FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   When you stand up to people who cut in line at the airport, how do they respond? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/2075200-when-you-stand-up-people-who-cut-line-airport-how-do-they-respond.html)

WeekendTraveler Apr 10, 2022 8:06 am

When you stand up to people who cut in line at the airport, how do they respond?

Today I was boarding a flight, in group 1. There was a guy in front of me, and people actually lined up before boarding began.

A woman came zooming around me, trying to cut in front of me. I said, very loudly, “Ma’am, please wait your turn!” She didn’t say anything but she immediately bounced back a few feet and then scurried around the boarding line and cut in front of the whole group.

Have you called out people who cut in line at the airport? If so, how did they respond?

FFlash Apr 10, 2022 9:16 am

All the time.
I do stand up. Why not? What I hate most are people who think they are above others.

enviroian Apr 10, 2022 12:50 pm

I too always stand up. I normally say "really?" or "do you mind?". I usually get rolled eyes or a look of disgust. I then just shake my head.

Badenoch Apr 10, 2022 3:14 pm

I'm not inclined to unilaterally appoint myself line monitor when boarding a plane particularly in Group 1. My seat is confirmed. If I'm in the first group to board there will be sufficient overhead space for my carry on. I don't lose anything tangible by letting some jerk with a sense of entitlement cut the line. I'll save my confrontations for situations that matter and this isn't one of them.

SCChris Apr 10, 2022 4:37 pm

At least in the US (except perhaps WN), the problem that I have is that there isn't necessarily a distinct line, it is more of a scrum or blob of people.

For DL/AA/AS the same Priority line is used for 2-4 different boarding groups, often times people in higher groups will camp out there and block those whose time it is for boarding. In these instances it's hard to know who is really group 1 or whatever and who is just hanging out.

UA is a little better with distinct Group 1 and Group 2 lines, though UA has so many preboarding groups (like 4 or 5) that that creates a different mess of people trying to get around the formed lines, plus there are so many in G1/G2 that the end of line can become their own scrum.

Some GA's will do a decent job of trying to manage the boarding area, but in other cases you may have a gate area boarding an A321 with enough space for a DC-9 worth of passengers so there is nowhere to go.

jrl767 Apr 10, 2022 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by SCChris (Post 34153988)
At least in the US … it is more of a scrum or blob of people.

For DL/AA/AS the same Priority line is used for 2-4 different boarding groups, often times people in higher groups will camp out there and block those whose time it is for boarding. In these instances it's hard to know who is really group 1 or whatever and who is just hanging out. …

Some GA's will do a decent job of trying to manage the boarding area, but in other cases you may have a gate area boarding an A321 with enough space for a DC-9 worth of passengers so there is nowhere to go.

what’s a DC-9? :p :D

there’s a recent thread in the DL forum

random.parts Apr 10, 2022 7:35 pm

I think it matters where that line is located and what it is for, non-US countries seem to have 2 ways to go about it - be the line cutter or be the person that lets it happen. Not really a problem I encounter in US lines, someone always seems to say something, and I have run into more confrontational people outside the US when saying something than within.

In the domestic terminal of AKL, there was a single extra slow/crowded/busy security line, Im #2 when these 2 guys from about 10-15 back push their way to the front and no one said anything to them. I called them out and told them "there is a line" which they seemed taken aback that anyone said anything.

They then looked at the guy in front of me who they cut off, and who seemed resigned to letting them cut, but who then looked at me (for courage or for me to answer for him I don't know). He finally repeated "there is a line" (in his kiwi accent) and pointed back towards it. The 2 guys began to protest that they have to get to their flights, when finally one person behind me said they did too. Then others joined in that we all have flights to catch (everyone was running late and security had already asked for people in line w/ flights leaving in x minutes, they were not in that group). The guys moved back to their place. Everyone they pushed through was obviously annoyed, but, too polite to say anything?

Boarding groups dont seem like a line that matters much since it is hurry up and wait, the plane is not leaving while you are in line - but letting people keep cutting in security or atm or ticket lines means trading/giving away your time to them for free.

hotelboy Apr 10, 2022 7:47 pm

Does it really matter? Everyone on the plane arrives at the same time.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Apr 10, 2022 8:02 pm

See my post here in a similar thread.

Bogwoppit Apr 10, 2022 8:48 pm

It is the big mob/line up that confuses me. Aren’t we supposed to remain seated until our boarding group is called? They do not announce, "all groups form one big line please".

So I come from the lounge, wait to the side, they call my group and I walk to the line. How the hell do I know where to join it? Do I go to the very back, even though 90% of the people are in later boarding groups?

if I go to the front, when they call my group, am I cutting in front?

Unless they enforce the “stay seated” rule, it is always going to leave you feeling like people are cutting in.

LarryJ Apr 11, 2022 2:09 am

Instead of a passive-aggressive approach (or even an aggressive-aggressive one), why not react as though they are making an honest mistake--even if it's obvious that it isn't a mistake. Keep the interaction more civil and without you causing it to escalate.

roberino Apr 11, 2022 3:24 am

Let them board first. Watch where their overhead bag goes. Move it 8 rows back. Enjoy the fireworks when everyone is deplaning.

Super Mario Apr 11, 2022 5:17 am

One of many reasons I prefer to fly where I have a confirmed seat. I have zero interest in lining up and participating in all of the tension when boarding. Everyone is so stressed and anxious for no reason. I will walk on when all of the crazies are done. Even better when I have a checked bag.

WeekendTraveler Apr 11, 2022 6:04 am

Originally Posted by hotelboy (Post 34154320)
Does it really matter? Everyone on the plane arrives at the same time.

Yes, it matters. If everyone would take turns and play by the rules, travel would be less stressful and more efficient.

Spanish Apr 11, 2022 6:31 am

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler (Post 34155109)
Yes, it matters. If everyone would take turns and play by the rules, travel would be less stressful and more efficient.

+1 for this. I'll have to admit, sometimes I walk up to the podium and say "Boarding?" in a ridiculous accent and pretend I don't speak the local language. I'm then the first on the airplane when boarding commences. Works 100% of the time.