Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How dumb is it to buy a cheap ticket (and not fly) just to visit a nice lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How dumb is it to buy a cheap ticket (and not fly) just to visit a nice lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
But but but OMAAT and TPG definitely weren’t paid money (either directly or via referral $$$) to make it sound like the best lounge ever.

OP, can’t you wait until you have a legit trip? Think about how much a ticket is that you are throwing away $150?

Great go buy an actual bottle of Dom and have a party at your house. Travel warps our sense of reality but just check yourself on how much a cheap throwaway ticket costs vs just having a similar experience going to the spa and buying yourself a nice bottle of wine
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
All I keep thinking of is how much they are going to drink and how much that DUI is going to cost. If you are there to eat and drink all you want, alcohol restraint is probably not first in your mind.
moondog likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
All I keep thinking of is how much they are going to drink and how much that DUI is going to cost. If you are there to eat and drink all you want, alcohol restraint is probably not first in your mind.
Could check yourself into the Hyatt and come back and hit the lounge for breakfast the next day.

Wait, you'd have to buy another Frontier ticket...
moondog and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Duke787
But but but OMAAT and TPG definitely weren’t paid money (either directly or via referral $$$) to make it sound like the best lounge ever.

OP, can’t you wait until you have a legit trip? Think about how much a ticket is that you are throwing away $150?

Great go buy an actual bottle of Dom and have a party at your house. Travel warps our sense of reality but just check yourself on how much a cheap throwaway ticket costs vs just having a similar experience going to the spa and buying yourself a nice bottle of wine
We're all old jaded MFers. The novelty of a lounge was quite a thing for me 30-some years ago. The only way one gets over the novelty is to experience it.

Once upon a time, I must have needed some segments or a small amount of miles and made a turn @ LAX, as I had a US lounge pass (and had never been in a US lounge and there was no restriction on what airline you were flying back then) so I planned enough time for my return so I could "enjoy" some lounge time. What a waste of time. But it was 1990-something and an excellent lesson in learning that the opulent splendor of a US lounge was even less opulent than a UA RCC! Priceless!
flyme2 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:23 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by invisible
Not in the US, but in Singapore, people were jailed for going to the airport and not flying. In the Singapore forum, there was a thread for it.
Just wanna write that, lol, but you got it first. LOL!
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:39 am
formerly rt23456p

I believe some tiny airports in china offer services on planes that sit 5, charging people < 8 USD, they were so heavily subsidized to the extent that they offer lounge access to everyone in the facility, and it could be worth it just to visit the lounge, however, most of these airports are quite deserted and sometimes you are the only one passenger, if you decide to not-fly, good luck to you explaining to the pilot!
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:13 am

The only reason that makes sense would be to visit a friend who’s on a layover at that airport
Old Aug 11, 2022, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Yes it is dumb. Unless you are walking distance to the airport it is going to cost you to get there so for the price of that you could just go to a restaurant.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 5:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Yes it is dumb. Unless you are walking distance to the airport it is going to cost you to get there so for the price of that you could just go to a restaurant.
A lot of people who have public transport system period passes face no additional financial cost to get to/from the airport even when not in convenient walking distance to the airports. For example, if having a monthly MTA pass for NYC or monthly SL pass for Stockholm, getting to and from LaGuardia or Arlanda airports can cost no additional money during the period than the period passes purchased and needed for other purposes. And I’m pretty sure it’s not hard to eat and drink multiples more than the train+bus fare value at some Centurion lounges. Of course this kind of thing doesn’t really fly as well for questionable cheapskates if the ticket used to access the lounges isn’t fully flexible/refundable.
lsquare, rt23456p and MatJarosz like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 4:37 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A lot of people who have public transport system period passes face no additional financial cost to get to/from the airport even when not in convenient walking distance to the airports. For example, if having a monthly MTA pass for NYC or monthly SL pass for Stockholm, getting to and from LaGuardia or Arlanda airports can cost no additional money during the period than the period passes purchased and needed for other purposes. And I’m pretty sure it’s not hard to eat and drink multiples more than the train+bus fare value at some Centurion lounges. Of course this kind of thing doesn’t really fly as well for questionable cheapskates if the ticket used to access the lounges isn’t fully flexible/refundable.
In some lounges(mainly banks), you go to the lounge before security, I have been to a lounge in SZX where you only can go through private security slightly before you board, therefore, this can create a lot of conveniences, as no one would know that you don't posses a valid boarding pass, however, all of the lounges operating under this model only gives limited credit points(no Unlimited PP or sort) to high-level bank cards, and using such lounges is very time-consuming as well(technically, you need to register on your phone at least a day ahead of you flight to guarantee you a space in the lounge, but if there are vacancy inside the lounge, they are more than happy to let you in).
Old Aug 14, 2022, 2:38 pm

On a scale from 1-10?

Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:28 am

Agree for most people it does not make sense but I have done this before. The biggest issue is the time commitment. Best scenario is to buy a refundable ticket (yes, United and DL will refund after check-in). Refund before the flight departs.

But the other costs have to be mitigated. I have parked at an airport hotel and taken their shuttle etc. I did not do it for the novelty. I had a friend flying who needed to use the lounge (over 6 hour layover) and I essentially wanted to see, and took the person in and left there after a while.

Would I regularly do it just for food and drinks? No - the time commitment is a bit more than the payoff for me. if you get nothing from this post - get that a refundable ticket can be refunded after checking in. BTW I have precheck and had just a empty backpack so security was a breeze.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Could check yourself into the Hyatt and come back and hit the lounge for breakfast the next day.

Wait, you'd have to buy another Frontier ticket...
Flying Frontier, his flight may get canceled, so then he can reticket for a flight the next day.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
But how to you leave airside? usually the airport doesn't allow you.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Some chinese guy rebooking his first class ticket 300 times ;-)

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/29615233.cms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.