Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best way of showing appreciation to hotel Front Desk Workers?

Old Aug 12, 2022, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

I have an upcoming reservation for several rooms at the Amsterdam Doubletree Centraal Station. The front desk staff/supervisors have been excellent at helping me upgrade the rooms. While the upgrades are within the realm of normal for diamond and gold members, they have been excellent about specific requests and doing this in advance, as opposed to telling me to wait until I arrive, or a couple of days before.

Is there a way of showing appreciation? Do people give a tip? A gift?

It isnt really Hilton specific, but since it is a Hilton hotel I thought Id ask here. Also I give the specific hotel, because the answer might be different from different locations and/or hotel types.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by happy10345
I have an upcoming reservation for several rooms at the Amsterdam Doubletree Centraal Station. The front desk staff/supervisors have been excellent at helping me upgrade the rooms. While the upgrades are within the realm of normal for diamond and gold members, they have been excellent about specific requests and doing this in advance, as opposed to telling me to wait until I arrive, or a couple of days before.

It isnt really Hilton specific, but since it is a Hilton hotel I thought Id ask here. Also I give the specific hotel, because the answer might be different from different locations and/or hotel types.

Thanks for the thoughts.
I normally feedback through the survey or email direct to the property or use the global Hilton feedback "catch me at my best" https://submitmycatch.com/
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:58 pm

Yes. please submit professional feedback regarding the performance of individuals in their respective roles using the aforementioned formal channels.

No, please do not contribute to the spread of "tipping culture" or anything resembling quid pro quo or outright bribery.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 3:43 pm

Write a detailed review and recognize the staff by name on sites like Tripadvisor.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 6:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since the question really is more general than just Hilton-family hotel workers, let's move to Travel Buzz.

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Hilton forum
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Just thank them: let then know you appreciate the effort they made. But please don't tip them. That's cringeworthy.

And I'm not so sure about the Tripadvisor idea. I mostly discount reviews which praise individuals as coming from friends&family. Maybe I'm too cynical
Old Aug 12, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Maybe not a cash tip, but a small gift would probably be appreciated. From my days at the desk, we always appreciated snacks. It's not a "tip;" it's just a gift to show your appreciation.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I think the idea of a gift/snack was something I was thinking about, but not sure how’d that play in Covid times
Old Aug 12, 2022, 11:04 pm

Thanks for the thoughts.
In The Netherlands a cash "tip" may give offense to someone in a professional role, as many hotel staff see themselves. A small gift with a handwritten note might be better received.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
In The Netherlands a cash "tip" may give offense to someone in a professional role, as many hotel staff see themselves. A small gift with a handwritten note might be better received.
The safest route to an offence-free transaction is through a warm smile and a sincere thank you. A note/card might be the next less risky route: even the most hardened professional should be able to take the slight weirdness in his/her stride. Gifts risk puzzlement at the premeditation and effort involved, even if they don't cause offence.

Most of us are adept at accepting services and kindnesses throughout the day: some big, some small, but we don't reward them with cash or gifts. We offer no more than a smile, maybe a wave, to the driver who stops to wave us across the road; we thank the supermarket worker who walks us over to where the cereal is kept; and maybe we give a extra-warm thank you to the check-in agent who finds us a good seat

Yesterday a pharmacist talked me through the available over-the-counter medicine I needed, and ended up showing me how I could get it much cheaper online. I'm grateful for the effort she put in, but I don't plan on going back to the shop to give her a peanut bar.

We don't feel a need to tip these people, or buy them gifts. We acknowledge their kindness with words and smiles, and we reward them through karma by being, ourselves, kind and helpful to others.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:00 am

Just thank them.
No need to fawn.

Personally I wait until I'm home and then call the manager to express my thanks.
Immense gratitude.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Yes, I think the idea of a gift/snack was something I was thinking about, but not sure howd that play in Covid times
I recently, for the first time, did this. The GM helped with a reservation (allowed me to book one night in a 3-nt minimum time) which I thought was very kind. I'm from Oregon, so I got a gift box of assorted Oregon hazelnuts (chocolate covered, caramel, etc.) with a note thanking him and saying it was for the staff (not a personal gift). In terms of being "Covid times" as long as the package is factory wrapped I don't see a problem. And I deliberately chose something from my local area, not something anyone can get anywhere.
albie likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I don't share the horror about the "tipping culture" but this would not be a service that I'd offer a cash tip. I would write their superiors and express your delight with the service. The other thing I would suggest is posting comments on their Twitter account. Big companies seem to pay inordinate attention to what is posted on Twitter about them.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:35 am
formerly rt23456p

Post on TA instead, don't want to see tipping culture spreading!
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Just thank them: let then know you appreciate the effort they made. But please don't tip them. That's cringeworthy.
This. Say thank you, sincerely. Be polite to them. Goes a long way, especially if they've recently had to deal with DYKWIAs and Karens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.