Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If you take trains between two distant cities that have nonstop flights: why?

If you take trains between two distant cities that have nonstop flights: why?

Old Jun 6, 22, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold
In the US, I know people who take the train because of fear of flying, or who have time on their hands and are really cheap. Time-wise, train travel only beats airlines on DC-NYP or NYP-BOS, because NYP is midtown NYC. Also, Acela first class is pretty good. (Beats 1sr Class TGV or ICE, sorry.)
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 6, 22, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artpen100 View Post
Time-wise, train travel only beats airlines on DC-NYP or NYP-BOS, because NYP is midtown NYC. Also, Acela first class is pretty good. (Beats 1sr Class TGV or ICE, sorry.)
Some station stops on the Penn Line are also pretty useful (e.g. Philadelphia, Baltimore, Princeton, New Haven, Providence).
Old Jun 9, 22, 6:19 pm

I recently travelled from Amsterdam to Warsaw by train. The reasons were to save money (accompanied by my spouse, two tickets were not much more expensive than one), to be able to spend a night at an intermediate point (we chose Bremen - a Hanseatic city we had never visited before) AND to be able to look out of the window. Overall an enjoyable trip, though the part of which was on Polish Railways was less than enjoyable since the conductors allowed everyone to board, regardless of whether they had a reservation or not, resulting in massive overcrowding). Since this was a leisure trip, we could afford to take our time.
Old Jun 12, 22, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I took international flights to get between two places that have direct trains in Europe. Some of the passport control policewomen got on my case for doing so. They couldn’t legally deny me entry or transit, but they questioned and admonished me at primary for taking an international trip by air instead of taking a domestic train and avoiding transit in their country. They were in disbelief that it was cheaper — and faster — for me to fly to make my way than to take the train. But cheaper and faster it was for me to fly than take the train. And so I continued to do so many, many dozens of times.

If the train was faster and cheaper, then I would take the train. But for me, it’s often faster and cheaper to include a flight in my travel plans than to use a train to cover the bulk of the distance. They’ve abolished the Covid-19 era passport control for that international flight route, but I’m still doing what I’ve been doing for years: flying even when trains are an alternative.
Old Jun 13, 22, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
I normally take the train between London and Paris. City center to city center, it's much faster. Plus, crucially, it's much less disruptive. You get 2 hours of peace in which to concentrate, as opposed to the plane where it's barely half an hour without interruption. So much time is wasted in airports, queuing, listening to bossy announcements etc. However, on price, flying would win.
Old Jun 13, 22, 3:34 pm

My list of reasons to prefer the train when it's viable keeps getting longer.
  1. No TSA!
  2. no stupid liquid/food rules
  3. when I get off the train, I'm usually within walking/short ride from my final destination, no need for a rental car
  4. trains are more comfortable, even some of the short haul, older trains
  5. it's a short walk from my home to a local train that quickly gets me to a major rail station, much easier than getting to the airport
  6. luggage doesn't cost extra
  7. better view out the window
  8. I can get a drink whenever I want it, not when the FA is in the mood
  9. no turbulence
  10. generally cheaper to travel by train, and the times door-to-door are usually close
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA PlatPro, UA Premier
Not the best example, but yesterday I flew JAX-DCA-LGA to get to my parents' place in New Jersey. Looking at it, it would have made far more sense to fly JAX-DCA and then Amtrak to MetroPark (about 20 minutes from my parents' house):

I landed in DCA at 455p (scheduled 425p) - ran and made my connection to LGA (500p Shuttle delayed until 530p) - landed at LGA at 1840. By the time the Q70 bus came at 1910, I got to Woodside to take the 1944 train to Penn, where I ended up on the 2005 Dover train (separate story since NJ Transit held an illegal strike last night and that was the last train for the night). Got to Summit at 2105, got home at 2125.

Had I just flown to DCA and then took Metro to WAS and hopped on the 1755 Corridor train, I'd have gotten into MetroPark around 2030 and home by 2050 - over 30 minutes earlier, with a lot less stress, and I wouldn't have gotten my monthly allotment of cardio running in DCA between gates during the connection.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
Not the best example, but yesterday I flew JAX-DCA-LGA to get to my parents' place in New Jersey. Looking at it, it would have made far more sense to fly JAX-DCA and then Amtrak to MetroPark (about 20 minutes from my parents' house):

I landed in DCA at 455p (scheduled 425p) - ran and made my connection to LGA (500p Shuttle delayed until 530p) - landed at LGA at 1840. By the time the Q70 bus came at 1910, I got to Woodside to take the 1944 train to Penn, where I ended up on the 2005 Dover train (separate story since NJ Transit held an illegal strike last night and that was the last train for the night). Got to Summit at 2105, got home at 2125.

Had I just flown to DCA and then took Metro to WAS and hopped on the 1755 Corridor train, I'd have gotten into MetroPark around 2030 and home by 2050 - over 30 minutes earlier, with a lot less stress, and I wouldn't have gotten my monthly allotment of cardio running in DCA between gates during the connection.
Why didn't you fly nonstop in the first place?
Old Jun 19, 22, 1:43 am

Depending on your timing, the King St-Old Town Metro station near the Alexandria Amtrak station might be even more convenient than going all the to Union Station on the Metro.
Old Jun 21, 22, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

This is more about the selection of LGA over EWR and the time it takes to get back to New Jersey from there.

There are JAX-EWR nonstops on United, and that would have been the fastest choice. JAX-PHL nonstop might not have been a terrible option either.
Old Jun 21, 22, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
This is more about the selection of LGA over EWR and the time it takes to get back to New Jersey from there.

There are JAX-EWR nonstops on United, and that would have been the fastest choice. JAX-PHL nonstop might not have been a terrible option either.
Exactly. It is silly to create a convoluted solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. JAX-DCA + train to anywhere in NJ costs more money and time than UA in this case.

Search this Thread