Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how hard should I try to pay the bnb?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:15 am
Original Poster

how hard should I try to pay the bnb?

Stayed at a nice quaint bed and breakfast, had called prior to give my credit card. They didn't swipe my card when I arrived. And after a few days I noticed no charge so sent them an email. They responded with my "credit card number", saying it didn't work. I told them I don't give credit card numbers over email and that they can call me for it.
A few days past, and then I miss a call from them. Call back within the hour, no response.
Sent an email telling them to tell me when they are going to call. No response.

I did stay, I should pay. I shouldn't have to put up with this hassle but does it make it right?

(they don't pick up phone calls. This is my experience even before staying there when trying to arrange a stay)
Old Aug 27, 2022, 3:09 am

Email a specific day/time they should call?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
Email a specific day/time they should call?
They barely respond to emails.
So, email some time days in advance and if they don't call, that's that?
(the last email I sent was 5 days ago, no response)
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:29 am

At this point, I'd drop it. You've made a fair effort.

If they call, don't make an attempt to avoid it. But you shouldn't have to chase them in order to pay them.

I say this assuming the card number you gave was correct/valid.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by will2288
At this point, I'd drop it. You've made a fair effort.

If they call, don't make an attempt to avoid it. But you shouldn't have to chase them in order to pay them.

I say this assuming the card number you gave was correct/valid.
I called them, no answer, called again, no answer and left the number on their voicemail. I'm done.

The problem is the language barrier. English is not their first language. But I'm not willing to just send a plaintext email with my card number. It would be nice to get them on the phone and I can ensure they got the number right, but I cannot figure out a way to do that.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Other FTers can weigh in, but I've sometimes sent two separate emails with the first 8 and last 8 digits. Then another email with exp date.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjflies
Other FTers can weigh in, but I've sometimes sent two separate emails with the first 8 and last 8 digits. Then another email with exp date.
I don't think my email is compromised but theirs definitely can be.

They are a small setup but that is in violation of PCI DSS.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Mail them a check.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic
Mail them a check.
Impossible (or nearly so, different country).
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:06 pm

Get a virtual credit card, email them the number then cancel it once it's been used.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:26 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Pay them.

Whatever it takes.

--
It took me months to pay a lodge in Botswana I stayed at for one night.
Everything went wrong, constantly. Communications, online payment processing, giving him my CC #... etc.

Difficulty is not an excuse to steal.
Get it done - whatever is required. You'd expect and appreciate someone doing the same for you.
SK, Jaimito Cartero, JBa and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Pay them.

Whatever it takes.

--
Everything went wrong, constantly. Communications, online payment processing, giving him my CC #... etc.

Get it done - whatever is required. You'd expect and appreciate someone doing the same for you.
Exactly right. If seriously interested in paying a debt to a foreign B&B operator there are many ways. Money order, EMT, direct bank deposit, international money transfers for example.

If however not paying the bill were the objective there are many possible excuses. Whine about the hassle, cite language difficulties, refuse to put a credit card number in an email, say it was nearly impossible to mail a cheque and go online to seek validation of the decision to stiff the B&B operator.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Zero chance of Venmo PayPal zelle

even fb messenger payment or iMessages payment?

Alipay? (I’m reaching - I know a limited number of payment processors)
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Pay them.

Whatever it takes.

--

How do you equate this to stealing?

I would not expect the same. If I was supposed to meet someone so they could pay me and I skipped out, I would not expect them to have to, say, drive an hour to pay me.

Why don't you just give me your credit card number, email is fine, I will forward the email to them and I can pay yoi via zelle?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Exactly right. If seriously interested in paying a debt to a foreign B&B operator there are many ways. Money order, EMT, direct bank deposit, international money transfers for example.

If however not paying the bill were the objective there are many possible excuses. Whine about the hassle, cite language difficulties, refuse to put a credit card number in an email, say it was nearly impossible to mail a cheque and go online to seek validation of the decision to stiff the B&B operator.
So when did I sign a contract that all the expenses incurred for trying to make payment are mine? My time is free? And I guess many people on FT put their credit card number in emails, and don't mind the hassle that getting a new credit card entails because they don't have to pay for it (so are you stiffing your credit card company by doing something obviously ripe for fraud?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.