AN225 “Mriya” is destroyed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, AA EP, BA Gold, KE Million Miler, UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, HH D, IHG Diamond

It’s a sad news to hear today
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by airlinesandme
Antonov AN225 Destoryed

It’s a sad news to hear today
Was it a one-of? It certainly was useful for its (very) heavy lift (and wide size) capacity which may not be replaceable. If any airlines need a GE-90-110/115 (or even bigger) engine flown into a remote airport to replace a blown engine, the alternatives may be slow and painful.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Was it a one-of? It certainly was useful for its (very) heavy lift (and wide size) capacity which may not be replaceable. If any airlines need a GE-90-110/115 (or even bigger) engine flown into a remote airport to replace a blown engine, the alternatives may be slow and painful.
Yes, the An-225 was a one-off. Only one was built and as you note, carried unique cargo not transportable by other aircraft types and alternate methods could be very slow.

I saw this aircraft just a few weeks ago at Billund, Denmark. I could see it across the ramp while in the terminal. Hundreds if not thousands of people came out to line the airport perimeter fence watch the An-225 depart. We taxied out and then had to hold while the An-225 crossed the runway.
MSPeconomist and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I saw this aircraft just a few weeks ago at Billund, Denmark. I could see it across the ramp while in the terminal. Hundreds if not thousands of people came out to line the airport perimeter fence watch the An-225 depart. We taxied out and then had to hold while the An-225 crossed the runway.
For me, I *think* it was at Payne Field a.k.a. Everett, or (less likely, BFI) probably transporting a GE 90-110/115.

At any rate, kind of surprised it wasn't moved out of harm's way.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:14 pm

If the plane was used to support the invasion, this is not sad news at all.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Uh, aircraft was Ukrainian.

David
Tanic, pinniped, RI2KH2SU and 8 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:49 pm

For me, I *think* it was at Payne Field a.k.a. Everett, or (less likely, BFI) probably transporting a GE 90-110/115.

At any rate, kind of surprised it wasn't moved out of harm's way.
it was sans one engine IIRc getting repaired unfortunately.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225_Mriya

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-124_Ruslan
PresRDC likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like a lot of logistics managers are going to have to find other means of transportation.
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Yes, the An-225 was a one-off. Only one was built and as you note, carried unique cargo not transportable by other aircraft types and alternate methods could be very slow.

A second has sat partially completed for some time.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:49 am

Programs: Le Club Accor
This aircraft for me was a «monument» !
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:22 am

No, not a one off, 3 I think. Would imagine this one was kept flying by robbing bits off the others.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 3:35 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Lizie
No, not a one off, 3 I think. Would imagine this one was kept flying by robbing bits off the others.
There is only ONE AN-225 (Mriya). There are quite a few AN-124s (Ruslan) out there.

The second AN-225 was never finished. There are some parts of it that have been in the works since the late 1980s, but it was never finished. Antonov Airlines is a moneymaking machine, but the market did not need 2 such planes, so they never finished the second one.

I'm proud to say that both my dad and grandpa both were involved in the development of the plane as engineers.

Here is the chief pilot's youtube channel where he filmed many of the takeoffs and landings (mostly in Russian) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_i...2qZQcu2feXWhDg
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
… If any airlines need a GE-90-110/115 (or even bigger) engine flown into a remote airport to replace a blown engine, the alternatives may be slow and painful.
the engine core fits in the An-124, because that’s how Boeing currently gets it from the GE plant in Evendale OH (suburban Cincinnati) to the Everett factory; as YVR states, the issue concerns an engine replacement at an outstation, because the fully built-up engine (with the nacelle and fan cowl in place) doesn’t, so the affected airline would be looking at surface transportation or having to set up additional engine buildup tooling and equipment on site
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think in most cases a 747 freighter or An-124 can do the job as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.