friday after 3pm or Saturday (unsure if the trains run after sunset) as the trains are shut for Shabbat, but it's a quick ride to/from Tel Aviv/Ben Gurion.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
This is my preferred way to get to and from the airport. Many times and many airports, including LHR, YYZ, SFO, SEA, ORD. Only problem is if I am travelling with lots of luggage, and the bus or train has insufficent storage space. But I usually travel light...
Old Sep 28, 2022, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't think I can list them all. If there's a good train-to-city service, that's my preferred way to go for most trips.

Off the top of my head: ATH, LHR, LGW, CDG, FRA, MUC, ORD, MDW, ATL, EWR, JFK, BOS, SFO, OAK, SEA, PDX, PVG, SHA, HKG, NRT, PHX, MSP. I'm probably missing like 5 or 10.

Boston is perhaps the most interesting one: coming from Providence, I'd ride train to boat to bus to get to BOS. Sometimes stop for a beer at an outdoor bar near the waterbus station. I would only do it this way in good weather if I had lots of time, of course.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just rode the RTD Red Line from Downtown Cleveland to CLE yesterday. It was great, cost me $2.50, the station was a 10 minute walk from my hotel and the train goes right to the terminal at CLE.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by CMK10
Just rode the RTD Red Line from Downtown Cleveland to CLE yesterday. It was great, cost me $2.50, the station was a 10 minute walk from my hotel and the train goes right to the terminal at CLE.
Super easy. The Cleveland Rapid was the first such City-Airport rail connection in The Americas IIRC
kochleffel likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Had a ride from ORD to South Loop this week. It is OK, slower and takes about 1h to reach South Loop but fine if you don't rush.

I found that in the US to get to the train station from the terminal is a significant walk time or shuttle/mover service, while in Europe/Asia train stations are incorporated into the airport itself.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by invisible
Had a ride from ORD to South Loop this week. It is OK, slower and takes about 1h to reach South Loop but fine if you don't rush.

I found that in the US to get to the train station from the terminal is a significant walk time or shuttle/mover service, while in Europe/Asia train stations are incorporated into the airport itself.
I find the Metro connectivity at DCA and the CTA connectivity at ORD on arrival to the airport to be no less convenient for me than when taking the trains on arrival at LHR, CDG, BRU, ARN. [Ok, the DCA one is perhaps a little less comfortable for me in summer.]
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by invisible

It varies. PDX is just a few steps from the baggage carousels. SEA is across the parking garage. SFO depends on which terminal you need. DAL requires a shuttle while DFW has trains to Dallas from one terminal and trains to Ft Worth from another.

I remember when there were terminals at CDG that required a bus shuttle to the train. GVA/AMS are probably the easiest. LHR seems like the train platforms are always just around the next corner......
Old Oct 3, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: BA, QF, DL, A3, IHG
Tried to get the bus to MCI from KC but it never showed up - $50 ubers each way unfortunately.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.