Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which jobs require a ton of air travel (long flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

I had this conversation with a friend but interested to see what people here will say.

What jobs are still out there that require a lot of travel - and not like Columbus to Harrisburg but like Dallas to Hong Kong or LA to London?
And in particular in business class or above where the flights are likely to be expensive (and comfortable if the company pays for business class)?

Like George Clooney in Up in the Air.

I've seen some people posting here and there about CK status and significant Transatlantic AA metal first class flights paid for by their company and am jealous.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by md80only
I had this conversation with a friend but interested to see what people here will say.

What jobs are still out there that require a lot of travel - and not like Columbus to Harrisburg but like Dallas to Hong Kong or LA to London?
And in particular in business class or above where the flights are likely to be expensive (and comfortable if the company pays for business class)?

I've seen some people posting here and there about CK status and significant Transatlantic AA metal first class flights paid for by their company and am jealous.
Most people flying long haul biweekly in premium classes are probably high up execs in any business.

For short haul the most frequent travelers are probably management consultants but that's also probably changed since covid and much more of it will be remote.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:19 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this topic is not specific to AA nor the AAdvantage forum, let's move this over to TravelBuzz for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz and AAdvantage forum moderator
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
A few postings in: Hire a Flyertalker

For instance, see the last post in that thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34021321-post829.html

David
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:37 am

Flight attendants and pilots.
🤣
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

You say not like Columbus to Harrisburg but then also say "like George Clooney in Up in the Air" - doesn't he make a many such treks including from OKC to OMA or ICT in the film? ('m also pretty sure all of his travel was domestic - no int'l flying shown in that movie).
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Sales/management or something within international companies.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
A lot less since Covid it seems. With little real travel in the last 2 years, many businesses seem to have just 'worked round' the problem - irrespective of it's better for the business or not.
(Ok you can fly to USA now, but most of Asia etc is still closed in real terms)

I work for a global company in a tech role dealing with bespoke technology systems, was a lot of travel. Mostly since covid the company has just decided to sweat the assets/pause investment in new technology/infrastructure and so on. Meh, I enjoyed the travel, I imagine there are others in similar roles.
Not helped by what could be an economic slow down round the corner/increase in inflation and so on, makes spending on large capital projects look risky right now.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
International sales and/or contract management in the aerospace or defense industries.

Defense in particular is less exposed to the ups and downs of the economy than most other industries, and, conversely, global unrest can actually be good for business.
Milwaukee likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by PresRDC
International sales and/or contract management in the aerospace or defense industries.

Defense in particular is less exposed to the ups and downs of the economy than most other industries, and, conversely, global unrest can actually be good for business.
Someone needs a new plane: AN225 “Mriya” is destroyed

David
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Engineers and others in natural resource operations, and those people have been flying throughout this pandemic.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:06 pm

Long haul traffic like you mention will primarily be C-level executives and similarly positioned people running their companies. This type of travel has pretty much diminished among most other professions. I have a few banker friends who used to routinely travel to Hong Kong, India, London and other places and now this is all done remotely. Some love that, some miss the travel.

Long haul travel for business like that is not the glamour you may think it is. Sure, they had fun and some dinners, but those trips are really just there and back with business in between.

Work for a travel company (luxury travel ideally ) who sends you to see and vet new places, renovations, etc. Way more fun that way.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:53 pm

I served as the regional head of a publicly-held U.S. company and lived this life for years. Constantly in J and even F on CX, JL, AA, QR, EY, QF, BA etc. I flew so much and my company paid so much that one large global airline invited me to a VIP harbor cruise and seafood dinner sitting directly next to their regional head in Hong Kong. Sounds like fun, right? Not really. The novelty of constant long-haul travel, even in the premium cabins, wears off very fast. Constant jet lag takes a toll on the body and mind. Eventually I just wanted to stay put in a comfortable place near the people I cared about. So I did that, and now keep to a handful of interesting trips per year. I find that I'm much happier.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
In the past, there has been some chatter from a few who wanted to become a diplomatic courier for the US State Department. Lots of long haul travel (probably not in C/J) to a wide variety of places around the globe. Couriers baggage allowance is usually taken up with diplomatic pouches so only carry-ons. The hiring process is supposed to be very long with security clearances needed.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by BillMorrow
In the past, there has been some chatter from a few who wanted to become a diplomatic courier for the US State Department. Lots of long haul travel (probably not in C/J) to a wide variety of places around the globe. Couriers baggage allowance is usually taken up with diplomatic pouches so only carry-ons. The hiring process is supposed to be very long with security clearances needed.
J is allowed for federal workers, but only in very limited and specific circumstances. Here's the law: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/41/301-10.123

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.