Wiki Posts
Search

14 Days Off - Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2022, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
14 Days Off - Where to go?

So I got the "surprise" of 14 days off in early August. I'd like to make the most of it by going somewhere, preferably outside of the USA. Anyone have any suggestions on where would be best to spend 14 days off? Trying to find a place that's more budget/reasonable in price. Not opposed to Europe, but I've done a lot of the "typical" European stuff (Paris, London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Nuremburg, etc).

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This recent thread may be helpful
Destination ideas for a 2-week travel in December
Old May 1, 2022, 10:24 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Lots of personal faves, might or might not work for you.

1. Atlantic Canada - Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, the Gaspe peninsula (Quebec) and maybe even France (Saint-Pierre & Miquelon.)
2. South Africa - Garden Route including Addo Elephant National Park, then over to West Coast National Park, ending in Cape Town. Google the places on this map - https://goo.gl/maps/xvqF6juYsJvXQnny6
3. Brittany - oysters, crepes and cider.
4. Northeastern Scotland - Aberdeenshire, Speyside whisky country, etc. Not as crazy popular as the western Highlands (or festival-season Edinburgh) but marvelous country with lots to see and do.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:42 pm
Taz

Programs: DL PM
Were it me, I'd be grabbing my golf clubs and heading for Scotland and Ireland. Beautiful countryside, plenty of opportunities for self induced frustration and loss of little white balls, as well as lots to do when digging divots.
Old May 3, 2022, 8:39 am

Given that time of year, it's hot and crowded in most of Europe anyway.

Might I suggest any combo of Colombia/Bolivia/Peru?
Old May 4, 2022, 2:21 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brewdog11
So I got the "surprise" of 14 days off in early August. I'd like to make the most of it by going somewhere, preferably outside of the USA. Anyone have any suggestions on where would be best to spend 14 days off? Trying to find a place that's more budget/reasonable in price. Not opposed to Europe, but I've done a lot of the "typical" European stuff (Paris, London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Nuremburg, etc).

Thanks!
I didn't quite have a full 2 weeks, but during an August a few years ago, I did a road trip around the Balkans, including Albania, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Croatia, and Bosnia. I booked it after finding a great J fare to TIA (Tirana, Albania), where we rented the car. It's a part of Europe that is still fairly untouched by many Americans (well, besides Croatia, which became very popular the past few years), and I found it to be quite safe. Some of the scenery is absolutely stunning, and you'll find that many people speak quite good English, particularly in more populated areas.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:14 pm

I concur with Taz. Visit Scotland. It’s beautiful. From Edinburg Waverley Station you can get to Oban an the Outer Hebrides. Trip of a lifetime.
Old May 7, 2022, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Gallus1
I concur with Taz. Visit Scotland. It’s beautiful. From Edinburg Waverley Station you can get to Oban an the Outer Hebrides. Trip of a lifetime.
Welcome to FT, Gallus1.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Welcome to FT, Gallus1.
thank you! I’ve been a voyeur for years!
just posted that I’m travelling F to SFO soon and offered an invitation for a “guest” but had my proverbial wrist slapped and post removed! I just thought someone would appreciate the offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.