Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
On the 787 you often have no choice. On an AA MAD-DFW flight on Thursday the shades were set to full dark shortly after takeoff and were reopened close to landing. You had no ability to lighten them yourself. I thought this was unnecessarily restrictive as I have always enjoyed looking out the window on long haul day flights.

Those planes are doubly irritating because (1) the windows don't go completely dark and if the sun is pointing at your window it can be very annoying, and (2) there is no way to open/lighten just a bottom portion of a window like you can with traditional shades.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 1:01 pm

A few years ago on a JAL Trans-Pacific flight, the FA asked me to lower the shade for energy conservation.
Recently, I have noticed announcements requesting shades be raised for landing. Any idea why?
Old Feb 8, 2022, 1:16 pm

It’s imperative for shades up in the exit row for take-off & landing; or ‘in the unlikely event of an accident’ = safety 101.
Otherwise, READ THE ROOM! Opening the shade onto a dark cabin while others are resting is egocentric. Some flyers have been up since the early hours are changing time zones and have missed sleep. BE KIND and look around you before jacking up that window shade on a darkened resting cabin. You can also use your words, and confer with your seat mates.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Iam Jetlagged
It’s imperative for shades up in the exit row for take-off & landing; or ‘in the unlikely event of an accident’ = safety 101.
Otherwise, READ THE ROOM! Opening the shade onto a dark cabin while others are resting is egocentric. Some flyers have been up since the early hours are changing time zones and have missed sleep. BE KIND and look around you before jacking up that window shade on a darkened resting cabin. You can also use your words, and confer with your seat mates.
FT has formatting options even on the mobile site. Just select the specific text and apply B or I or U on it. No need to use to ALL CAPS. Just appears loud. "Read the room" applies to online message boards also, imo. No need to yell when the intent is to emphasize.

However, semantics aside, I agree with the broader points in your note. I put my shades down a recent JAL flight (HND-JFK) when most of the sparsely populated J cabin started lowering them post-meal, although I really wanted to stare/photograph the seas!
Old Feb 8, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta, BA, SW
I almost always choose a window seat because I like looking out the window. I would be really upset if my window were electronically darkened unless it was totally cloudy outside. Pilots used to point out interesting features to see, like the Mississippi River. I guess too many people these days are just looking at their screens. They're missing alot.
psusaver, TGarza and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:25 pm

I love flying with the shade up. But if it's a long haul flight and people want to get acclimated to the new time zone I feel too guilty leaving it up. Hate the trend of having to have the shades down. United flight attendants waste no time telling me to put my shade down. I think the flight attendants like it because everyone falls asleep, or acts like it's nighttime and leaves them alone.

On a day flight to Europe we were flying over gorgeous ice floes over Canada and Greenland. It was truly spectacular scenery. I was the only one looking out the window. Everyone else was watching movies or sleeping with their shades down.
psusaver and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Can't believe the aircraft makers haven't pitched a no-window version of their models for passenger use yet.

I'm sure it's cheaper to build without windows than with, and if there's one thing we know about big companies, it's how they worship money.

Stick a couple of cameras outside on each side of the plane and pipe in "a full color, HD, wide angle view" onto PTV screens or streaming onto pax devices. Those who really want to "look out the window" can do so with a selection of views, never with water spots or dirt obstructing the view, always with a much larger angle of sky and ground than you can ever get out of a tiny window.

Those who demand real windows can book exit rows for a premium.

Win-win for everyone.
superboi likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Can't believe the aircraft makers haven't pitched a no-window version of their models for passenger use yet.

I'm sure it's cheaper to build without windows than with, and if there's one thing we know about big companies, it's how they worship money.

Stick a couple of cameras outside on each side of the plane and pipe in "a full color, HD, wide angle view" onto PTV screens or streaming onto pax devices. Those who really want to "look out the window" can do so with a selection of views, never with water spots or dirt obstructing the view, always with a much larger angle of sky and ground than you can ever get out of a tiny window.

Those who demand real windows can book exit rows for a premium.

Win-win for everyone.

I actually am surprised no one has done this if it would be cheaper to have no windows.

As for the camera, I watch the air disasters series and the plane that crashed in the early 80's or late 70's shortly after taking off from O'Hare had a new feature of a bird eyes view camera out the front of the aircraft. Word is that camera was slowly phased out after the accident. I think I read that some still had it for a few years after but it eventually disappeared.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Stick a couple of cameras outside on each side of the plane and pipe in "a full color, HD, wide angle view" onto PTV screens or streaming onto pax devices.
This is already available in Emirates new First Class Cabin for the centre suites.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
I actually am surprised no one has done this if it would be cheaper to have no windows.

As for the camera, I watch the air disasters series and the plane that crashed in the early 80's or late 70's shortly after taking off from O'Hare had a new feature of a bird eyes view camera out the front of the aircraft. Word is that camera was slowly phased out after the accident. I think I read that some still had it for a few years after but it eventually disappeared.
As noted, some international airlines already have cameras. If the airlines are still jittery about showing takeoff and landing, they could easily set the systems to activate/deactivate at certain times. It ain't the 1980s no more - technology is far advanced from the grainy black and white single CRTs at the front bulkhead.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 11:50 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead

​​​​​​​I don't recall any complaints from the passengers
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
Airplane window shades open or closed?

I’m currently on a flight (left 8:30pm so dark out). My seatmate will open the window, look to see what’s going on, then close it. Lol. Why not just leave it open? I personally hate the windows closed it’s like traveling in a tin can not knowing anything, plus I’m prone to motion sickness. I get that in bright sunlight and watching something you want it closed. But on a night flight why have it closed?

Do you prefer open or closed?
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I can't stand windows open on day flights, but will always close at night because it will get light when people are still trying to sleep. Having a dark cabin on day flights plays havoc with jet lag avoidance.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I can't stand windows open on day flights, but will always close at night because it will get light when people are still trying to sleep. Having a dark cabin on day flights plays havoc with jet lag avoidance.
???? presumably your first sentence is supposed to read "window shades CLOSED on day flights" for consistence w your last sentence

numerous short-lived threads over the past few years; most recent was early this year
enviroian likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I prefer them open all the time except at certain points on TPAC's.

But I'm an aisle seat guy so it's never really my call unless I'm in a F/J config where there is only one seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.