Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Funny, recently I was on an ATL to LGA flight at 9:30 AM, presumably with a lot of business travel customers. All windows were shut in F, and presumably most were .... in Y, all flight. That's a classic morning / daytime flight.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Funny, recently I was on an ATL to LGA flight at 9:30 AM, presumably with a lot of business travel customers. All windows were shut in F, and presumably most were .... in Y, all flight. That's a classic morning / daytime flight.
yeah, sorry, nope ... window addict here; on a daytime flight I'll pull the shade part way down if the sun is shining *directly* in the window (or if there's significant glare/reflection), but otherwise it goes up as soon as I take my seat ... that said, if the adjacent passenger complains, I'll gladly discuss the definition of "part way down" without getting a FA involved
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I prefer closed but I also sit in the aisle. If the sun isn't glaring through the window and not disrupting IFE or computer screen I don't care. If it is and the window passenger isn't looking out the window I might ask nicely if they would lower the blind. Their attitude and cooperation will be mirrored should they ask me rise so they can access the aisle.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I am amazed (or maybe I shouldn't be) that so many people do not want to see SFO or NYC at departure or arrival. On a plane that doesn't have a single seat on the sides, I am usually in the aisle, and will open the shades if window pax hasn't arrived and shade otherwise closed when boarding. I also do not understand closing the shades on flights where the remainder of the flight is at night. On a recent JFK/SFO, departing at near 11pm, window pax slammed shut the shade, and opened it a few times mid-flight and slammed it back shut.

I've only had hundreds of Bay Area airport departures and never tire of looking out the window at/after takeoff.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Can't believe the aircraft makers haven't pitched a no-window version of their models for passenger use yet.

I'm sure it's cheaper to build without windows than with, and if there's one thing we know about big companies, it's how they worship money.

Stick a couple of cameras outside on each side of the plane and pipe in "a full color, HD, wide angle view" onto PTV screens or streaming onto pax devices. Those who really want to "look out the window" can do so with a selection of views, never with water spots or dirt obstructing the view, always with a much larger angle of sky and ground than you can ever get out of a tiny window.

Those who demand real windows can book exit rows for a premium.

Win-win for everyone.
Personally, I would never fly on a plane with no windows. Having survived a couple emergency landings - the sort where there are fire trucks and ambulances waiting for your plane to stop moving before they come rushing over - I want to be able to see what's happening during take-off and landing, and what the conditions outside are if there is an emergency evacuation ordered.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:47 am

Can't believe the aircraft makers haven't pitched a no-window version of their models for passenger use yet.

I'm sure it's cheaper to build without windows than with, and if there's one thing we know about big companies, it's how they worship money.

Stick a couple of cameras outside on each side of the plane and pipe in "a full color, HD, wide angle view" onto PTV screens or streaming onto pax devices. Those who really want to "look out the window" can do so with a selection of views, never with water spots or dirt obstructing the view, always with a much larger angle of sky and ground than you can ever get out of a tiny window.
If memory serves correctly, the middle first class "capsules" in Emirates have fake video windows.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Personally, I would never fly on a plane with no windows. Having survived a couple emergency landings - the sort where there are fire trucks and ambulances waiting for your plane to stop moving before they come rushing over - I want to be able to see what's happening during take-off and landing, and what the conditions outside are if there is an emergency evacuation ordered.
In my idea, you'd have a much better view to see what's happening with video views from your seat, and you'd still have windows at the exits.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my idea, you'd have a much better view to see what's happening with video views from your seat, and you'd still have windows at the exits.
And of course, the cameras will be working just fine during these emergency procedures! One might actually want to see what is going on right outside his/her window, i.e., the fire is behind me, in front of me, etc.
Tanic, CDTraveler, TGarza and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:46 am

You make assumptions that I don't trust - like that when there's an electrical problem, the damn cameras would actually still work, and that forward-facing cameras would show you all that is relevant to a safe emergency evacuation outside the aircraft.
strickerj and planesquid like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You make assumptions that I don't trust - like that when there's an electrical problem, the damn cameras would actually still work, and that forward-facing cameras would show you all that is relevant to a safe emergency evacuation outside the aircraft.
Well, you're making assumptions that you will get a window seat, that it's not hazy/dirty, and that in the narrow field of view, you'll see all that is relevant to a safe emergency evacuation outside the aircraft.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:03 pm

Well, you're making assumptions that you will get a window seat, that it's not hazy/dirty, and that in the narrow field of view, you'll see all that is relevant to a safe emergency evacuation outside the aircraft.
No assumption involved, 3 lived experiences.

Also, your monitors idea involves actually being positioned in front of one. An emergency evacuation is a situation where people are out of their seats, moving, trying to reach a safe exit point. You can see flames even through a hazy window, and great big fire trucks are also pretty easy to spot, even at night.

Also, the "" is ridiculously childish, especially in the context of the topic of emergency evacuations.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No assumption involved, 3 lived experiences.

Also, your monitors idea involves actually being positioned in front of one. An emergency evacuation is a situation where people are out of their seats, moving, trying to reach a safe exit point. You can see flames even through a hazy window, and great big fire trucks are also pretty easy to spot, even at night.

Also, the "" is ridiculously childish, especially in the context of the topic of emergency evacuations.
If you've lived through three experiences in your lifetime where you've had to evacuate a plane because of a crash, you must realize that you're a complete outlier.

My idea was in response to the posit of airlines eliminating windows entirely. As I think the odds of that are longer than the odds of any individual experiencing three separate evacuations of airplanes in their lifetime, this conversation is 100% hypothetical. And subject to emoticons.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you've lived through three experiences in your lifetime where you've had to evacuate a plane because of a crash, you must realize that you're a complete outlier.

My idea was in response to the posit of airlines eliminating windows entirely. As I think the odds of that are longer than the odds of any individual experiencing three separate evacuations of airplanes in their lifetime, this conversation is 100% hypothetical. And subject to emoticons.
Only one emergency landing with a fire brigade greeting here. Fortunately, no emergency evacuation necessary, as the landing gear didn't collapse. So, does that make me an incomplete outlier, or just a lier?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Only one emergency landing with a fire brigade greeting here. Fortunately, no emergency evacuation necessary, as the landing gear didn't collapse. So, does that make me an incomplete outlier, or just a lier?
Just an out.

David
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too have had an emergency landing - no flaps on our little CR200, and I was in the exit row, so the FA came and gave us the REAL briefing on what to do if it came to that.

It diidn't come to anything. It was a hot landing, one the pilots have practiced for countless times. The lights on the firetrucks were pretty, though.

It didn't change my outlook over windows, exit rows, or safety of planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.