Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When you stand up to people who cut in line at the airport, how do they respond?

When you stand up to people who cut in line at the airport, how do they respond?

Old Apr 11, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I've heard in Japan people are very disciplined and line up pertinent to their boarding zone. Is this accurate?
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Yes, it matters. If everyone would take turns and play by the rules, travel would be less stressful and more efficient.
My stress level is reduced by not sweating the small stuff. YMMV.
BlueJayFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 10:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
My stress level is reduced by not sweating the small stuff. YMMV.
That's a fair position and understood. To each his own--lawlessness and disorder and rulebreaking just make me go bonkers. To me, lawlessness and rulebreaking are not "fair"--and in my view, someone who "cheats" on small things will cheat on big things, and neither is acceptable.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Does it really matter? Everyone on the plane arrives at the same time.
I do realize this problem is caused as much by the airlines as it is passengers between bag fees and cramming as many seats as possible into the aircraft but it matters when I want/need to board and secure overhead space but it matters even more for securing overhead space near my row so when we land and I have a tight connection, I don't have to swim upstream to try to get my carryon bag, further delaying my getting to the next flight and possibly misconnecting. If you're on a nonstop flight or your final flight of the day, maybe less of a big deal.
​​
I also prefer to be in my seat as soon as possible to reduce the chance of a seat poacher taking my seat and then trying to guilt me into moving since they're "already settled in" (and unfortunately FA's can sometimes be compliant in this too).
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 3:14 pm

I prefer to board early as I like to get settled in before dealing with any last minute stuff that always seems to occur. And since I don't get to sit in the front very often, it's doesn't hurt to get secure overhead space.

IME, many of these queue jumpers also tend to be middle seaters who want to try to poach a better seat (who often end up having a doubly bad day). I have called a few of them out, usually because they ram into me while trying to push through. Usually get the stinkeye afterwords from them.
Tanic, TPACjv and WeekendTraveler like this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Some airlines do better than others at policing the lines. I feel like we have gone over this issue many times, but here are my top points:

-- If your boarding group is called, and "the queue" doesn't move, that means those queued passengers are not a part of the called boarding group. Bypassing that queue to go to the scanner after a few seconds is acceptable.
-- AA often has more of a scrum than a queue. Don't know why, but people often form a mob behind the partitions rather than an orderly line within the partitions. Same rule as above. If the scrum does not move, bypassing it to get to the scanner is acceptable.
-- If there is an orderly queue which is moving along as boarding groups are called, then the correct thing to do is to get in the back of the queue.
-- If you have minimal luggage and especially an aisle seat, it is usually nicer to wait for the masses to board before following suit. You might want to let the gate agent know you are present, but waiting until the jetway is empty.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 4:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastflyer
-- If you have minimal luggage and especially an aisle seat, it is usually nicer to wait for the masses to board before following suit. You might want to let the gate agent know you are present, but waiting until the jetway is empty.
If you're in Group 1, same? Great post--I'm just curious about the sentences above.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
I've heard in Japan people are very disciplined and line up pertinent to their boarding zone. Is this accurate?
I can't speak for Japan (although it would not surprise me). Taiwanese airlines are usually pretty good at wrangling North American folk into lines. They usually have things set up with people holding up signs with boarding group and people line up behind. The initial mass of wheelchairs goes first (a bit chaotic, but still quite organized). After that, it's kinda like a tour group, you follow the leader.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 5:13 am

Programs: BA, QF, Avis, Marriott
Ah this pearler.

YMMW - it depends upon airline, country, time of the day. For example, a BA flight from Cairo in the off-season, will tend to have fewer top-tier flyers, compared to, say, a European capital > LHR on a Friday afternoon, when a fair whack of the aircraft will be Golds and above - and therefore all in Group 1. I remember once flying from ARN to LHR around 6:00pm, and I swear well over half the aircraft were Golds. Group 1 was well-behaved, though.

Americans tend to worry about this the most - and, it is understandable, as it is a genuine and very tiresome bun fight for overhead bin space on domestic US flights. As undignified as WN's system is, at least it works.

For me, I tend to let queue jumpers go. If two minutes really means that much to them, let them have it. It is satisfying when the gate agent sends queue jumpers back. QF ground crew are ruthless. It's very satisfying to watch.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
There is nowhere better to witness a human’s misplaced sense of entitlement than at the gate of a departing flight. A modern day anthropologist should write a book about it - or better yet, a documentary with hidden cameras.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Line cutters, scrum, and gate lice are about one thing - securing overhead bin space directly above their seat. All too often, people travel with more cabin baggage than they are allowed, and will do anything to serve themselves by taking advantage of the system in any way they can.
sushanna1 and WeekendTraveler like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Line cutters, scrum, and gate lice are about one thing - securing overhead bin space directly above their seat. All too often, people travel with more cabin baggage than they are allowed, and will do anything to serve themselves by taking advantage of the system in any way they can.
I can't speak for others, but I generally carry just one bag. Occasionally I carry two, usually if I have more delicate stuff that I feel comfortable carrying without jostling. And when I do, it's one up top, one below. That said, often the reason why there is a lack of overhead space is because people buy lots of stuff in duty free or they don't know how to place stuff in the overhead bins. I've had to warn people as they start removing my backpack so they can put their stuff in (sloppily). If they were to put things in there properly, often there is sufficient space (or if they made use of the space in front of them... but that would be asking too much)
TPACjv likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by hotelboy
Does it really matter? Everyone on the plane arrives at the same time.
I used to think that way too , but not anymore. Today's flyers are ruder and pushier than ever. I'm 50+ at one time I believed in a kinder, gentler traveler. Anyone
tries to cut in front of me, I'll clothesline them! (haha--just kidding ,but it sounds good).

While it really doesn't matter, it does matter if you let yourself get disrespected. That is how I look at it.
TPACjv, strickerj, Spanish and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
There is nowhere better to witness a human’s misplaced sense of entitlement than at the gate of a departing flight. A modern day anthropologist should write a book about it - or better yet, a documentary with hidden cameras.
We most certainly have scientists on this forum. Perhaps a research project is in order!
TPACjv likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: UA MM
One that makes me chuckle is the person who tries to board early, is told by the GA that it is not yet his/her time, and then steps back a few feet, now in front of everyone else who has been waiting, to be able to cut everyone when that group is called. Not being willing to wait your turn is simply disrespectful and yes, fighting for the overhead bin space is a zero sum game.
TPACjv likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.