Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How much do airlines' Customer Relations staff care about problems that customer have

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much do airlines' Customer Relations staff care about problems that customer have

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Seeing the many upset passengers who post about their experiences on Flyertalk, I would guess that airlines' customer relations employees' days must be filled with receiving and dealing with these types of situations.

Question: If you ever have worked in a customer relations office of an airline, or if you know someone who has, how much do airline customer relations employees care about passengers who deal with situations such as the ones on Flyertalk: delays, unexpected overnight stays, downgrades, etc.?

I would figure that it would be easy to be desensitized to individual passengers' experiences once a person has read and responded to thousands of them, and I would figure that nice passengers would get more compensation than nasty ones. But I am curious.

Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:49 pm

How much status has one bought?

Some see status as where their place on the upgrade list is or amount of free bags they get, but I like to think of status as the percentage that one will be treated as an actual person/customer (and not just a number/annoyance to clear) when things go wrong.

Dont work there but between personal experience on different carriers with/without status, plus reading these boards I would guesstimate:

No status 0%-0.5%
Low status 0.5%-5%
Mid tiers 5%-30% & 30-50%
Top published 50%-80%+ (more if this is the last level)
Invite & secret handshake status ~80%+

** add 10-20% for treating the CSRs as you wish to be treated and/or as people also
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
this is probably a good time to reiterate that FTers are not anywhere near a representative sample of the traveling public, and I strongly suspect that a majority of social media posts, TV spots, newsfeed items, etc about passengers dissatisfied with the airline customer service experience are not about FTers

Originally Posted by random.parts
… (treat) the CSRs as you wish to be treated and/or as people also
this is 10000% the case
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Sure, and thanks. My question is more geared at people who work for airlines.

When they see passenger complaint after passenger complaint, even for serious things such as maybe missing a wedding because of some type of airline screwup, do they just see so many of these stories that they laugh, give whatever compensation is within airline guidelines, and move on to the next one? Or do they truly feel badly about what happened, and they're caring people who are in this line of work because they truly want to help passengers?

I guess it's a subjective question, hard to give concrete feedback about, but I'd be curious.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
During one of the CO do's in the 200x's, I toured the call center that handles inbound calls for lost baggage. Talk about a thankless job! Every single person that calls has a lost bag. Imagine having to answer the phone for those as your full-time job? I would have to think that they become desensitized almost immediately, as I don't see how you could become as wound up about lost bags as many of the callers probably are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.